Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job decision - What would you do

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2008, 04:34 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Job decision - What would you do

Right, basically I am on redunancy notice where I work. This though isnt until the end of the year. I work in contract logisitcs and unfortunately the customer site where I work is closing down.

I have the opportunity to move internally to a different site, and that will offer more money, and is closer to home. Its a winner I hear you shout!

The problem is, I used to work there and I dont like it. The people are fine, and I met my wife there but there is just something about the site that I dont like. Also the contract there is up for renewal in Oct 2009 so I could possibly be in a similar position although I would get more redundancy as it would be an extra year worked (assuming no other suitable roles emerge)

To add extra to it, my wife is pregnant with our first child and is due in June, so she wont be getting full pay until she returns back to work at a later date.

My heart says I should go for this job (it is basically a promotion) due to the fact my wife is pregnant and it will help us out with living etc, however I feel that if I go for it, I wont apply myself fully and that could then reflect in the quality of my work and put me in bad stead if the contract isnt renewed and I need alternative employment.

Also, too add to that, I have a great relationship with my boss and I like to think he has got to his position today because of the input I have given on various things, the company have tendered for a few other contracts and we are in the last 2 at an advanced stage. These new possible contracts are going to be based around the same kind of area (localish) and I have been told that if our company is successful, then my boss will run one of them and I can go and be the number 2 again, bide my time get more experience etc and then when he retires its all mine!!!

Do I hold out in the hope that these new contracts come up or do I go for the one where I dont like the place?

If I get redundancy then it is just over 6k that I will get, so not a great deal. I have mortgage insurance, but as it is joint I think we would still have to pay a portion. I think I would struggle to get a job as well paid as what I have (for what I do). I was thinking take redunancy (assuming nothing suitable emerged) and use the money to learn a trade or something like tiling/plumbing etc (just to get some kind of certification)

Any advice / opinions?

Cheers
Old 31 March 2008, 06:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are older and wiser now than last time, you have had a gap, it may have changed, it may not but its worth giving a try. Changing trades just before the birth of a baby would be stressful, if its crap, start looking again.

6k will last minutes these days, on day to day stuff, never mind re-training.

With this downturn and less credit about, there will be less people borrowing against their houses to get extensions and improvements, less buy to let speculation and just plain less building work, not saying its going to crash but if you remember how things were at the end of the eighties where tradesmen were struggling to find work you will realise it goes in cycles, we have had the boom of cheap credit and people having loads of equity in their houses so now its time for a bit of a slow down, I dont think now is the time to retrain as a Plumber or similar.
Old 31 March 2008, 08:49 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

One in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Apparently
Old 31 March 2008, 08:56 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Take the job with your existing employer...

You have to support a family etc etc

So what if you don't get challenged in this other role, it's a job and you need to pay the bills, see it out till 2009 or whenever, then reconsider your options then....

That's my thoughts

Good luck whatever you do
Old 31 March 2008, 09:33 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

go with the move to the place you dont like. As said before you've a family and you can still work while you look for another job.
Old 31 March 2008, 09:39 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Have to agree,the present climate and the upcoming responsibilities would tell me to take the job.

Yes you may have to 'suck it and see' for 12-18 months but if that's what it takes then hayho.

You never know what might happen in the future.
Old 31 March 2008, 10:05 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

what do you do third party logistics? are you an implant?