Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Continuing Saga of my Parents Road....

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2008, 11:09 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuing Saga of my Parents Road....

Over a few months I've made a couple of threads regarding the condition of the road my parents live on, mainly due to large amounts of traffic heading to the local industrial estate. It is a typical rural residential road off the A1075 (Which would be a B road anywhere except Norfolk ), about 250 metres of 30mph limit before hitting the national speed limit. There is no pavement on either side of the road.

As I've said before the road is pitifully inadequate for the amount of HGV's, LGV's and other commercial traffic that uses it; speeding is rife, as many non-residential drivers appear to be under the impression that the road is national speed limit as soon as they turn off the main road; I have lost count how many times I have slowed indicating right to pull into my parents drive, only to have some utter retard in a white van overtake me.

The police have been approached on numerous occasions and have been requested to place speed traps on the road; however they claim that there is nowhere for them to position themselves safely to do it - even though residents have offered the use of their drives.

Yesterday the inevitable happened - a 14/15yo kid on their bike was taken out by a van that was on the wrong side of the road, carried him about 25 foot, and still managed to wipe out the 30mph sign. Pretty obvious then that the ****er wasn't doing 30mph. The kid is currently in Addenbrookes hospital after fitting in the Ambulance on the way to the Norfolk & Norwich.

Maybe the fact that a kid is now presumably suffering from a serious head injury and god knows what else something will now be done.

Last edited by Prasius; 06 April 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06 April 2008, 11:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no issues with the Police in general, but I can honestly say I have never seen a speed trap (one where the copper holds the gun) in a place that could reduce accidents.

The only places I've seen them in my local area are on long straight roads with no house or kids for miles.

There are about 20 places I would suggest putting them, I.e outside some of the schools, shopping centers or even busy main roads !

It is all about making a profit no question about it mate.

Hope the kid is ok !
Old 06 April 2008, 06:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

This is what I posted last time (30/12/07).

"Don't you recall seeing that small child cycling along who nearly got creamed by an HGV as she veered into the road to avoid a pothole? I thought you had written to the local paper about it?"

Real shame it had to happen but it's not too late to involve the local paper. dl
Old 06 April 2008, 11:54 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

They don't do ****. We have a driveway that slopes down and joins onto the public path, which is also sloped meeting the road.

It was created this way to cater for my sister who suffered from MS (passed away 5 years ago) and also for my neighbour who is an elderly woman.

Thanks to a hgv parking it's rear wheel on the path, there is a great big pot hole there, getting bigger by the day, obstructing my driveway and also making it difficult for my neighbour to be wheeled in and out from her house when she has to get into a taxi (she travels a lot).

I contacted my local council and got the run around, one department to the next for a whole year so thought **** it and filled up the hole after advising the council that someone may end up sueing them as a result of being injured by the pot hole (took photo's etc, no response).

It's been like this for over 2 years now, at one point I filled the hole up and lo and behold, had some **** from the council come round asking me to remove the gravel/sand etc I had used to fill up the hole. After arguing for ages I complied and had to dig up the pot hole again.

Trying to reverse out or drive in is a chore as I have to avoid he huge pot hole (that has taken out my front bumper once already) and then do a marathon parking dance to get my car into position.

Countless people have complained about hgv's and vans speeding down our road, which is in a built up area and not designed for such vehicles but the council doesn't seem to give a ****. We have had speed bumps put in but I can see a day where someone's kid (or my own god forbid) will either get hurt by the huge pot hole or a hgv/lorry passing through that shouldn't be there.
Old 07 April 2008, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have a road at the back of our house which is only about 2 feet wider than the average car. The delivery vans pull off the main road onto it an go past my house at anything up to 50! There is a hidden junction just past my house too. Trouble is-no one will take any notice when it is mentioned!

Les
Old 08 April 2008, 08:11 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, have you yourself contacted your local council, councillor, police, even the owners of the industrial estate?