Acceptable behavior at work

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2008, 10:44 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Acceptable behavior at work

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by ^Qwerty^; 03 March 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Thanks for the advice
Old 29 February 2008, 11:27 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be unhelpful but you sound like a nightmare employee to me - sounds like you're trying to hide behind the rules and look for an excuse to lash out/ cover your failings/insecurities. Focus on doing your job well and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 29 February 2008, 11:36 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Sorry to be unhelpful but you sound like a nightmare employee to me - sounds like you're trying to hide behind the rules and look for an excuse to lash out/ cover your failings/insecurities. Focus on doing your job well and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Fair comment that, and I have thought the same thing and questioned my own actions etc. which is not easy, but I still question why I've got to adhere to a set of defined policies, yet my own line mangement doesn't.
Old 29 February 2008, 11:39 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
what would you expect the outcome to be?
My fist, his face. Problem solved
Old 29 February 2008, 11:40 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

follow your companys procedures and make a complaint about your treatment at the hands of your manager, also point out the telephone conversation where a junior member of staff heard your manager swearing at you and talking in an unproffesional manner.

dont forget that once you make a formal complaint if it carries on you can leave citing constructive dismissal.

if all else fails have a look on Acas - Home

you dont work in the banking sector do you?

j
Old 29 February 2008, 11:51 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
follow your companys procedures and make a complaint about your treatment at the hands of your manager, also point out the telephone conversation where a junior member of staff heard your manager swearing at you and talking in an unproffesional manner.

dont forget that once you make a formal complaint if it carries on you can leave citing constructive dismissal.

if all else fails have a look on Acas - Home

you dont work in the banking sector do you?

j

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a read.

Last edited by ^Qwerty^; 03 March 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 29 February 2008, 11:58 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mate, they obviously pay a pretty dollar but for the last 6 years you have been under threat, this **** can't be good for your health.

one life.
Old 01 March 2008, 12:04 AM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Do a good job, Nothing to worry about unless you dont ?????????

They pay the dosh and when you get there well hey enjoy
Old 01 March 2008, 09:22 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't think anyone should have to be verbally abused at work. If it's banter between team members or even manager / subordinate, then that's fine, but when it comes down to swearing on a conference call and telling someone to "shut the f up" whilst others are hearing, it's getting a bit out of hand, IMO.

At one of the previous places I used to work I had a similar situation. I joined a team with 5-6 geeks (I'm a sysadmin) at a very successful company, and from the outset it felt like my team leader didn't like me. He would almost *never* give me any work to do, even though I asked him several times every week for something to do - I had to walk around to the other departments and ask them if they had any programming or just *anything* to keep me a bit busy (this was at a time when everyone else in the team were really busy!). Communication was a nightmare at this place also, and although higher up management realised that there were communication problems, I feel that little was done to help (not just me, the whole team could have done with better communication skills).

In the end I decided that as I had left banking to find something interesting to do, I couldn't be arsed to fart around at a company like this, so I handed in my resignation and I'm now working for a much better company (would you believe, it's actually possible to *talk* to people here! fancy that, eh!) in a more challenging role doing useful stuff!

If I was in your position and I could find a different job (i.e. if this particular company wasn't the only one around that would have needs for a person like yourself), I'd find a different job and not bother with a tribunal or a formal complaint. For me, in my situation, it would not be worth the hassle and wasted time - I'd try to look forward and not backwards, if that makes sense.

Having said that, everybody's situation is different, of course.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:50 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Just leave. Look for something else and be gone, solves all your problems in on easy move

You could try hanging them with their own rope but how long will that take and how much more pi$$ed off are you gonna be by the time its over and theres still the risk you wont win.

Dont be a victim, take control and do things your way.
Old 01 March 2008, 11:01 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

name and shame
Old 01 March 2008, 11:16 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TBH, i just see your situation as a big load of stress that you don't need. Making a complaint might have a positive result but ultimatly could mark your card. I would start looking around for another job.
A job is the bit that comes in between life, it's not the thing that rules it
Old 01 March 2008, 11:25 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Hve you had an informal chat with your boss? Informal in that it does not invlove others, just honest, open, face to face. Keep notes of course, but it might lead to an amicable resolution. Worth a try. Then if you have to go further, follow formal procedures with HR etc. Don't go over people's heads, at least not before trying the former and let your boss know what you're doing and why.

Secondly, be careful what you say about your boss/colleagues. It is your performance that appears to be in question and finger-pointing at others will do you no favours, plus it's (probably) irrelevant or at least secondary.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 01 March 2008, 11:26 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Been where you are and sounds like your being made a scape goat. Document everything and if it gets worse as long as you have followed your own procedures yourself and asked for help and can prove this, if this has not been forthcoming you are likely to win any industrial dispute should it go to court.

Doucmented proof is key.

Be careful though as if you take stuff from weork to use as evidence that in itself is a tricky situation as it could be seen as theft.

Have you raised this with your HR team and managers managers ? You may have little case for constructive dismissal if you don't and if you are treated badly as a result of raising this then again you win.

Sorry to hear this happening and no its not you being a nightmare form what I can see its the trap of being middle management.

I'm in the same boat as you but I tell my manage what I am doing and have a business planner for each month that he can review at any stage, as he gives me limited direction, no 121s and by annual review has not been completed in over a year despite asking and asking but he's not a bad guy just a bit crap at some things.

AllanB
Old 01 March 2008, 12:55 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone

Last edited by ^Qwerty^; 03 March 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01 March 2008, 02:51 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Get another job, lhand notice in, and on the last day phone the **** back with your "old" team on the line too and let the tw@t have it!, then offer him outside!

At least you will leave a legacy behind!
Old 01 March 2008, 07:35 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

I don't think you're in a strong position for a complaint over the reviews. You admit yourself that you haven't completed your own reviews 100%, have you had disciplinary action taken against you for this? I'm guessing your company have the policy in place as a best practice but as long as regular reviews are carried out they dont have to be on the month every month.

You say that you had 1 or 2 reviews in a 6 month period, in those were any concerns about your performance raised? If so then it follows that you would have a poor 6 month bonus review unless those concerns had been addressed.

Are your team performing and meeting the targets set by your manager? If not then you are probably best to just knuckle down and try and fix that and also look for another job

The situation with the conference call is a different issue, it was extremely unprofessional for your line manager to 'rip into you' in front of someone you manage. You could argue at a tribunal that this made your position as this persons manager very difficult, it could lose you the respect of your staff making your position as a line manager untenable. Whether this could be turned into a constructive dismissal claim is a question for a lawyer and you would also need to prove it was probable that the incident happened. Will your boss or your member of staff back you if it came to an external tribunal? If they still work there maybe not.......

Sorry to maybe be a bit negative towards the idea of you complaining but it sounds like the kind of company that may close ranks on you and I've had experience of similar grievances and it doesn't sound like there will be much to go on.

I'd make sure you don't post on this thread or use your username at work and certainly don't name the company as this could leave you liable to disciplinary action if they see it!
Old 01 March 2008, 07:52 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i left my last job after an incident were the manager decided to scream and swear at me infront of my staff and customers for something that didn't have anything to do with me i might add. I did not bother taking any sort of legal action for but when i handed in my notice 10 minutes after him doing this i was offered any job in the company, a months paid leave and a hefty pay raise. I personally feel that this was done out of fear of me taking them to the clearers rather than me being a valuable asset to the company

I am now 6 weeks into my new job and although i thought i made the wrong move when i first started my new career, I can safely say i am much happier even though i work longer hours and travel long distances because my new Area Manager is first class. A good boss makes a massive difference to your working life in my opinion

I went back into my old work place last week and felt very smug as the place looks like a ****hole now that i've left and i do not know how i stuck it for 4 years!!!
Old 01 March 2008, 08:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I took some **** off a guy at work, for weeks belittling me, telling me how useless I was, he said I was "Thick as F*ck" to his mate whilst on the phone, he spent a lot of time telling me how he could beat the crap out of me, I asked him a couple of times to desist I found it upsetting and he laughed it off, my next approach was to offer him out as per his rules, I offered the alternative of speaking to management as well to avoid any violence but I needed to get a response, I didnt know whether I could beat him in a one on one but I wasn't scared, pretty strong and fully committed to having a go.

I said that I would meet him in the car park and we could sort it out, the ****** started to cry, I felt a **** as I had hit a nerve and asked him why he was like he was, he said he didn't have a girlfriend, few mates, hand had a **** in years, lived with his parents, was massively in debt and hated his life.

So I said he needed to go and get counseling and that I would help as much as I could, he got some Prozac from the Doc and went to Amsterdam and had six pro's in a weekend, came back and was a different bloke !
Old 02 March 2008, 12:28 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Don't go down the liotigation route - why give yourself a whole lot of grief for something that may or may succeed but which will eat away at you.

Get your CV bang up to date and then take time to look for another job.
Old 02 March 2008, 12:39 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

This thread sums up the way the country's going.
Old 02 March 2008, 10:42 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, if you have bad management above you, it's going to be really tough.

Do you have a formal process for your 1 to 1's? i.e. do you have any sort of scoring against objectives? In the absence of your line manager doing this, why not rate yourself regularly and be honest about it. Concentrate on your own performance rather than focusing on their failings.

I'd also check your company policy, ours states that obscene language is a disciplinary issue. Swearing at one of your own staff members is ridiculous.

As an aside, think about how you would treat a member of your staff if they came and told you you're a bad manager. What would your reaction and subsequent approach be? Would it depend on how they approached you?
Old 02 March 2008, 02:43 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I took some **** off a guy at work, for weeks belittling me, telling me how useless I was, he said I was "Thick as F*ck" to his mate whilst on the phone, he spent a lot of time telling me how he could beat the crap out of me, I asked him a couple of times to desist I found it upsetting and he laughed it off, my next approach was to offer him out as per his rules, I offered the alternative of speaking to management as well to avoid any violence but I needed to get a response, I didnt know whether I could beat him in a one on one but I wasn't scared, pretty strong and fully committed to having a go.

I said that I would meet him in the car park and we could sort it out, the ****** started to cry, I felt a **** as I had hit a nerve and asked him why he was like he was, he said he didn't have a girlfriend, few mates, hand had a **** in years, lived with his parents, was massively in debt and hated his life.

So I said he needed to go and get counseling and that I would help as much as I could, he got some Prozac from the Doc and went to Amsterdam and had six pro's in a weekend, came back and was a different bloke !
Nearly a beer/monitor incident! It was obviously not pleasant at the time but the distillation of the story is... If you're stressed and being a ****, have a **** or 6 and you'll be right as rain!

J.
Old 03 March 2008, 02:28 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Was his name David Brent?