any legal bods about? where would I stand

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2008, 12:07 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any legal bods about? where would I stand

Will try to make this brief

In January 2007 we moved house, at the old house we used british gas for electricity and for gas and also had a maintainence contract with them.
We let BG know we were moving house. We got final bills and made payments over the phone to clear up the account. (we have a phone bill and bank statements to confirm this along wth the bill)

At our new house we use a diffeent supplier. A few months back in feb of this year, I got a letter from Wescott saying we owed BG £27.60. I rang to enquire about this as we had fully paid up. They said it was for a gas bill in April 2007. I told them that we have left the property on the 25th of January, so they asked for supporting docs for this which I faxed through to them (I sent 6 or 7 proofs in total, including solicitors letter and contract etc) I confirmed that they had received the fax and they said yes it was being dealt with. I also asked for the complaints procedure as Wescotts attitude was very bad (first person hung up on me after giving me a bit of cr@p).

I never did receive the written procedure for complaint and never heard anything else from them until friday (2 months since last corresponance)

This time it was a red final demand letter with them threatening to take us to court. My wife who is about 7 months pregnant with our first is out of her mind with worry even though we have supporting evidence to say we have paid and we are up to date. I is also causing rows between us.

I rang wescott again to find out what was going on. They said it was due to a payment for april 2007. I then told them to check their notes and that I had sent documentation through to them showing I wasnt there. They then checked and confirmed that they had the info (I had already confrimed when they were originally sent)
They then proceeded to tell me that they didnt know what the money was owed for!!!! and that they would have to contct BG.

I again asked for them to send me their written complaints procedure and I told them to get BG to let me know exactly what the payment is for. They said they would do this. (Although I am not holding my breath)

Funny thing is, we have heard nothing else re the electricity, and also the service contract was cancelled as well.

I want them to take it to court and I am quite prepared to give a defence, as I have all documents proving it was paid etc (including final bill),

If it goes to court, can I actually claim damages from wescott/BG for the inconvienience, for the stress its causing both my and more importantly my pregnant wife at this time or would it have to be done seperately? and do you think I would win?

cheers
Old 06 April 2008, 12:27 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

weres ps lewis when ya need him lol
Old 06 April 2008, 12:33 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

yet more British Gas appalling customer service and systems. I'm amazed they have any customers left.

TBH I'd ignore them - it's indisputable so it would be kind of funny if they did take you to court. Wescot are a pure debt collection agency - i.e. they're not interested in being nice and are all about collecting debt as cheaply as possible. They won't bother taking to court for that amount but will likely pass it back to BG.

i.e. be amused by them rather than be stressed by them - enjoy the fact that every time they do anything it costs them more

Gordo
Old 06 April 2008, 12:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Have you looked at the bill closely? Check what it is actually for as it could be a final account based on actual meter readings well before the date of the actual bill. Did you tell them officially that you were moving?

Now we all know that pregnant women get all stupid but for her to be "sick with worry" is, with the best will in the world, ridiculous. It's just a £30 bill FFS which you probably don't owe anyway. If it's that big a deal why not just pay it and tell her what she wants to hear dl
Old 06 April 2008, 01:39 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Have you looked at the bill closely? Check what it is actually for as it could be a final account based on actual meter readings well before the date of the actual bill. Did you tell them officially that you were moving?
we had 2 bills that month, the normal bill and the final bill. Same as with the electricity which was also with BG. We did actually tell them we were moving hence the £4 I spent on a copy bill from bt which highlights the call a few days before (over a 40 min call)

Originally Posted by David Lock
Now we all know that pregnant women get all stupid but for her to be "sick with worry" is, with the best will in the world, ridiculous. It's just a £30 bill FFS which you probably don't owe anyway. If it's that big a deal why not just pay it and tell her what she wants to hear dl
why would that be ridiculous the fact is she is being physically sick.

If we owe the money then I will gladly pay it, however the fact we have the final bill for said amount, and also a bank statement that shows that same amount on a payment for BG do you not think it strange?
Old 06 April 2008, 01:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Probably not what you want to hear, but I switched to npower back in September and I've received a letter, 6 months later, addressed to "The Occupier" from a collection agency stating that BG are owed £16, even though I paid the £16 diectly to BG.
Old 06 April 2008, 02:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003

why would that be ridiculous the fact is she is being physically sick.

If we owe the money then I will gladly pay it, however the fact we have the final bill for said amount, and also a bank statement that shows that same amount on a payment for BG do you not think it strange?
Look - I've no desire to upset you or your good lady but it is ridiculous/silly/ott for her to have got into that stressful state over a bloody £30 bill. It's just not logical but that's pregnancy for you I guess.

If it makes her feel better then just pay up - even if they are in the wrong - and argue about it later when the twins are born Good luck with that btw.

d
Old 06 April 2008, 02:34 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I can see Davids point and it would be worth investigating if thy can blackmark your current house or even your name, if not them fight it all the way let them take you too court and make them feel silly.
Old 06 April 2008, 03:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think this is very poor administration by BG. You have proof that you paid your final bills and they are just compounding the problem with their incompetence.

I would be tempted tp address a personal letter to the managing direct of BG enclosing a photocopy of your accounts to show you have paid and ask him what they mean by it all!

Les
Old 06 April 2008, 04:11 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

BG take the ****

For years every now and then we recieve a bill off them for a few hundred quid. Me dad will ring them and they just say throw them away and take no notice.

Last month we recieved a rather nasty letter from them saying we had so many days too pay outstanding money owed too them or our supply would be cut off and the Bailiffs would be on their way around.

For some reason they cant understand we use a pre pay gas metre, The only gas used in the house is on the 4 gas hobs on the cooker which use less than £20 worth of gas a year.

Our central heating comes from a coal fire, the house has always had a coal fire since it was built and we have been the only occupiers of it since then.
Old 06 April 2008, 08:02 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My thread is sadly similar... paid August 2007, just received a "bill with threats" for £303 !
It has taken five months chasing accounts management (Tracey Blaine) who are useless.... collections, who are quite useless.... and again back to collections for another go... I finally got to speak to a manager on Saturday after staying cool but generally insulting !
The guy says he'll sort it, but so many times someone has said that I just laughed.
Asked for something in writing to say I won't be dis-connected for their incompetance, and charged £361 for re-connection ! !

How do you lose £606.26 ? ? ?

No LOL

Duncan
Old 06 April 2008, 08:12 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i think to be honest with big companys is to make them listen if i ws in above situation banging head against wall and getting no were id see a solicitor and start the ball rolling, atleast then you can claim for them wasting your time or try to lol