Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Calling all pro-painters (bodyshop people)

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2008, 03:07 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all pro-painters (bodyshop people)

Hi guys,

Need abit of advice on my job i have in front of me.
Im basically spray painting a piece of plastic for the car. Now im onto the primer stage (finished) and ive got various grits of wet and dry sandpaper anywhere from 1200 to 12000, fine to very fine (silk-like). The white primer so far is like glass so i thought id stop and ask a question as im not sure whether the paint will stick its that smooth i kid you not. I read somewhere it had to be as smooth as possible but im not entirely sure and cant see the paint adhering to it or am i just being stupid?.
Any advice on where to go from this stage on will be very helpful as i dont want to mess it up now after days and days of prep etc and i want it to look as showroom as poss..

Thankyou all kindly
Old 15 March 2008, 07:32 AM
the big yim
Scooby Regular

depending on the colour you are spraying(base coat) I would use 800 for dark colours or non metallic solid colours and 1200 for light or silver colours. I usually use a guide coat such as black aerosol to spray the panel before sanding so you know you have removed and pin holes, scratch marks etc.
And I always wet flat too, produces a nicer finish and creates less dust
Old 15 March 2008, 08:14 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

if its to smooth it might not stick, although the thinners in the paint will "melt" the primer a little to help it stick down

i will be honest, and admit that i don't really bother smoothing the undercoats much, i just prefer to get loads of top coat on and smooth that back before polishing with g3/g10/gold top glaze

i am in no way a "pro painter" but i have fully painted my scooby 3 times now

i think the best advice is just go with what you feel more comfortable with, paint usually self levels quite a bit anyway depending on the brand

i have just painted the bottom section of my sti6 rear spoiler yesterday and went like this

(it already came in grey primer)

scotchbrite grey primer down
panel wipe the spoiler down to clean
paint on (proper spraygun) 5/6 coats of subaru white including 2 "wet" coats at the end.

will buff it up within the next few days, but it came out well anyway, so needs minimal polishing.

everybody has different methods,