Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Harry Ramsdens, dont bother!

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2008, 10:58 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Harry Ramsdens, dont bother!

Just in from my mums birthday, and all she really wanted was to go to Harry Ramsdens for fish and chips, so off 5 of us go,
remembering what it used to be like last time we went (about 8/9 years ago!).

Service was turd, although we did get a decent table, ordered our starters + meals + drinks, and waited for 20 minutes
Drinks arrived flay as a pancake, and not very cold, and we wait a further 20 minutes!
There were 6 things we ordered that they were out of
So we re-order, and about 20 minutes later our mains arrived, with 4 rounds of stale bread and butter
No sign of our starters, so i called over the waitress, who was somewhat apologetic, and scuttles of to get them.
Seriously, we'd eaten about half of our greasy fish and chips, before leaving the rest even tho we were starving, when the starters arrived, without any dips as they had non

By this time my mum (felt really sorry for her as she just fancied fish and chips for dinner) lost her rag big time, and stomped off to get the manager

After a few words on the quiet, the manager came over to our table and apologized, and said it was free of charge, even gave us free deserts and a few extra rounds at the bar

God, i remember it being really nice there too many many years ago, but its really gone to turd
How hard is it to serve decent fish and chips for gods sake

Rant over
Old 10 April 2008, 11:00 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had many good meals there, but again - lots of years ago
Old 10 April 2008, 11:00 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

There's no such thing as customer service anymore ....... unless you're prepared to pay through the nose for it!
Old 10 April 2008, 11:02 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

yeah similar t ours in blackpool

£30 for fish and chipa and crap service and greasy chips and bread thinner then a £10 note
Old 10 April 2008, 11:10 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

30 quid for fish and chips,,are you effing insane..mind you i did go to tenby and fish and were six quid,,i walked straight out the door and cooked my own back at caravan..im going back a few years btw
Old 10 April 2008, 11:15 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Whilst im having a moany moment, get this, the 'Harrys Challenge' used to consist of :

-Massive fish, massive portion of chips, beans + mushy peas, bread and butter, and a free desert if you finished it all (not forgetting the certificate )

Now its just:

- Medium fish, medium chips, farty portion of beans! Thats It....OOOOooooohhh, massive challenge that is

Bloody rip of merchants

Was tempted to pinch the hand soap from the bogs as a kind of tit for tat thing, but my missus talked me out of it saying it was childish
Still, i was tempted
Old 10 April 2008, 11:20 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
There's no such thing as customer service anymore ....... unless you're prepared to pay through the nose for it!
They made a mistake and apologised for it then gave lots of stuff for free what more do you want might have been a **** up but at least they tried to make up for it.
Old 10 April 2008, 11:25 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

GOSH you should of took the hand soap..Typical for a woman to say it's childish,when it's a guy that wantas revenge
Old 10 April 2008, 11:25 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
30 quid for fish and chips,,are you effing insane..mind you i did go to tenby and fish and were six quid,,i walked straight out the door and cooked my own back at caravan..im going back a few years btw
What you mean it was cheaper for you to cook your own than a business to pay for a premises, heating, lighting, gas, staff, high of rates NI and 17.5 to the VAT man. What a shocker. There is no other business that operates such strict tight margins as restaurants and yet people still complain when they actually have to pay any money for food. Cod costs a fortune now and decent quality cod even more but its shame the customer thinks thats a restaurants fault.
Old 10 April 2008, 11:30 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's the restaurant fault.price gets past down through the ranks..im talking about a normal fish and chip shop..no lighting no sit down eat in service..besisdes i like cooking anyway and found it more fun to cook for us all....
Old 10 April 2008, 11:38 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
I don't think it's the restaurant fault.price gets past down through the ranks..im talking about a normal fish and chip shop..no lighting no sit down eat in service..besisdes i like cooking anyway and found it more fun to cook for us all....
and another thing..its not that i dont pay to eat out now and then..it just gets my mind going cuz im thinking yea just another rip off britain..put it this way i had two family size pizza,glass of beer,and glass of red wine,when was in czech,and it came to 285 cz coruna.that was two year ago,i dont know the exchange rate now,but it was less than a tenner,still the same restaurant lighting and etc..and it was actually beer you could drink..not the **** water **** you get here
Old 10 April 2008, 11:41 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It's a bloody glorified chip 'oil. I don't know why anyone would bother going there. Crap service is inexcusable from any restaurant, though.
Old 11 April 2008, 12:03 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
and another thing..its not that i dont pay to eat out now and then..it just gets my mind going cuz im thinking yea just another rip off britain..put it this way i had two family size pizza,glass of beer,and glass of red wine,when was in czech,and it came to 285 cz coruna.that was two year ago,i dont know the exchange rate now,but it was less than a tenner,still the same restaurant lighting and etc..and it was actually beer you could drink..not the **** water **** you get here
It costs over £6.50 to pay a worker in the UK for one hours work. In czech republic it costs £1.00 or less. Gas and energy costs in check will be less than half than in the UK and BUsiness rates would be 1/4 of UK. Food cost is less and alcohol tax is less.
Old 11 April 2008, 12:09 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

so its better to cook my own then
Old 11 April 2008, 12:44 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
They made a mistake and apologised for it then gave lots of stuff for free what more do you want might have been a **** up but at least they tried to make up for it.
With all due respect, they made SEVERAL mistakes, and the food served was very poor indeed, as was the service.

Admittedly after complaining (which is never a nice position to be in), we did receive a free meal of sorts, but it was hardly the evening we set out for, and the person who's birthday it was ended up leaving the restaurant p1ssed off, hungry and stressed

I realize how hard the catering industry is, having worked in it myself for over 5 years, but this experience just highlighted the way some establishments fail to meet the most basic of accomplishments i.e. serving a decent plate of fish and chips at top wack, which after all isn't the most complicated of dishes to master.

Im simply blowing of steam here, so please dont feel the need to stick up for the catering industry as a whole, as there are many places taht exceed expectations, this however not being one of them

Still, i would feel better still if i had pinched that dam soap
Old 11 April 2008, 12:49 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

In my honest opinion if you eat in any long chain place you kind of deserve what you get.
Old 11 April 2008, 12:50 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Err, it's Harry Ramsdens. What did you expect?
Old 11 April 2008, 12:55 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

In my honest opinion if you eat in any long chain place you kind of deserve what you get.

What a great attitude that is, would you apply that same logic to any large company then
Old 11 April 2008, 12:58 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many outlets do they have now? I used to go to the original one in Guiseley and the food was fantastic. We used to slum it though and buy from the takeaway - keepin it real
Old 11 April 2008, 01:04 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Err, it's Harry Ramsdens. What did you expect?
Well maybe starters first, then the mains that would of been a good start

Dont get me wrong, i wasnt expecting 5 star quality FFS, but like i said it was my mums birthday, and thats what she wanted to go, so thats where we went. I remember it being great years ago, but it wasn't like that tonight at all, crap all round
Old 11 April 2008, 01:06 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
How many outlets do they have now? I used to go to the original one in Guiseley and the food was fantastic. We used to slum it though and buy from the takeaway - keepin it real
Keepin it real

I hope you threw your vinegary papers in the bin
Altho i believe seagulls go crackers for chippy paper
Old 11 April 2008, 01:12 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

DYK -

We all have our opinions, and yours isn't far off the mark in my experience.

Luan Pra bang supports terrorism, therefore your views carry a bit more weight.

Last edited by Odds on; 11 April 2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11 April 2008, 07:08 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

so you didnt get 'employee of the month' then
Old 11 April 2008, 07:26 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

That's great.... but how about not 'cocking it all up' to start with?
Old 11 April 2008, 07:28 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

You could call Gordon Ramsey's a 'long chain'...
Old 11 April 2008, 07:53 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best fish & chips I've had in a long time.............Trenchers in Whitby, seriously good
Old 11 April 2008, 08:48 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
The best fish & chips I've had in a long time.............Trenchers in Whitby, seriously good
Nah, The Magpie in Whitby (eat-in though)
Old 11 April 2008, 08:53 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

should have pulled rank and took her to Nando's instead

hmmmmmmm garlic nandos sauce, peri peri chips, hot chicken
Old 11 April 2008, 09:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im pretty sure,as with 'free rang' chucks,that there is some cashing in goin on here - who the hell knows if there really IS less fish in the sea ...!

Paid £5.20 medium cod n chips home town outside Brighton last nght and 2.50 for slightly smaller in Brighton 2 weeks ago.
Old 11 April 2008, 06:55 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedymonkey

What a great attitude that is, would you apply that same logic to any large company then
where possible yes. I support smaller business's as they value each customer more and given the current climate all we will have left is repetative large chains that sell the same crap all over the country. When every single high street turns into a version of Milton Keynes Shopping centre then more people will agree with me.

Quick Reply: Harry Ramsdens, dont bother!