Blair urges suspension of reason

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2008, 10:35 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blair urges suspension of reason

BBC NEWS | Politics | Blair urges bigger role for faith

The time is right for this man to f**k off to a quiet part of the country and live out his days in obscurity.
Old 04 April 2008, 10:44 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FFS different faiths are causing some of the worlds problems what a pretentious ****.
Old 04 April 2008, 10:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana

The time is right for this man to f**k off to a quiet part of the country and live out his days in obscurity.
agreed, i seem to remember him saying that God will judge him and his decisions - it is such an easy get out and used by many religious fanatics as an excuse for all sorts.

In fairness he wakes up each day next to Cherie which is punishment enough, must save her a fortune in horror masks come Halloween time.
Old 04 April 2008, 10:50 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
FFS different faiths are causing some of the worlds problems what a pretentious ****.
I think your comment utterly misses the point.

If extremist elements are 'causing some of the world problems' (which they undeniably are), then it's ONLY the mainstream moderates that have a chance of turning this situation around.

I don't think that these comments can be seen a 'pretentious' given that they are largely statements of fact and common sense.
Old 04 April 2008, 10:57 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
FFS different faiths are causing MOST of the worlds problems what a pretentious ****.
Edited for accuracy.

More wars are caused by Faith/Religion than anything else. It's like handbags at dawn.

My gods better than your god.
No he isn't
Yes he is.

Lets have a war to decide

You've just got to look at Northern Ireland with the Catholics and Protestants to see what faith does to bring fellow Brothers and sisters together.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:46 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I've tried to write my opinion 3 times and deleted it 3 times. It always comes back to the same view - Bliars a cvnt.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:52 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by stilover
Edited for accuracy.

More wars are caused by Faith/Religion than anything else. It's like handbags at dawn.

No he isn't
Yes he is.

You've just got to look at Northern Ireland with the Catholics and Protestants to see what faith does to bring fellow Brothers and sisters together.
To be fair, if there wasn't religion, men would fight over something else. The human race just isn't in a position to not slaughter each other yet. Hopefully, one day, it will be, but I doubt removing religion will not be a terribly important part of the equation.

Geezer
Old 04 April 2008, 11:58 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Edited for accuracy.

More wars are caused in the name of Faith/Religion than anything else. It's like handbags at dawn.

No he isn't
Yes he is.

Edit for accuracy

The lust for power is always the root cause of war, religion is just a convenient hook to hang that lust on
Old 04 April 2008, 11:59 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
To be fair, if there wasn't religion, men would fight over something else. The human race just isn't in a position to not slaughter each other yet. Hopefully, one day, it will be, but I doubt removing religion will not be a terribly important part of the equation.

Geezer
99.9999% of wars are because of the following
Religion
Land
Jealousy

can be just one or a combination of 'em.

religion often gives those who seek to do harm and terrible things something to hide behind or claim it is in the name of their god. More often that not they are nutters who would do this because they enjoy it.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:07 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

George W Bush says he speaks to God every day, millions of people voted for him as president.

If George W Bush said he spoke to God every day through a hairdryer he would be locked up in a secure, padded cell.

Is there any difference?
Old 04 April 2008, 12:08 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

It worries me that it's ok for people in power to peddle the twaddle that is religion. But I guess it's no different to having 'faith' that Labia will ever deliver on any of the promises they make.

G
Old 04 April 2008, 12:12 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
99.9999% of wars are because of the following
Religion
Land
Jealousy

can be just one or a combination of 'em.

religion often gives those who seek to do harm and terrible things something to hide behind or claim it is in the name of their god. More often that not they are nutters who would do this because they enjoy it.
Wars are typilcally about resource (Empire building etc) and religion is the tool used to persuade people to war.

Howvere, it is fact that much of the technology and culture present in Europe was brought there by Muslims.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Howvere, it is fact that much of the technology and culture present in Europe was brought there by Muslims.
What?

Explain.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:20 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

What?

Explain.
It's true, do some reasearch on the subject. While English Kings were living in, what were effectively wooden buildings, Muslim Kings were living in massive stone pallaces lined with white African marble.

Poetry.

Their "progress" was halted in Spain, "thanks" to a new "faith" called Christenden.
Old 04 April 2008, 12:57 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

by even acknowledging Blair a person suspends reason. Which I am doing by writing this -

and now its back.
Old 04 April 2008, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The words that he used are actually perfectly reasonable, but with what we saw of him for ten years or so belies the fact that he might really believe them but rather that it was said for effect.

Saying that religion is the cause of wars it not fair or even true, that would not be advocated as a good thing by most religions, those who actually start the wars where religion appears to play a part are extremists and are doing it for their own selfish reasons because they are in a position to influence young people into a fervour where they will carry out their wishes. Its just too easy to blame the wars on the religions, especially if you are looking for an excuse to denounce them.

In general, wars are started by politicians or those in power for their own requirements rather than the people!

Les
Old 04 April 2008, 03:32 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TopBanana

That rite (right) is yours too. I think he's got as much right (rite) to say what he feels as the next man
Old 04 April 2008, 04:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Klaatu
It's true, do some reasearch on the subject. While English Kings were living in, what were effectively wooden buildings, Muslim Kings were living in massive stone pallaces lined with white African marble.

Poetry.

Their "progress" was halted in Spain, "thanks" to a new "faith" called Christenden.
It's a bit unfair to single out the English monarchy though Klaatu, they were after all ony acting under the guidance of the Holy Roman Emperor of the time

Although admittedly they didn't take much persuading to get out there and grab some new lands from the barbarians, all in the name of Christianity obviously
Old 04 April 2008, 04:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
That rite (right) is yours too. I think he's got as much right (rite) to say what he feels as the next man
Negative rating?????

what a strange place this is
Old 04 April 2008, 04:42 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I've tried to write my opinion 3 times and deleted it 3 times. It always comes back to the same view - Bliars a cvnt.
Perhaps one of the other three attempts would have contained more substance than a cheap shot. Perhaps we'll never know.
Old 04 April 2008, 04:43 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Negative rating?????

what a strange place this is
Yes, I agree. ???
Old 04 April 2008, 05:14 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

I don't know what he is drinking but I'll have some of it. Religion has no place in politics in fact it has no place anywhere apart from the bin. Tony mustn’t have read that vile book called the bible or maybe he has and he is doing what most religious people do and cherry pick out the nice bits (no many) of the bible or perhaps he just hasn’t read it at all. Yes we'll leave out the rape, burnt offerings, ethnic cleansing, slavery etc etc out of it because that’s not very nice. I wonder if Tony believes that the world is flat and is held up by pillars. Why not that’s what it says in his sacred holy book!! Ah but wait that would be complete madness to believe such a thing, but we'll sweep that under the carpet and nobody will notice. Tony obviously has no problem backing a very sinister regime like the catholic church that condemns millions of Africans to death every year through the denial of contraception, hording of great wealth, harbouring **** war criminals and perverts. What a guy!!!*

Unfortunately religion is at the very heart of world politics, look at America, you have no chance of being elected unless you are a bible basher. Just look at Bush a Christian fundamentalist if there ever was one.

When are people going to wake up and smell the coffee? Read the bible back to front and if you can honestly say that’s not man made I suggest you get yourself checked in to the nearest mental ward.

Rant over!!
Old 04 April 2008, 05:21 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markGT
I don't know what he is drinking but I'll have some of it. Religion has no place in politics in fact it has no place anywhere apart from the bin. Tony mustn’t have read that vile book called the bible or maybe he has and he is doing what most religious people do and cherry pick out the nice bits (no many) of the bible or perhaps he just hasn’t read it at all. Yes we'll leave out the rape, burnt offerings, ethnic cleansing, slavery etc etc out of it because that’s not very nice. I wonder if Tony believes that the world is flat and is held up by pillars. Why not that’s what it says in his sacred holy book!! Ah but wait that would be complete madness to believe such a thing, but we'll sweep that under the carpet and nobody will notice. Tony obviously has no problem backing a very sinister regime like the catholic church that condemns millions of Africans to death every year through the denial of contraception, hording of great wealth, harbouring **** war criminals and perverts. What a guy!!!*

Unfortunately religion is at the very heart of world politics, look at America, you have no chance of being elected unless you are a bible basher. Just look at Bush a Christian fundamentalist if there ever was one.

When are people going to wake up and smell the coffee? Read the bible back to front and if you can honestly say that’s not man made I suggest you get yourself checked in to the nearest mental ward.

Rant over!!
There is a new a type of descrimination and intollerance taking root in this country, and your post is a very good example of it.
Old 04 April 2008, 05:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is a new a type of descrimination and intollerance taking root in this country, and your post is a very good example of it.
Very true.

Les
Old 04 April 2008, 05:51 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

So I have to listen to a corrupt war mongering politician spouting crap and say nothing!!! Where was Tony's piety when he condemned tens of thousands of Iraq people to their deaths based on a lie and we are supposed to listen to this man spouting religious bile?

Maybe I'm sick of people keep telling me to believe in fairytales. Maybe I'm sick of religious nutcases telling me I have no morals because I don’t believe in fairy tales. I've never committed a crime in my life, I work hard, I treat people like I would like to be treat, My wife and I sponsor children in Africa, China and Pakistan. I try and help people that have no chance in life, but I obviously have no morals!!!!
Old 04 April 2008, 07:14 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone who encourages that creationism is to be taught in schools is a fecktard in my book...........
Old 04 April 2008, 07:32 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Leslie
Very true.

Les
Old 04 April 2008, 07:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by _RIP_
are you trolling Les, starting to look that way.

If you find some of his posts so irritating as it seems - Brown drugs thread outburst for instance then perhaps the 'ignore' button is the way to go
Old 04 April 2008, 07:41 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Hey, if you find someone an ****, fine turn the other cheek. Perhaps you should stop ranting about lewis paul?

Oh and I think you mean stalking
Old 04 April 2008, 07:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Hey, if you find someone an ****, fine turn the other cheek. Perhaps you should stop ranting about lewis paul?

stalking/trolling - fine line really

Pete and i get on just fine thanks, strange you should bring that up as we have had more than our fair share of laughs with and at each other.

It was just some well meaning advice really, no need to get upperty or defensive which is how you appear imho. Your rantings on that thread and the subsiquent follow ups to other posts of Les's - i thought the advice might be justified.

Next time i will not bother, absolutely no skin off of mine

Have a good 'un

Quick Reply: Blair urges suspension of reason