Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sales Job that pay 30k +

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2008, 02:24 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales Job that pay 30k +

I m currently a sales rep selling into garden centres and earn about 34k a year including commision. I am looking for a different field to move into and was just wondering what fields pay quite well.

I see yellow pages pay 34k basic plus comission.

any advice would be good

thanks
Old 03 April 2008, 02:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Car sales man.
Estate Agents.
Old 03 April 2008, 02:26 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up

agreed
Old 03 April 2008, 02:29 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know much about car sales jobs? I wouldn't mind a change. Do you need to have experience? What is the money like?

(Hope this isn't hijacking the thread by the way, just curious).
Old 03 April 2008, 02:43 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I thought car sales men were having a very hard time these days? The brother-in-law of a bloke I work with is a car salesman and he's always going on about how awful the job is, how little money they make, the pressure they're under, the long hours, etc, etc. He's changed jobs several times, but admittedly hasn't sold for any of the 'prestige' brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc).

It always seems like a hard way to earn a living to me, plus everyone will hate you!
Old 03 April 2008, 02:51 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
I thought car sales men were having a very hard time these days? The brother-in-law of a bloke I work with is a car salesman and he's always going on about how awful the job is, how little money they make, the pressure they're under, the long hours, etc, etc. He's changed jobs several times, but admittedly hasn't sold for any of the 'prestige' brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc).

It always seems like a hard way to earn a living to me, plus everyone will hate you!
Is this him?

Old 03 April 2008, 02:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

One of my clients is an American software firm. Their sales guys earn between £60k and £200k. It's not rocket science - some of them used to sell cars (and it shows).
Old 03 April 2008, 03:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

I did cars for 6 months about 12 years ago....at the time it seemed most where getting 20-30 and the good ones 30-40, but it was commission only with NO support.....and i was rubbish!

I looked at selling IT/software or financial and took the first job i was offered...which happened to financial sales (made over 100k in the second year and just kept getting better)

Neither field is as easy to get into now as the mid 90's but worth exploring....for a good salesman £100k is fairly straightforward in either. (i would imagine software is a bit more high 5's and target meetings if thats your thing)
Old 03 April 2008, 03:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Thats why this planet is so ****ed up. The people that sell the item earn more than the people that actually produce it.
Old 03 April 2008, 03:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
I m currently a sales rep selling into garden centres and earn about 34k a year including commision. I am looking for a different field to move into and was just wondering what fields pay quite well.

any advice would be good

thanks
Yellow Pages used to require a couple of years of advertising sales experience.
Old 03 April 2008, 04:03 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I have a mate in IT software sales. Does a bit of travelling, quite a few meetings demo ing the products etc, he earned just over 100k last year. Part of that was a large bonus though (approx 30k's worth)

Thing is, I wouldnt buy anything from him
Old 03 April 2008, 05:15 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

any advice would be good

thanks
My Mate has worked for yellow pages for a good few years and he's on 24k basic - cold calling. I guess the guys in the field get a bit more.

Another mate sells for Saab.. he seems to work all hours and comes out with about 25k equivalent.
Old 03 April 2008, 05:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Thats why this planet is so ****ed up. The people that sell the item earn more than the people that actually produce it.
because selling it is the hardest part.
Old 03 April 2008, 05:31 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Depends on your location too. You wouldnt get a sales job in Cornwall for £100k i know, lol.

I did car sales for about 8 years. Bloody hard work! Worked every weekend (saturday AND sunday) for 3 years! One day off during the week and every bank holiday. Wouldnt do that again.

Field sales would be where i would recommend, mon-fri, no weekends or bank hols, decent salary with commission, car allowance, etc.

Anywhere north of exeter should fetch an easy £30k. Sales jobs down here in Cornwall are between £17-£23k and house prices to almost match london!
Old 03 April 2008, 11:18 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Software sales sounds good but would they hire someone with very little software experience.

Does any one some good agencys i can contact

thanks
Old 03 April 2008, 11:22 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll need some Banking experience first, but this type of thing is still apparently quite lucrative -

Fixed Income Institutional Sales Job, London UK
Old 04 April 2008, 02:31 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
because selling it is the hardest part.
Usually, if a "sale" is "hard" then typically the "product" is "crap".
Old 04 April 2008, 09:13 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
What nonsense - have you ever worked in sales?

Sales is more than ripping someone off with crap - I watch a footballer and part of me thinks their all a bunch of tools but I realise you dont get paid that for being a tool......you think people pay me £200k just because its the only way to shift a rubbish product?

Flogging a £5k motor on a forecourt may be simple enough but if your getting a client to invest millions or having a company fork out a small fortune on new software then theres a bit more to it than having a fast mouth and flash tie.
Old 04 April 2008, 09:15 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Or it's a very competitive sector... or your prospect is too stressed and snowed under to look at 'another bloody product'...

Products don't just sell themselves in the real world, unless it's commodity stuff like dishwashers and to some extent, cars.
Old 04 April 2008, 09:19 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Software sales sounds good but would they hire someone with very little software experience.

You might be better off contacting software companies direct. Shows a bit of initiative, and they like that!
Old 04 April 2008, 09:20 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

thanks
My experience at the time was that with either financial or software you could talk yourself into the bottom fairly easily - the only issue was that the bottom was pretty low compared to where you wanted to be.....however, it wasnt THAT low (i started on a £17k base and a car having just come from selling cars making £400 a month and a free saxo! - at the time i thought i was Bill Gates!) You then have to work hard and make money quick - and if you dont your out anyway so it's not like you'd be plodding along on £20k pa for years.

Bottom line - you can teach someone about software or money but you cant teach communication skills (well you can but if you're over 20 then you have already built up your foundation of skills in that area and its hard to add to crap......a poor communicator at 20 wont ever be a good salesman)

My interviews for software & financial sales didnt mention knowledge once - which was handy because i didnt have a clue.

so, as above, call direct - show you can communicate for what you want on your own (which is what they will hire you to do!)
Old 04 April 2008, 09:26 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Quite simply - To be a salesman, you have to have gift of the gab, to be an Engineer or Designer, you need to have intelligence

It's the way of the world, Agents, Estate Agents, salesmen all earn commision for selling product, and often get bonuses.

Engineers and designers, and the people that actually come up with the product, design it, test it, refine it, produce it, don''t see any of that commision, nor do they typically get bonuses.

I don't begrudge salesmen their salaries and bonuses, but it would be nice to have some parity.

Put it this way, if salesmen all died in a plague tomorrow, you would still be able to produce new and exciting product, and you would be able to sell it, albeit with less skill and panache.

If all the Engineers died tomorrow, you would get **** all.
Old 04 April 2008, 09:27 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The car dealership next door goes through salesman like sweets. Theres a new one in there every few months. Its a Skoda dealership.

I work in an IFA practice which is traditionally very sales orientated. We actually tend to avoid taking on IFAs who are the "salesman" type. The industry is so regulated and mistakes are punished mercilessly so we tend to opt for technical savy advisers rather than fast talking salesmen.

I'm not great at selling and prefer being behind the scenes. I put it together and get someone else to do the talking

Probably make less money but don't have to worry about what they are up to.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:02 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Quite simply - To be a salesman, you have to have gift of the gab, to be an Engineer or Designer, you need to have intelligence
A commonly held misconception. Rubbish, in fact.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:21 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Misconception my ****.

You don't get university graduates going on to be salesmen, it's the career path of the kids that get **** all exam results at school.

Old 04 April 2008, 11:33 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

I take it you're in sales then?
Old 04 April 2008, 11:35 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Misconception my ****.

You don't get university graduates going on to be salesmen, it's the career path of the kids that get **** all exam results at school.

What about this misconception ? I have an BA Hons & i sold cars for while.

Exam results were good not brilliant but still a few credit passes & had the option of doing at least four highers but i chose the working route & i am a qualified HGV mechanic.

I dont sell cars now though Its only something i wanted to try when i was on a career break.

Ps the BA Hons stands me in good stead now
Old 04 April 2008, 12:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Misconception my ****.

Rubbish Pete. Making an 'all salesmen are gobsh*tes' type of remark shows that you are ignorant. If you really think that people mithering you on the telephone and knocking your door about windows really sum up professional sales people, then that reflects very very poorly on you.

Are you another pslewis pseudonym? The reason that I ask is that you share a number of character traits, principally: confusing your own ill-informed opinion with fact .
Old 04 April 2008, 12:20 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
. If you really think that people mithering you on the telephone and knocking your door about windows really sum up professional sales people, then that reflects very very poorly on you.
Course I don't. I'm being facetious - hence the winks.

I know plenty of salesmen that do a great job and work very hard. My own Father was a sales director for a big company.

I do think, however, that the balance needs to be restored between Engineering and selling in terms of reward and respect.

Neither can exist without the other.

As it stands, the salesman get all the reward, and the Engineer does poorly in relative terms, despite being euqlly as vital, if not more so, in the chain.

Quick Reply: Sales Job that pay 30k +