Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need to write my first best main speach ( help me )

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2008, 08:38 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to write my first best man speech ( help me )

I am going to my best mates wedding next weekend and he has asked me to be the best man. I have never been to a wedding in my life and i havent got a clue how to write one.

Help me out lads what should and what shouldnt i include in it.

Any samples you can show me.

thanks

Last edited by vallumlj; 24 April 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 24 April 2008, 08:41 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Best man speeches and best man speech material

You'll get some help here....

Just think yourself yourself lucky that you only have to say it and not spell it (best main speach )
Old 24 April 2008, 08:54 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

been there , done that for my brother.. keep it simple and short if not confident( im not) (wedding went great then you remember you`re doing a speech!!) everyone there will know how hard it is and want you to succeed. just dont stand on the bridesmaids feet when you`re dancing with her..( ps YOU WILL HAVE TO DANCE WITH HER)

Seriously though, you will look back with pride when you`ve done it.
Old 24 April 2008, 08:58 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

lol all changed now. Quite tired this morning lol

thanks for the help so far

any more
Old 24 April 2008, 09:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

As above. KISS. Write one out using cribs/gags from Internet/friends, but not too many. The idea is to slightly embarass the groom without ruining his day. So remarks about his secret sex change are out.

Seriously. Write it down and walk around the garden practicing. On the day stay sober (ish) and don't worry about using the notes. Practice speaking slowly, to the extent it feels slightly unnatural to you.

Finally don't forget to say you would like to spank the bridesmaids. And then you can get p1ssed

You'll be fine. Best of luck.

Last edited by David Lock; 24 April 2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 24 April 2008, 09:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I went around to the grooms parents for a meal and took wine with me.

We had a great time and they dished all the dirt on their son and the things he did over the years including practicing his first kiss on their Labrador - that went down a treat.

If you want info talk to the parents first - over a drink or meal and not with the groom in attendance. They are likely to be flattered to be asked.

Most important rules,
Never include anything that will hurt the groom or bride - embarrass and raise a laugh is just fine, sad is ok but nothing that will hurt.

Practice the speech and delivery - timing is everything. Do not rush it on the day.

Finish on a high note and then the toast.
Old 24 April 2008, 09:49 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

was a best man about 10 yrs back, and despite dreading it, actually found that I quite enjoyed it once I'd stood up on got on with it, and I hate speaking in public! - so dont worry!

Couple of tips - practice your speech and timing lots of times, went through mine with my wife until i'd gotten it as good as I could have.

Mine went on for a couple of mins, and ended by saying will you all raise your glassed to the bride and groom. Seems 2 mins is about right.

Everyones expecting some embarrassing anecdotes, so might as well play to that - in mine I said ' before the groom met his wife to be, he spent most of his time either cleaning his car, waxing his car, polishing his car or hoovering his car. If he he wasnt doing any of that he was out driving his car, the car literally rocking to the sound of rick astley' (got a good few laughs that one).

I also seem to remember saying something along the lines of his previous girlfriends all having been mingers, so pleased to see his wife to be didnt follow his historical choice in women.

Good luck with it - most of the audience will probably have had a few by then, which makes it a lot easier to get a laugh out of them!

Neil
Old 24 April 2008, 09:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
was a best man about 10 yrs back, and despite dreading it, actually found that I quite enjoyed it once I'd stood up on got on with it, and I hate speaking in public! - so dont worry!

Couple of tips - practice your speech and timing lots of times, went through mine with my wife until i'd gotten it as good as I could have.

Mine went on for a couple of mins, and ended by saying will you all raise your glassed to the bride and groom. Seems 2 mins is about right.

Everyones expecting some embarrassing anecdotes, so might as well play to that - in mine I said ' before the groom met his wife to be, he spent most of his time either cleaning his car, waxing his car, polishing his car or hoovering his car. If he he wasnt doing any of that he was out driving his car, the car literally rocking to the sound of rick astley' (got a good few laughs that one).

I also seem to remember saying something along the lines of his previous girlfriends all having been mingers, so pleased to see his wife to be didnt follow his historical choice in women.

Good luck with it - most of the audience will probably have had a few by then, which makes it a lot easier to get a laugh out of them!

Neil
2 mins, did 25mins and was asked for an encore. how about the messages/telegrams and i bet they where 5-7 mins.

If it is real good then a longer speech is not a problem, anecdotes are great and good fun and you get to embarrass the groom - and bride

Do not set yourself a target time, write it, edit it and get the wife/gf to listen to it and see what you end up with.

I my case 2 mins was not enough to do my mate justice and thoroughly embarass him.
Old 24 April 2008, 11:14 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

I was the same. I was best man last weekend and had 20mins plus cards ...oh, and my powerpoint
I tried to stay away from the internet as it just ends up too scripted and rather impersonal. I had some cracking photos of him and did it in a 'This is Your Life' stylee with the red book, theme tune, the lot
I looked forward to the hecklers and ended up add-lib'ing and going off on a tangent a couple of times.
There's somethign very satisfying about a lot of people saying to you it's the best, best man's speech they've heard (pleasentries or not)
Old 24 April 2008, 11:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am sure that Swiss Tony could put you along the right lines there. Unless you want to stay best mates with the groom that is!

Les
Old 24 April 2008, 11:20 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Do the keys .................always gets a laff

Speach should last a bit more than 2 mins. Mine went on for 30mins but that was cos of a little bloke at the bar buying me metaxa's all day [not with the wedding party and never did find out who it was].

Roo
Old 24 April 2008, 12:44 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've been thinking of some gags for a mate of mine. The lad getting married has always been a bit fussy with his women so I was going to include that and list the attributes he was looking for.

Was then going to say something like "oh, hang on, the list has a spelling mistake - that should be a "C" rather than an "F"... ah yes - she's got to COOK like Nigella Lawson..."
Old 24 April 2008, 12:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
I've been thinking of some gags for a mate of mine. The lad getting married has always been a bit fussy with his women so I was going to include that and list the attributes he was looking for.

Was then going to say something like "oh, hang on, the list has a spelling mistake - that should be a "C" rather than an "F"... ah yes - she's got to COOK like Nigella Lawson..."
May i suggest you keep working away then

I would have gone along the lines of him being fussy although it appears she is not as fussy settling for him when you are a far better catch <big grin> and it just so happens you know of a good divorce <produces business card> lawyer....
^^^needs work as well

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 April 2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 24 April 2008, 01:07 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Got a Bestman role to play myself in July. I've already prepared bulletpoints on my laptop and whenever I think of anything or any information from others, I add it in.
I'm going to his parents tonight to get some history/photos etc.

I'm planning a speech with some powerpoint slides showing pictures/playing music then will sum up with a few minutes of traditional talk.

I'll be nervous on the day but I run a lot of meetings at work now so I'm getting used to waffling in front of crowds.
Also I did a presentation skills course recently which has helped!

Good luck mate and let us know how it goes.

Nick
Old 24 April 2008, 01:18 PM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

get absolutely hammered and wing it
Old 24 April 2008, 01:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

This is always a good icebreaker to start off.

"Funnily enough I was in this very hall just a few weeks ago. I was addressing the local Alcoholics Anonymous meeting."

Pause - look around at guests

"I must say it's nice to see so many familiar faces"

Old 24 April 2008, 01:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
This is always a good icebreaker to start off.

"Funnily enough I was in this very hall just a few weeks ago. I was addressing the local Alcoholics Anonymous meeting."

Pause - look around at guests

"I must say it's nice to see so many familiar faces"

LOL!
I heard that, only with it being a Donal Mcintyre sting to catch local criminals

goes down a treat in Manchester and Liverpool
Old 24 April 2008, 05:34 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Remember, never let facts get in the way of a good story and when in doubt make it up !

D
Old 24 April 2008, 08:04 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

have a look here

sample wedding speeches
Old 25 April 2008, 12:18 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

"Me and the groom have been through a lot together.

Thankfully none of them are here today"
Old 25 April 2008, 08:52 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

I started my speech off with 'Fornication' (Say it quite loud to get everyones attention then pause) Then look at your notes in a puzzled way and say 'whoops sorry can't read my own writing, FOR AN OCCASION, such as this........) This went down a treat and relaxes the audience some what. Agree with content that is embarressing but not hurtful.