Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

One for the Scoobynet cycle experts....

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 11:25 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One for the Scoobynet cycle experts....

Just bought a bike for commuting and I'm after some recomendations on lights (front and rear)
I've been looking on the net and there's things like Dinotte that seem good but pretty pricey.
I'm after something with a decent beam without a battery pack for the front and I've read the SMART 1/2 WATT 3 LED is good for the rear

Thanks!
Old 02 April 2008, 08:07 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I asked a few days ago: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...le-lights.html

I think I'll be going with the recommendation - although I have seen them for £46
Old 02 April 2008, 08:09 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look on Wiggle or chainReaction m8, lights are generally going on sale this time of year so there should be some bargains about.

Don't forget it's still strictly illegal to have a flashing rear LED light with having a static one on as well.

Make sure the batteries are either NiMh or Litium ion, as the cheaper ones that use NiCd suffer from memory effect and generally get shorter lifespan after a full charge as they get older
Old 02 April 2008, 08:26 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

For the front the common question to ask is : do you need it to see or to be seen.
To actually see the road, ie riding totally unlit, dark rural roads, then you are, IMHO, looking at spendign maybe £100 or so.
I have a Light & Motion Solo Logic MV which uses a halogen lamp, variable 3/6/9 watts I think, at highest setting I get 2hrs runtime and it is just bright enough for a fast commute with some unlit roads. This does hav a battery pack and bright, lights with no battery are fairly limited but I know of the Dinotte and Hope lights (the Hope has a very small pack, fitted beneath the stem on which the light is mounted).
For the rear I'd get 2 or 3 lights, 1 on steady maybe 1 or 2 on flashing and means you always have 1 on even if 1 gives up the ghost unseen to you.