Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I am increasingly a middle lane hogger for H&S reasons!

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2008, 10:56 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am increasingly a middle lane hogger for H&S reasons!

Today, looking like I was going to be very early for a meeting, I decided to see if I could get 50 mpg out the car by joining lane 1 on the M5 and going at abouT 56 mph for the distance.

My God! It was a horrendously dangerous experience! Not only had I to concentrate even more on safety, I was repeatedly boxed in, cut up and tailgated by MASSIVE vehicles whilst locked off at 56mph (via Sat Nav) on cruise control the whole car was tugging and meandering due to the ruts in the road. Changing lane was a hairy tuggy experience as you stepped out the ruts!

Wide tyres probably dont help, but I cant believe the rutted state of Lane 1 now that 80 ton trucks have been permitted.

I'm not going again, sorry and will keep my speed up and my mpg to a MUCH LESSER 40!

d

Last edited by Diesel; 27 February 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: only one 'o' in too
Old 27 February 2008, 11:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel
a hairy tuggy experience
Whilst you are driving, no wonder you were wandering.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:02 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Yeh, these slow lane ruts have just started appearing after years of never having heard of them.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:04 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I decided to see if I could get 50 mpg out the car
and therin lies your first problem
Many parts of the M25 and M3 are now out of bounds to cars in the inside lane too because of the massive grooves in the tarmac caused by the lorries
Old 27 February 2008, 11:07 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Yeh, these slow lane ruts have just started appearing after years of never having heard of them.
Sorry have I posted on Scanianet by mistake? I'm a bit more 'right' lane normally!

D
Old 27 February 2008, 11:09 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
and therin lies your first problem
Many parts of the M25 and M3 are now out of bounds to cars in the inside lane too because of the massive grooves in the tarmac caused by the lorries
Thanks for the rolleyes but its news to me! Was there a Press release I missed orf something? Seriously.

D
Old 27 February 2008, 11:15 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

Rutted lanes is a strange phenomenon that in my experience only occurs in our country, it is caused by improperly constructed roads done on the cheap.

In germany there are many motorways that have not been repaired or replaced since they were put down in th 1940's.

In southern France and Spain they don't suffer this and they have much hotter weather and similar traffic to us.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:23 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Rutted lanes on m-ways in the UK have been a problem for decades, even with transport authorities claiming they test materials before deploying them.

Yes, eveything done on the cheap! I recall in 1995 the uk Govn't received 22bn pounds from road tax for private vehicles. That worked out to be just under the GDP figure for NZ at that time. 5bn was spent on roads that year.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:27 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Pmsl most trucks tend to be limited to 56mph strange they all should be doing it then really ... dont really understand why you`d want to travel that slow on the motorway if i were early i`d just pull up at a service station for a break or stop somewhere closer to my destination to kill the time.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:34 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukdave
Pmsl most trucks tend to be limited to 56mph strange they all should be doing it then really ... dont really understand why you`d want to travel that slow on the motorway if i were early i`d just pull up at a service station for a break or stop somewhere closer to my destination to kill the time.
Dave, inbetween awarding you this week's Scoobynet Environment award (aka 'nail it for a mid morning Big Mac' award ) I'm sure there isnt muich wrong in going at a max similar speed to what trucks are permitted (and counting the pennies as you do it)?

I did encounter the tailgaiting thing as some trucks can do 56.3mph (and dont they know it and nail it) but still, I'm talking about the road WW1 trenches here. This seems fine by you?

D
Old 28 February 2008, 12:11 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the rolleyes but its news to me! Was there a Press release I missed orf something? Seriously.
Wasn't having a go - gave the as if to say "poxy lorries" .

Having said that, i'm sure there was a press release somewhere.......
Old 28 February 2008, 07:24 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have tried this before and it is quote a scarey feeling siting in the inside lane stuck in said ruts..

years ago on the main from road from felixstowe (when it was a rollonrolloff ferry port) on the then named A45, the road was so heavily rutted from all the lorries, that if you stayed in the inside lane, you could quite happily take your hands off the steering wheel and just follow the ruts

only problem was you couldnt turn left or change lane so you ended up where the lorries went
Old 28 February 2008, 09:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissTony
only problem was you couldnt turn left or change lane so you ended up where the lorries went
LOL

At least you'd find some good transport cafs

Alcazar
Old 28 February 2008, 10:58 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
LOL

At least you'd find some good transport cafs

Alcazar
maybe, but I wanted to go to the Little Chef
Old 28 February 2008, 11:04 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Doesn't seem to bother traffic cops.
Old 28 February 2008, 11:07 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

if you mean the traffic wombles, then their nice soft suspension and lard *** seats soak up all the ruts. Though I am sure they may cone of the worst areas at the first opportunity
Old 28 February 2008, 11:12 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Doesn't seem to bother traffic cops.
Quite true! Had one following me today in the same kind of car as me too - both of us stuck in the ruts till I turned off.

Only got 40 mpg today - much safer

D
Old 28 February 2008, 11:30 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

if you mean the traffic wombles, then their nice soft suspension and lard *** seats soak up all the ruts. Though I am sure they may cone of the worst areas at the first opportunity
By traffic wombles do you mean the over enthusiastic cop wannabees who close a whole motorway for a car broke down on the hard shoulder?

If so, I was referring to the other wombles, though the argument still stands
Old 28 February 2008, 11:30 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

I used to drive a motorhome towing a box trailer when we were kart racing, mainly in the slow lane.

You certainly see driving from a different perspective there, but I gained a new respect for truck drivers who showed unexpected courtesy to us. Which is more than can be said for some crazy car drivers. But getting stuck in a rut sharpens your concentration no end!

Richard.
Old 28 February 2008, 11:42 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
By traffic wombles do you mean the over enthusiastic cop wannabees who close a whole motorway for a car broke down on the hard shoulder?

If so, I was referring to the other wombles, though the argument still stands
I meant to the first lot. The ex-cops or wannabe cops, who drive along in their hig viz jackets and beards and spot a dangerous wing mirror sitting on the hard shoulder or grass verge and bring the motorway to a standstill, whilst coning off half of southern england just to be safe. If they dont find a hubcap or other offending article, then they like to wrap broken down motorists in bacofoil and make them stand 1/2 a mile away from their car up a bank.

them
Old 28 February 2008, 11:51 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I like the trenches / ruts, as I can set cruise control to 56mph and get comfy and have a kip
Old 28 February 2008, 12:19 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I think the OP's problem is the 56mph bit. It's too similar to the speeds used by most trucks. Hence, it irritates the fsck out of them. Plus, use of CC means your speed is far more rigidly set than if you approximated a speed with your right foot. It all has an impact and leaves a different impression on other road users.

In my furby diesel, I tend to set the CC @ say 65. If I need to overtake, then I speed up if needed (usually have to on M25, M40, M4). Pull back in and let the CC take over again @ 65mph. At that speed, I find I'm not inconveniencing lorries and the workload is light as it takes a while to catch up to the next one. (No-one ever drives in lane 1 other than VW campers, lorries and caravans, oh, and Nissan Micras, limited to 40mph ).

Agree with the road rut problem. It's a disgrace and they are lethal when it rains.

J.
Old 28 February 2008, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

maybe, but I wanted to go to the Little Chef
Little Chef doles out expensive rubbish compared with a half decent transport cafe.

Les
Old 28 February 2008, 12:32 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel
My God! It was a horrendously dangerous experience! Not only had I to concentrate even more on safety, I was repeatedly boxed in, cut up and tailgated by MASSIVE vehicles whilst locked off at 56mph (via Sat Nav) on cruise control the whole car was tugging and meandering due to the ruts in the road. Changing lane was a hairy tuggy experience as you stepped out the ruts!
Pah. REAL mean try it in a thunderstorm
Old 28 February 2008, 12:34 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Little Chef doles out expensive rubbish compared with a half decent transport cafe.

Les

I was about 18 at the time and driving around in my first car
Little chef did me just fine
Old 28 February 2008, 01:44 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

I was about 18 at the time and driving around in my first car
Little chef did me just fine
I used to love an Early Starter at Little Chef up until a few years ago then the food became horrible
Old 28 February 2008, 01:53 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Pah. REAL mean try it in a thunderstorm
Yep, lane 1 becomes aquaplane lane then
Old 28 February 2008, 02:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

with monsoon levels of spray too, don't forget
Old 28 February 2008, 03:52 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I think the OP's problem is the 56mph bit. It's too similar to the speeds used by most trucks. Hence, it irritates the fsck out of them. Plus, use of CC means your speed is far more rigidly set than if you approximated a speed with your right foot. It all has an impact and leaves a different impression on other road users.

In my furby diesel, I tend to set the CC @ say 65. If I need to overtake, then I speed up if needed (usually have to on M25, M40, M4). Pull back in and let the CC take over again @ 65mph. At that speed, I find I'm not inconveniencing lorries and the workload is light as it takes a while to catch up to the next one. (No-one ever drives in lane 1 other than VW campers, lorries and caravans, oh, and Nissan Micras, limited to 40mph ).

Agree with the road rut problem. It's a disgrace and they are lethal when it rains.J.
Lot of truth in that - I'm not trying it again!

It is far safer to be in lane 2 or 3 at seventy something mph, having to change lane now and again. The going slower option means much more proximity to other vehicles, tailgaiting, rutting (!) and a total zig zag indicator fest between lanes 1 & 2.

D
Old 28 February 2008, 05:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

You should try riding the ruts in a heavily lowered Skyline GTR on hard coilovers. Especially when the 4 wheel steering gets confused

Quick Reply: I am increasingly a middle lane hogger for H&S reasons!