Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a Magnet kitchen?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2008, 05:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had a Magnet kitchen?

Just asking as I'm helping the Mother in Law and she is due a quote on Weds. Showroom was very impressive, but prices quite steep in the brochure.

They have a 'half price offer om Granite worktops at the mo - its DOWN to £300 a metre Corian is £600 a metre

What's the best way to deal with them on price - are they flexible on high margin stuff like this, or if you walk away do they just say 'goodbye'?

Anyone had a kitchen of them and how is it?

Cheers

D
Old 06 April 2008, 07:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If you do it online then you pay your money and bend over

if you do it instore, then there is some margin for movement, but dont expect a great deal.

Corian never was cheap, but it looks good

Mart
Old 06 April 2008, 11:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thx Mart! But, tell you what, ma made resin Corian SHOULD be half the price of granite to my logic!!! D
Old 07 April 2008, 12:04 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Hold off signing anything.

Magnet are notorious for high high high prices.

Mrs Jods and I are having a lot of work done on the house right now and one of the final jobs is to replace all the work surfaces in the kitchen with granite.

From memory we got a much cheaper quote for granite from John Lewis and we have found established fitters who were slightly cheaper.

I'll dig out the sq meterage and £ tomorrow night so you can compare.
Old 07 April 2008, 10:59 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

friend of mine got a kitchen from that blackburn bloke who is always on rogue traders---- right rough, but fit healthy hard man if that makes sense. in and out of prison for trading stadards issues.

the quality of the units was fantastic, likewise solid granite tops, appliances in etc.

well worth a go !!!!!

have put a few magnet kitchens in actually- pretty good quality I must admit.
Old 07 April 2008, 11:39 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
friend of mine got a kitchen from that blackburn bloke who is always on rogue traders---- right rough, but fit healthy hard man if that makes sense. in and out of prison for trading stadards issues.

the quality of the units was fantastic, likewise solid granite tops, appliances in etc.

well worth a go !!!!!

have put a few magnet kitchens in actually- pretty good quality I must admit.
I saw a doc on him - he was over in China giving them a hard time for dings in the granite. He then bought the quarry!!! What's his company called?

Thanks for the offer of a price for comparison Jods.

D
Old 07 April 2008, 12:08 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

my friend got all his granite tops from him for £500. and that was a very big "U" shaped kitchen.. solid black colour.

got a local stonecutter from yellow pages to trim to fit.

I'm sure all the units were solid wood too. I was F***ing surprised just how good it was.

dunno company- try trading standards !!!!!!!!
Old 07 April 2008, 12:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
dunno company- try trading standards !!!!!!!!
LOL! You in the business Austin? D
Old 07 April 2008, 01:08 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Diesel, I originally got a quote from Magnet and it was very very high for a high street shop. For about the same money I got a german kitchen of much much higher quality and more unique look.

My advice is

1) If you want to spend the sort of money Magnet quote, then you can get a much better kitchen for the same amount

2) If you want to spend less money, then you can get similar quality kitchens to Magnet for far less ie Ikea etc.
Old 07 April 2008, 01:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thx Deep. Any other suggestions other than Ikea? (You owe me a saving ion return for that phone extension remember )

Thx
Old 07 April 2008, 01:48 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know what Magnet are like but a word of advice, NEVER buy one from MFI.

Got mine put in 5 years ago at a cost of £3k and it's already dropping to bits..

You get what you pay for at the end of the day
Old 07 April 2008, 05:18 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Magnet are ok but not worth the prices you pay for them. My dad's had a kitchen company for 26 years and i now work/design for him. We sell German kitchens (Wellmann and Geba) and you really cant beat the quality ( without going fully bespoke of course ). There are many places that sell German kitchens at varying prices so have a good look around but make sure they are a rigid carcass and not flat pack!

Granite and Corian are a similar price depending on what you have. The reason Corian is slightly more expensive is due to the manufacturing of it but i personally think it's better than granite
Old 07 April 2008, 05:43 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gav - good advice. PM me if you would like to quote for the job (near Oxford) . Cheers

D
Old 07 April 2008, 05:47 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Thx Deep. Any other suggestions other than Ikea? (You owe me a saving ion return for that phone extension remember )

Thx

Why don't you get Scoobygav to send you some pics of the stuff he sells?

Thing is the only kind I looked into were modern/contempory ones, I presume your ma in law is after something more traditional?
Old 07 April 2008, 05:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
Magnet are ok but not worth the prices you pay for them. My dad's had a kitchen company for 26 years and i now work/design for him. We sell German kitchens (Wellmann and Geba) and you really cant beat the quality ( without going fully bespoke of course ). There are many places that sell German kitchens at varying prices so have a good look around but make sure they are a rigid carcass and not flat pack!

Granite and Corian are a similar price depending on what you have. The reason Corian is slightly more expensive is due to the manufacturing of it but i personally think it's better than granite

Mine is a Hacker/Systemat one with Corian tops and Siemans appliances. We love it

Pics are just after fitting, looks better now with some colour splashed around
Old 07 April 2008, 06:53 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

That looks really nice - good contrast with the white and dark & like the way they build up around the fridge. She's a dab hand at Roti's too

D
Old 07 April 2008, 07:36 PM
HowardG
Scooby Regular

Magnet are poor quality and expensive for what it is. Try Crown Imperial from Kingswood/ Allied. Good and strong, with solid backs to the carcass. Flat pack is fine if the units are good.
Old 07 April 2008, 09:25 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

We got a Howdens kitchen and bought Neff appliances and granite work tops from the local granite company. My brother in law is a joiner and uses Howdens unit's as they are good quality for the money.
Old 07 April 2008, 11:03 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
We got a Howdens kitchen and bought Neff appliances and granite work tops from the local granite company. My brother in law is a joiner and uses Howdens unit's as they are good quality for the money.
Thx Jer - I have their catalogue after a visit on the weekend D
Old 07 April 2008, 11:33 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

We've been looking at kitchens recently and the best deal woth best quality was Ikea by far. Also Wickes were looking good but they don't have same good quality as the Ikea units.
Old 08 April 2008, 08:36 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I've seen Howden kitchens fitted and if done by a good joiner with attention paid to detail look good and seem solid.
Old 08 April 2008, 08:48 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack thread a little- but im also in stages now of pricing a kitchen up for fitting in next few months etc-anyone recommend a good fitter in the staffs area?
Old 08 April 2008, 09:34 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Just to re-iterate much of what has already been said:
Don't touch Magnet. They are over-priced even when they have their half price "sales".
Best quality at a budget price is Ikea by a mile but dealing with them is painful. Their cabinets are excellent but the doors let them down a bit. I'd only use their plain (non-wood) doors and dress them up with some quality handles.
Liecht are good but prices silly, there are other German makers offering 90% of the quality at much lower prices and they usually have some interesting units/extras to tart up the kitchen that are not available from the likes of Wickes and B&Q.
Old 08 April 2008, 10:31 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Simon are you sayinmg AVOID solid wood Ikea doors? Was hoping to gert solid wood tbh as the plastic film cant then come off? Thanks for your advice though. D
Old 08 April 2008, 03:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Symphony Group - Experts in Fitted Kitchen Bedroom and Bathroom furniture.
Old 08 April 2008, 03:42 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

My brother is a manager for Wickes. He was saying that all kitchen sales are down across the board. Dont be afraid to ask for discounts and/or play companies off against each other. you may save a fortune.
Old 09 April 2008, 08:36 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Very nice Deep Singh

The two tone colours are really in right now. We do a dark oak door very similar in colour to your's and with a lighter door to contrast it looks great

Heres a couple of our designs we've done ( and sold ) for past customers. All our designing is done on Planit Live and you can make it look like a picture!

Old 09 April 2008, 10:03 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Looks very nice indeed. The two tone really does work. Feel free to PM me!

D
Old 11 April 2008, 04:34 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with the Ikea doors other than cosmetics. They are a bit thin and lightweight so if you are trying to make your kitchen look like a more expensive one the wood doors are less successful at carrying this off.
Old 19 April 2008, 12:12 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well I just bought the kitchen It is remarkable value, style and detail compared to all the rogues out there!

You download a design programme from IKEA, curse it for 4 hours, plan the kitchen, go back for their advice, repeat twice and blag their 21% off offer for tomorrow (only). You save £800 and get a full kitchen for just over £3k with solid oak stuff and very expensive oven, hob and microwave! Magnet must be crying into their chipboard carcasses!!!! Ikea's terrible value fitting joke was a dissapointement though - £3k ish with NO materials needed; clowns

Still, all's well that ends welll, and £5k of the budget in the bank

Thanks to all for their help. Now what motorbike shall I have with the change

D

Quick Reply: Anyone had a Magnet kitchen?