Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has the car market gone to absolute sh*t???

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 01:18 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has the car market gone to absolute sh*t???

Lads . .

. . I've been trying to sell my Scoob for a while . .It's been rolling on the market for a fair while since January . .Been on Pistonheads, Gumtree, Autotrader and Craigslist . . .At first I put the lack of interest to the high price, so kept reducing it and reducing it . . .But rather frustratingly, no real interest except from the one or two canvassers . . .Is it just me, but I'm starting to think that this is now a truly buyers market for the following reasons . . . .

1) We are in a / heading for a recession

2) That time of the year

3) Performance/4 wheel drive vehicles to have the f%ck taxed out of them

4) High petrol prices set to rise further

5) Congestion charge set to screw the Subaru driver . . .

. . . . Doom and gloom forecast . . .

. . . . . . . .Opinions please . .
Old 23 March 2008, 01:21 AM
darranc
Scooby Newbie

been trying to sell my MR2 Turbo for yonks .. nothing happening at all
Old 23 March 2008, 01:24 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

For the last couple of years there's always been IRO 1000 Scoobs for sale on PH. At the mo' it's nearer 1400, and for all the reasons you list above this situation will continue to get worse. I sold mine 18 months ago for a good price and now run a frugal diesel, which appears to have been a very wise move Oil is forecast to rise from the current $101/barrel to $132 within 12 months, and petrol prices will rise to match it, so expect to be paying £1.40/l in '09
Old 23 March 2008, 01:29 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

had much the same problem when selling my last scoob,took months plus auto trader done pretty well out of the sale ....one thing don't keep droping the price,thats what i did.at one point i thought if i was giving it away i still could'nt drum up any interest in it.i thought it would attract interest but really all you need is one serious buyer to get the sale,its the car i think that seals the deal not the price.....hope i explained that right
Old 23 March 2008, 01:38 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bpm1588
had much the same problem when selling my last scoob,took months plus auto trader done pretty well out of the sale ....one thing don't keep droping the price,thats what i did.at one point i thought if i was giving it away i still could'nt drum up any interest in it.i thought it would attract interest but really all you need is one serious buyer to get the sale,its the car i think that seals the deal not the price.....hope i explained that right
I think that's very well put . . .The Scoob is very easy to sell as long as you get someone to sit in it/drive it . . . .But what is even more startling is that I am getting f*ck all interest inspite of putting a reasonably big advert in Autotrader for a week . . I really was expecting at least one enthusiast to show up . . . .Oh crap . . . .
Old 23 March 2008, 01:43 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

well my mate is gonna get one when he returns from afganistan. u got the ad to your car?
Old 23 March 2008, 01:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
u got the ad to your car?
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...d-edition.html
Old 23 March 2008, 01:47 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
I think that's very well put . . .The Scoob is very easy to sell as long as you get someone to sit in it/drive it . . . .But what is even more startling is that I am getting f*ck all interest inspite of putting a reasonably big advert in Autotrader for a week . . I really was expecting at least one enthusiast to show up . . . .Oh crap . . . .
you know the funny thing,i miss the car like mad! if i had to do it again i'd still have it.i might have cut all my running costs by half and still drive a fairly nice car but im fooking bored to death with it.....i ended up buying myself a 95 sti ra for a toy so im out the money plus the rest anyway running the two motors
Old 23 March 2008, 01:51 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Lads . .

. . .Basicall, I'm reallly keen to sell this car . . I've reduced the price . . There's a genuine reason for the sale, so if it does not go by wednesday, I'm taking it to the dealer . . .

. . . . .I sh*t you not . . The car needs to go . .
Old 23 March 2008, 02:09 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Well, I've been trying to sell my Supra for a while and can't seem to get anyone. Pistonheads advert is here: Toyota : TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 TWIN TURBO 6 SPEED MANUAL BLACK but it is also in Autotrader and was on Ebay.

Steve
Old 23 March 2008, 02:11 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Well, I've been trying to sell my Supra for a while and can't seem to get anyone. Pistonheads advert is here: Toyota : TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 TWIN TURBO 6 SPEED MANUAL BLACK but it is also in Autotrader and was on Ebay.

Steve
That is one funky car! I do like it!!
Old 23 March 2008, 02:12 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

if it does not go by wednesday, I'm taking it to the dealer . . .

. . . . .I sh*t you not . . The car needs to go . .
I await your rant on Wednesday evening about how they only offered you £9.5k cash buy, or £10.5k if you PX on a new Subaru.
The problem with this car is that it's still only a WRX, but with a few options added and unfortunately, they ain't worth Jack. With 05 STi's (both 2.0 and 2.5 variants) selling for the same money you ain't gonna shift it. 05 WRX's seem to be at around £10.5k with one UK300 at £11.5k. A mate of mine recently bought an 06 Hawkeye 2.5 STi PPP with just 6k on the clock for £16.5k from a main dealer. Sorry mate, but the truth hurts
Old 23 March 2008, 02:29 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Corradoboy seems to know everything

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I await your rant on Wednesday evening about how they only offered you £9.5k cash buy, or £10.5k if you PX on a new Subaru.
Thank you for the most valuable insight Corradoboy . . .But by Friday I'm leaving the country to more pleasant places . . . .I look forward , thereon, on hearing your rant about crap weather, crap roads, social dysfunction, high taxes, chavs vadalising your car/inner city violence, price of petrol going up, speed cameras and police acting like a bunch of tools . . . .But I'm sure, you of all will have the solution to everything (as you usually do). . .

Cheers!
Old 23 March 2008, 02:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Congratulations. Good luck in your move.

I expected you'd get all p!$$y when the realization that your car is probably worth £3-4k less than you'd wanted was stated. A quick look on AT sees the prices I quoted, and this is why there has been no interest in your car. I was in the same boat with my car advertised for almost a year until someone (ONE !) showed an appreciation of the condition and specification, but if that ONE person hadn't come along I'd have probably still had it advertised, or bitten the bullet and priced it amongst similar age/spec/condition cars. If you are leaving next Friday, then I expect whatever they offer you you will accept.

Last edited by corradoboy; 23 March 2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 23 March 2008, 02:40 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

This does raise the question, who is going to buy a WRX and have to fork out £450 a year in tax, when an STi is the same rate?

I think the post above is quite accurate. The new tax rules have really stuffed 2nd hand car prices, I may have considered this car a couple of years back, but the MY00 is staying with me for as long as possible now!

There is a risk of getting stuck with a high tax car that guzzles fuel and if petrol prices continue to go up, then the chance of shifting them goes down.
Old 23 March 2008, 05:10 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'll give you a fiver for it. Once you've added road tax, VAT, income tax, scoobynet tax, the air that I breathe tax etc etc, I dare say the £5 will jump to £89000,13,00,23.42.

Actually, I think I've changed my mind
Unless it's blue
Old 23 March 2008, 05:20 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Unfortunate as it seems, government legislation is gradually making owning/running a performance car a pastime of the wealthy only.
Old 23 March 2008, 06:41 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

got to agree with corrado boy tbh

just click the link

Motorpoint - Search Results
Old 23 March 2008, 08:15 AM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The problem with this car is that it's still only a WRX, but with a few options added and unfortunately, they ain't worth Jack. With 05 STi's (both 2.0 and 2.5 variants) selling for the same money you ain't gonna shift it. 05 WRX's seem to be at around £10.5k with one UK300 at £11.5k. A mate of mine recently bought an 06 Hawkeye 2.5 STi PPP with just 6k on the clock for £16.5k from a main dealer. Sorry mate, but the truth hurts

Well i think that is the most frank piece of advice i've heard in a while...
The truth does hurt tho..
Old 23 March 2008, 10:28 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

that motorpoint link is going to make your eyes water. Yes, its the new car that divides opinion, but it is new!

I too fear a cash purchase from a dealer will be <£10k. Try and get a price ASAP, and then change your ad to be a little over. Hopefully you will sell before you have to go to the dealer (don't tell him you are leaving the country!)
Old 23 March 2008, 11:10 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Lads . .

. . I've been trying to sell my Scoob for a while . .It's been rolling on the market for a fair while since January . .Been on Pistonheads, Gumtree, Autotrader and Craigslist . . .At first I put the lack of interest to the high price, so kept reducing it and reducing it . . .But rather frustratingly, no real interest except from the one or two canvassers . . .Is it just me, but I'm starting to think that this is now a truly buyers market for the following reasons . . . .

1) We are in a / heading for a recession

2) That time of the year

3) Performance/4 wheel drive vehicles to have the f%ck taxed out of them

4) High petrol prices set to rise further

5) Congestion charge set to screw the Subaru driver . . .

. . . . Doom and gloom forecast . . .

. . . . . . . .Opinions please . .
sorry its not really any of the above, cars will ALWAYS sell at the right price. I hate to put you down but your car is a 3year old WRX with some factory mods. Most people on here know mods are worth next to nothing when you sell, so you are probably looking at 10k
I recently purchased a brand new hawkeye WRX for a shade over 15k there is no way you can sell a 3yr old blobeye for the same money!
Old 23 March 2008, 11:49 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Credit crunch is bound to hit the used car market - people less able to borrow money - less people thinking about changing car due to impending recession, and those that are changing are probably going for cheap to run stuff. BBC were reporting used values sliding fast, and I expect falls will get stepper still.

So no surprise that the Scoob isn't selling really, being very expensive to run.

I sold a 2.0 petrol 2002 Audi A4 in Feb this year, and that was much harder to shift than I expected - tried taking to a few garages and they either offered lower than trade price, or basically said they didn't want it as there's no demand for petrol cars! Got over 1k less than expected!
Old 23 March 2008, 11:54 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

its the price brackets, cars over a few grand these days are just a nightmare to sell.

ive had my bm up for sale @ £4200 ovno for a week now and only one call, i admit its only advertised on ebay but even still, a e46 coupe with all extras for that money is madness, yes its mileagy but even still !

might just be me but i see it as soooo much car for the money
Old 23 March 2008, 11:57 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Am I naive in thinking that although the bottom is falling out of the second hand car market, Impreza's will level out at some point then begin to hold and increase in value.

I only say this because such motors will become fewer. I think this may be all the pertinent in light of Subaru's latest Impreza which i think leaves a heck of a lot to be desired.

I appreciate that the same may be said about Evos Skylines etc but surely there will be a big enough fan base to keep the marque alive.
Old 23 March 2008, 12:00 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

sorry but scoobs have always badly depreciated, just one of those things you have to expect when owning one.
Old 23 March 2008, 12:08 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

With a big sigh, I agree. Just hope that if i keep mine long enough I'll get something decent for it.
Old 23 March 2008, 12:09 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Mind you, a friend of mine bought a brand new civic type R in october 2004 for 16,500.

It is now worth about 7K.

Last edited by Dan W; 23 March 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: wrong year
Old 23 March 2008, 12:12 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Potential buyer for you

http://images.art.com/images/-/Tom-S...C10102602.jpeg

TX.

Originally Posted by boxst

Steve
Old 23 March 2008, 12:12 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
Am I naive in thinking that although the bottom is falling out of the second hand car market, Impreza's will level out at some point then begin to hold and increase in value.

I only say this because such motors will become fewer. I think this may be all the pertinent in light of Subaru's latest Impreza which i think leaves a heck of a lot to be desired.

I appreciate that the same may be said about Evos Skylines etc but surely there will be a big enough fan base to keep the marque alive.
I think it depends on the model you happen to have. I'm hoping my silver MY99 UK Turbo with aircon is going to hold its value. Its low mileage so with luck it will sell on OK in years to come. The issue comes when you get some car mag coming along and making daft comments. Like EVO and the RB5, very little difference between that and my car (paint colour, and spot lights).
Old 23 March 2008, 12:15 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I was out last night with a car salesman (independant garage).
He says that they are selling more cars upto £2,500 and over £40k than ever.
Anything in between just aren't selling.

He seems to think more people have got £2k sitting around and those that buy £40k cars are quite well off and are getting credit quite easily.
Anything in between are people who need credit and are now struggling to get it.

This is just his experience (all 30 years of it).

It's only going to get much, much worse.

Quick Reply: Has the car market gone to absolute sh*t???