Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Chernobyl

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 11:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chernobyl

Funny how Chernobyl seems forgotten these days even though its still pretty much as radioactive as it was in 1986, my kids were playing Call of Duty 4 and and certain scenes around a derelict swimming pool reminded me of this website I had visited a few years back as I am sure many will have also done, well worth a visit again if you have and definitely if you have not.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl%2Drevisited/

It reminded me as the Swimming pool in the game is the same one, the kids didnt have a clue about Chernobyl so I told them a bit about it, its kind of remembered that it was a Nuclear power plant that went bang but the more you read, the more terrifying it is to think what it must have been like.

YouTube - Call of Duty 4 Chernobyl Swimming Pool (Mp_Bloc)
Old 02 April 2008, 12:45 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird as I was only thinking of this site the other day and Chernobyl
Old 02 April 2008, 01:11 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Yes, many young people just do not know any real modern day issues. Strikes in the 70's, no power, no nurses, no waste disposal, petrol crisis. And then Chernobyl in the 80's. One of my mates was in the Navy on a sea nearby, RO1, was on the set when the reactor exploded.

Bad design and human error caused that explosion.
Old 02 April 2008, 07:23 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

as i was only 2 when this disaster took place, has anyone any links to documentaries/programs about this. downloads/videos etc.
Old 02 April 2008, 07:23 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I watched a programme on Discovery (or similar) only a couple months ago, about the wildlife and nature in Chernobyl.

Was really quite interesting and amazing knowing all those animals, plants, tree's and even humans are still there and getting along with hardly any "problems" at all.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:18 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ive read and watched loads of documentarys on Chernobyl, would be a place I wouldnt mind visiting one day. It does suprise me how many people have never heard of the place when I bring it up although those that do know about it I wouldnt say have forgot about it.

I actually remember covering this at school in about 1995.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:25 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Off topic, but linked via Nuclear fission, I am in Japan working at the moment and on Sunday i visited the A-bomb memorial park and museum in Hiroshima.

VERY, VERY emotional. Quite upsetting, and some pretty awful artefacts and pictures in the museum.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:26 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

As long as the people who can remember Chernobyl ,do remember Chernobyl it will never be forgotten.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:28 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I can remember it happening - And the reports showing rescue teams landing by heleicopter and then having 90 seconds before they had to get back in the chopper and getting the **** out of dodge, to avoid a lethal dose of radiation, and the chopper taking off if that 90 seconds came and went, regardless of who made it back.

It was a disaster of enourmous proportions and I don;t think we will ever know the full extent of the damage.

At least it disproved the china syndrome theory
Old 02 April 2008, 09:34 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Interestingly enough, one of the workers who had to go underneath the reactor to check for damage still lives today.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:53 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Interestingly enough, one of the workers who had to go underneath the reactor to check for damage still lives today.
Well , yeah , but he was a special case - and he was never the same again.

Old 02 April 2008, 09:54 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Didnt that have to do with the water he was drenched in whilst underneath the reactor though? Think it was that was saved him IIRC.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:31 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Absolutely fascinating.

I can remember not being allowed out to play in some puddles in the week that it happened.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:36 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO

snip
Do you play computer games?

If so, I would advise you get STALKER. Its very emersive. It starts off quite hard but stick with it and its the most rewarding game I personally have ever played.

The Pipyrat scenes are amazing.

Real NPP

STALKER NPP

Last edited by EddScott; 02 April 2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:39 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
as i was only 2 when this disaster took place, has anyone any links to documentaries/programs about this. downloads/videos etc.
Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02 April 2008, 10:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As Pete says, it was a very big disaster and had far reaching effects. The results may be yet to be fully realised.

Some of the workers who went inside the reactor and the building were extremely brave as were the military who were employed to remove very highly radio active articles from the roof and the surrounding area.

A dreadful error both in design and the way it was operated.

Les
Old 02 April 2008, 10:49 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Some of the workers who went inside the reactor and the building were extremely brave as were the military who were employed to remove very highly radio active articles from the roof and the surrounding area.
Bio-robots
Old 02 April 2008, 11:25 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Didnt that have to do with the water he was drenched in whilst underneath the reactor though? Think it was that was saved him IIRC.
Not sure about that, but scary all the same.
Old 02 April 2008, 11:27 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
As long as the people who can remember Chernobyl ,do remember Chernobyl it will never be forgotten.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious!
Old 02 April 2008, 11:30 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Thanks for pointing out the obvious!
Old 02 April 2008, 12:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone remeber the old joke that went round ?

"Why must you never wear Russian underpants"

"Cos, Chernobyl fallout"

Edd, yes I do though not very often and not very well !

Might get a copy of Stalker.

I find the whole thing fascinating (and obviously very girm), I suspect the Chernobyl disaster played a big part in the fall of the Soviet Union, I work for a company involved in the Nuclear industry and am an advocate of nuclear power, it is quite scary to think about but then so is having no power when the oil,gas and coal runs out, the government has made a big statement about its commitment to a new nuclear programme, my company is looking to recruit a lot of qualified staff, basically the guys that did the last lot have all retired now so if you are stuck for a career move may I recommend a Physics degree as if you go the nuclear way you wont be short of a job.

The can be operated safely, current technology and procedures are a million miles away from Cold War Era soviet stuff.
Old 02 April 2008, 12:45 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

We have groups of kids from Chernobyl come to our fire station here in Perth every year. We have a party for them, a bbq and each person on station puts money in to get them some nice sports gear or the likes.
The effects are still being felt by the kids of today and the month or so they spend in the fresh air of Scotland adds years on to their life expetancy apparently. Meeting these people will make sure I never forget the disaster and as long as the kids keep coming I will do my best to make their memories of their visit some of the happiest in their rather difficult lives.

Paul.
Old 02 April 2008, 12:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive just tried to look at Chernobyl on FalshEarth and no one apart from Google has any decent satellite images of the town and Google only shows the Western outskirts...

clicky
Old 02 April 2008, 01:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
We have groups of kids from Chernobyl come to our fire station here in Perth every year. We have a party for them, a bbq and each person on station puts money in to get them some nice sports gear or the likes.
The effects are still being felt by the kids of today and the month or so they spend in the fresh air of Scotland adds years on to their life expetancy apparently. Meeting these people will make sure I never forget the disaster and as long as the kids keep coming I will do my best to make their memories of their visit some of the happiest in their rather difficult lives.

Paul.
You all deserve full congratulations for doing that. Must mean a great deal to those children.

Les
Old 02 April 2008, 01:43 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Funny how Chernobyl seems forgotten these days even though its still pretty much as radioactive as it was in 1986, my kids were playing Call of Duty 4 and and certain scenes around a derelict swimming pool reminded me of this website I had visited a few years back as I am sure many will have also done, well worth a visit again if you have and definitely if you have not.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl%2Drevisited/

It reminded me as the Swimming pool in the game is the same one, the kids didnt have a clue about Chernobyl so I told them a bit about it, its kind of remembered that it was a Nuclear power plant that went bang but the more you read, the more terrifying it is to think what it must have been like.

YouTube - Call of Duty 4 Chernobyl Swimming Pool (Mp_Bloc)

agreed, i thought the same when i played the same level, in the game, the swimming pool part is never used really, and i did wonder if it was made that way to kind of say "its still radioactive as ****, keep out"
Old 02 April 2008, 02:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Might get a copy of Stalker.
I can't recommend it enough. Its a little rough around the edges as it was supposed to be near enough completely free roaming and has hints that its was supposed to be an MMO but they cut huge chunks out to get it to production.

It does however give you the very best feeling of being there without actually going there.

It really is a must if you like PC games and you find the Chernobyl incident interesting.

YouTube - S.T.A.L.K.E.R Trailer 25

STALKER: Clear Sky is due August too

Also - there is an excellent article in National Geographic April 2006 called "The long shadow of Chernobyl"

Last edited by EddScott; 02 April 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02 April 2008, 02:20 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Is it actually referenced as being the same place in the game or have they just ripped it off?

5t.
Old 02 April 2008, 03:27 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Another vote for the game STALKER, its absolutely brilliant, very atmospheric. Yes, it is set round Chernobyl and Pripyat, they havent done a rip off. The areas have been mapped very accurately.
Old 02 April 2008, 03:27 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

[

Real NPP

I think your standing too close to the reactor, your glowing!

No sorry its the colour of your jumper

Quick Reply: Chernobyl