Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dublin questions........

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 02:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dublin questions........

1) Passport has run out for UK citizen. Can they go to Dublin using say, photo driving licence, as ID?

2) Anyone recommend a reasonable priced hotel or similar in Dublin to use as an initial meeting point and then weekend stay. This would be for 10 young ladies on a Birthday trip next month.

3) Suggestions for places to visit in day time and clubs/bars at night please.

4) Airline to use from SE?

5) A N Other tips......... Thanks, dl
Old 23 March 2008, 03:17 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

I visit Ireland frequently, UK photo ID is no problem, GF did this for 1 year as her Irish passport had expired The airline website will explain the requirements.

Try skyscanner.net for the best deals. Recently, I flew on business with Aer Lingus T1 Heathrow for £50 incl. taxes, Stansted is best from South East, but you have to fly RottonAir.

Best to meet up on O'Connell Street in the centre of town near the new pointy-thingy (can't miss it), this is only a stones throw from Temple Bar where everyone gathers, as for hotels I stay at the Gresham, it's central, but far from a budget choice.

Get the bus from the airport, 9 Euro on-way I think, taxi's are 50 Euro and you'll find the traffic the worst in Europe.

Nik
Old 23 March 2008, 03:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nik - that's a great start
Old 23 March 2008, 03:36 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

Driving license in fine for Ireland. I fly Air Lingus from Heathrow whenever I go. Definately get the bus into town not a taxi, no benefit and massive price difference.

Temple Bar is the place to be; famous place is The Oliver St John Gogarty Short Breaks, B&B, Hostel, Self Catering Accommodation, Irish Pub and Restaurant, Gogartys, Temple Bar Dublin Ireland is a good fun bar and central location point.

This hotel is very good,

Grand Canal Hotel Dublin, Dublin Hotel, Ballsbridge Hotels, Dublin Ballsbridge Hotel, Hotel Dublin 4, RDS Hotel, Dublin RDS hotel, the point hotel Dublin, lansdowne road hotel, hotel Georgian Dublin

its in the business district about 10 mins by cab from temple bar but as its in business district weekends are always cheap. Its all very modern and has a nice bar/restauran on site. I always stay here for rugby weekends. Try expedia for good deals.

Guinness museum is a must, even if just for views from the bar at the top.

chop
Old 23 March 2008, 03:37 PM
Scooby Regular

FWIW last time I went I payed 235 for flights from Heathrow and the hotel for 2 nights, this was at peak time on a rugby weekend though, all through expedia.

chop
Old 23 March 2008, 06:14 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Oi tank you sar
Old 23 March 2008, 06:38 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I went to Dublin for my stag do with 7 other lads. We just wanted a good time and none of us are ever out for trouble. The attitude of the locals over there towards us was shocking, three times over two nights we were told to 'F*** Off' just because we were English. One bunch even started a song which went 'Kill all the f'ing English b*******' after hearing us speak in one of the pubs. They did not want any English people there and were very intimidating, even the local Polish people tried causing trouble! I will NEVER go back there and would advise you to look for an alternative venue to send 10 girls!

Sorry, but I thought you should know what I encountered
Old 23 March 2008, 07:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmm.........

Well that comment surprises me but I appreciate getting another view as it were.

I have never been so am in the dark about attitudes. What have we ever done to the Irish

dl
Old 23 March 2008, 07:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Oi tank you sar

As regards the bad attitude of the Irish I can honestly say that comment has shocked me.

I was last there when england played ireland at croke park, which was possibly a problem weekend regarding the history of croke park.

We were a little nervous as the political tensions were thought to cause trouble, in the entire weekend we saw no trouble and were made to feel nothing but welcome. The Irish drank and joked with us and in the ground even appauled our nation anthem without a single boo in the air. A truly remarkable experience.

Croke park is in quite a rough area of Dublin and the Irish even walked us home as it was dark and they were worried for our safety!

What I would say David is the Irish in Dublin hate stag weekends and large groups of lads. They are determined not to become a typical stag weekend location. ie, eastern europe/blackpool/newquay. They are positively unfriendly to obvious stag do's or big groups of blokes.

I imagine they would be far more friendly towards girls but even so if it is a hen night i would advise against devil outfits and tin cans stuck to the hen

I love the place and cant wait to be back there next year for the rugby.

hths

chop
Old 23 March 2008, 07:31 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

It surprised me too! Mine was the worst stag do i've been on! It wasn't exactly cheap either!

Anyway, it might be different for girls. If they do go then I hope they have a good one and get back safely.
Old 23 March 2008, 08:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK guys - thanks. It's my daughter's idea for her pals to get together for her 22nd Birthday so a bit of club fun and a few bars rather than an out and out binge-and-chuck-up session (says naive dad!).

I don't think the British have done themselves any favours with their lads stag dos in foreigh climes.

But Barcelona has now moved into the frame as a destination so heaven knows where they will end up
Old 23 March 2008, 10:56 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.

As regards the bad attitude of the Irish I can honestly say that comment has shocked me.

I was last there when england played ireland at croke park, which was possibly a problem weekend regarding the history of croke park.

We were a little nervous as the political tensions were thought to cause trouble, in the entire weekend we saw no trouble and were made to feel nothing but welcome. The Irish drank and joked with us and in the ground even appauled our nation anthem without a single boo in the air. A truly remarkable experience.

Croke park is in quite a rough area of Dublin and the Irish even walked us home as it was dark and they were worried for our safety!

What I would say David is the Irish in Dublin hate stag weekends and large groups of lads. They are determined not to become a typical stag weekend location. ie, eastern europe/blackpool/newquay. They are positively unfriendly to obvious stag do's or big groups of blokes.

I imagine they would be far more friendly towards girls but even so if it is a hen night i would advise against devil outfits and tin cans stuck to the hen

I love the place and cant wait to be back there next year for the rugby.

hths

chop
Bang on, I was also at Croke for that incredible occasion, the hospitality in Dublin is legendary and is entirely justified, it's a great city. We stay at the Harcourt Hotel, bit pricey, but has a stonking club underneath it, it's in the right area, DO NOT book anywhere north of the river.

D