Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Track day

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2008, 01:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day

I spent the day at Castle Combe yesterday for a track day which my sister bought for my birthday.

It was a package where you were firstly driven around by an instructor showing you the track and then doing a ""***** out" demo lap. You then swapped seats and went out to see what you can do. The standard of instruction was very high and the instructors help you in every respect to get down to fast effective lapping. You get 5 laps in the first car which was a bog standard Focus. I could not belive how good it was round the corners!

You that get 6 laps in a Formula Ford. That was a "tester" since it was very cramped inside and it was a bit like what we used to call a Varsity aircraft, ie a bucket of loose rivets travelling in formation! I did enjoy that once I got the feel of the car.

The next bit was a couple of demo laps in an Impreza STi, That was tweaked to 300 bhp and believe me that was fast. Another outstanding handling machine and I only frightened the instructor-and myself once, going into Quarry, that was a real "tippy toe" moment on the brakes! He was very good about it though I really did enjoy my 5 laps in that one.

Finally it was off again with the instructor driving an Elise for a couple of laps and then the changeover. What a good little car that is, I was confident in that first time into Quarry and it was a truly great experience. I had got up to my old racing speeds by then, and it is a little cracker through the corners. I had got Quarry sorted by then

I enjoyed every moment of that day-that instructors were all great blokes and very patient. They spent the whole time working for you and are also very fast and competent drivers. Youi get 27 laps all told which is just about right and is very good value.

I am saving up to go again when I can! I cant recommend it highly enough.

Must dash to watch qualifying.

Les
Old 26 April 2008, 01:20 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a great day Les, glad you enjoyed it, although Im sure with your previous experience you took to it like a duck to water and on a par with the instructors for your lap times
Old 26 April 2008, 02:52 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Who was that with? The Mrs owes me a track day from my birthday last year and that sounds good!
Old 27 April 2008, 11:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Who was that with? The Mrs owes me a track day from my birthday last year and that sounds good!
It is the Castle Combe Racing School NotRev, you can find them via Google. Just north of the M4 close to Bristol.

It is excellent value but does not cost peanuts of course. Very well organised and great instructors. I am already saving up to go again!

Les