Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2008, 01:12 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will it stop?

"MPs call for rise in green taxes"

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | MPs call for rise in green taxes

Sick to the back teeth of the whole green thing now. Taxing us more will not save the planet for gods sake, it will fund more wars and other government **** ups!!!
Old 05 March 2008, 01:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taxing us to go green will not work anyway ....... not unless the tax is HUGE.

Most of us would keep driving earth destroying Imprezas even if the Road Tax was £2000 a year, petrol was £2:50 a litre and an Ungreen Tax slapped on the Insurance of 200%

So, to work, the Tax hike needs to be at such a level that it would be complete and utter Political Suicide for any party introducing it.
Old 05 March 2008, 01:21 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

The Earth has a "use by date", and no tax will stop that!
Old 05 March 2008, 01:23 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Goverment ministers - Living proof one can be truly brainless and earn plenty of money.
Old 05 March 2008, 05:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
Goverment ministers - Living proof one can be truly brainless and earn plenty of money.
Cool. Where do I sign up..?
Old 05 March 2008, 05:24 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Most of us would keep driving earth destroying Imprezas even if the Road Tax was £2000 a year, petrol was £2:50 a litre and an Ungreen Tax slapped on the Insurance of 200%
That will be next year then
Old 06 March 2008, 01:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan W
They will be a lot cleverer than you might think, and they know all the right methods; but not necessarily for the right reasons!

Les
Old 06 March 2008, 01:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Like the quote

"Carbon Dioxide emission have increased under labour"

Likes its directly their fault. Not a fan of any party but FFS what a useless thing to say.
Old 06 March 2008, 01:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

When will it stop?

When someone invents a way of turning the Sun down a bit.

We survive because of the Sun. We will die because of the Sun. It gets hotter, so do we. No Tax can stop that. The Government know this too, but hey, say it's the cars fault plenty of times and stupid people start believing it.

Edited to say:-
All the government wants is more money to pay for all the immigrants to have free houses/healthcare/education/benifits.
Old 06 March 2008, 02:07 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
When will it stop?

We survive because of the Sun. We will die because of the Sun. It gets hotter, so do we. No Tax can stop that. The Government know this too, but hey, say it's the cars fault plenty of times and stupid people start believing it.

All the government wants is more money to pay for all the immigrants to have free houses/healthcare/education/benifits.

As highlighted above in RED ... Apply this principle to ALL the mayhem existing in todays CRAZY World then I think some sense MAY avail ! ! !

If WE are to allow ourselves to be dictated by every media article that we read, see and hear then sorry But we deserve everything that comes our way.

Just my tuppence

No offence intended especially on the stupid people (as originally posted ...see quote)

Old 06 March 2008, 02:08 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I know when it will stop. When the acid rain from the 1980's kills us all. Thats when
Old 06 March 2008, 02:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I know when it will stop. When the acid rain from the 1980's kills us all. Thats when
I'm still waiting for the much advertised (at the time)`Ice Age` to re-appear.
Old 06 March 2008, 03:47 PM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

I'm still waiting for the much advertised (at the time)`Ice Age` to re-appear.
I think the 'ice-age' predictions were just a great sounding story propagated by the media of the time. There were never any studies published in the scientific literature that suggested there was going to be an imminent ice age.

Science-type stuff

Still, I bet if nu-labour had been in power at the time there would have been some sort of tax on opening your fridge door since you would be contributing to the 'global cooling'. Christ I hate this government.
Old 06 March 2008, 04:02 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

When will it stop?

If it's just the sun causing GW, then please someone explain to me why the surface temp of Venus is significantly higher than on Mercury
Old 06 March 2008, 04:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
If it's just the sun causing GW, then please someone explain to me why the surface temp of Venus is significantly higher than on Mercury
Magic !!!

Last edited by stilover; 06 March 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06 March 2008, 04:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The surface temperatures of the planets vary from more than 400 degrees on Mercury and Venus to below -200 degrees on the distant planets. The factors that determine the temperature are a complex balance between the amount of heat received and that lost.

The heat received by a planet varies with its distance from the Sun, for it is the Sun's radiation which is by far the greatest source of planetary warming.
There are additional sources of heat such as gravitational contraction which adds to the energy balance in Jupiter's atmosphere and also small contributions from radio-active decay. These effects are dwarfed, however, by the influx of energy from the Sun.
Old 06 March 2008, 04:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The surface temperatures of the planets vary from more than 400 degrees on Mercury and Venus to below -200 degrees on the distant planets. The factors that determine the temperature are a complex balance between the amount of heat received and that lost.

The heat received by a planet varies with its distance from the Sun, for it is the Sun's radiation which is by far the greatest source of planetary warming.
There are additional sources of heat such as gravitational contraction which adds to the energy balance in Jupiter's atmosphere and also small contributions from radio-active decay. These effects are dwarfed, however, by the influx of energy from the Sun.

The reason that Venus is hotter than mercury (despite being significantly further away) is that it has had a 'runaway greenhouse effect', it's atmosphere is over 90% co2.
Old 06 March 2008, 04:43 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The reason that Venus is hotter than mercury (despite being significantly further away) is that it has had a 'runaway greenhouse effect', it's atmosphere is over 90% co2.
And has cloud formations hundreds of miles thick. And has done for Billions of years. Heat has built-up in that time. We however have minimal cloud cover, and as we are closer to the Sun are exposed to temprature increases in the Sun itself.

The Sun has temprature fluxations, and is going through one at the moment (as said by scientists) therefore we get warmer/cooler as the Sun fluxuates.

In time though (Millions of years) nothing will survive on this Planet. As the Sun gets larger & hotter, the planets will become moulten rock.

Tax that Labour.
Old 07 March 2008, 09:33 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Originally Posted by Leslie
They will be a lot cleverer than you might think, and they know all the right methods; but not necessarily for the right reasons!

Les
good point
Old 07 March 2008, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why did you ask the question if you know the answer though?

Les
Old 07 March 2008, 02:44 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Why did you ask the question if you know the answer though?

Les
I wanted someone who says GW is purely down to the sun getting hotter to explain away this obvious counter arguement
Old 07 March 2008, 02:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I said you'd all get bored of it and now believe in the BS we are fed about Global Warming. I called this years ago when I was still a planner working for Government (albeit the local monkeys).
Old 07 March 2008, 04:36 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No doubt the government will have some way of disproving the Milankovitch cycles (orbital variation) as the cause of GW. If not, they might come up with a new tax for it.

The global warming/cooling cycles was proved decades ago by a Serbian astrophysicist called Mulatin Milankovitch.
Old 07 March 2008, 04:52 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I'll think you'll find that 'we' are further from the Sun than Venus ..... small but fairly important point!

Dave
Yes I do know that. Don't know why I typed that.

I think I must have meant we are close to the sun reletively speaking so are affected by the suns temprature fluxuations that say Saturn or Jupiter.

That's what I meant, just didn't type it.

Thanks for pointing that out to everyone though ........

B*stard
Old 08 March 2008, 12:06 AM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

it's simple. Politicans couldn't give a flying f**k about the planet - however if they want the vote of the tree hugging save the planet weirdo's - which they clearly do they will burden us with more taxes.

Great for them - win votes and fill the goverment coffers so they can subsidse the **** poorly loss making things like the NHS.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE !!!!!!!