The Woman Who Stops Traffic - C4

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 09:32 PM
sockpuppet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The Woman Who Stops Traffic - C4

God - what an irritating woman.

Like a character from a French and Saunders sketch....
Old 26 February 2008, 09:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should all stop driving and start walking ........................

After you ... I see she was alone in her car!
Old 26 February 2008, 09:38 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Anyone see the green classic?
Old 26 February 2008, 09:48 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Annoying bint
Old 26 February 2008, 09:59 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Managed to clear the roads a bit though for a day.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I made a point of not watching.

All that would happen would be me getting visions of said annoying woman being run over, again, and again, and again
Old 26 February 2008, 10:04 PM
sockpuppet
Scooby Regular

Talking

The irony seems to be lost on the environmentalist programme makers that the 'climate change' caused by evil car drivers, has made it mild enough so that you can now actually cycle to work or school comfortably in February.
Old 26 February 2008, 10:43 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I live in the town which was featured tonight... i havent watched it yet but have recorded it to see later.. have had loads of people tell me not to bother..!

Basically she has got the bloke who owns the local bike shop singing her praises... i wonder if thats because he is hoping his sales might go up if he supports her...
Old 26 February 2008, 11:21 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
I live in the town which was featured tonight... i havent watched it yet but have recorded it to see later.. have had loads of people tell me not to bother..!
So tell us, what's the town like now? back to gridlock and **** to drive and live in?
Old 26 February 2008, 11:25 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Dracoro
So tell us, what's the town like now? back to gridlock and **** to drive and live in?
Is that what she said??!! It's a lovely little town by the Thames, and driving is no worse than anywhere else.. she should havetried her little experiment on a larger town...

She needs to remove her head from her ****
Old 27 February 2008, 08:58 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

has made it mild enough so that you can now actually cycle to work or school comfortably in February.
......whilst being battered by 70mph gales on the way home last night
Old 27 February 2008, 10:07 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I went out of my way NOT to watch it.

I knew it would wind me up.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:06 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

There was a pale yellow Scoob in the software company car park too.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What did she do then?

Les
Old 27 February 2008, 12:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Tried to organsie a day in the town where people were encouraged to not use their car for the day. Thought the idea was quite thought provoking, even if the woman herself was annoying. I suppose she had to be pushy and annoying to try and get her traffic free day working. There did seem to be a marked improvement regarding traffic outside the school. I can't think of a better example of an occasion when car use can be cut (with all the benefits that entails)than pupils going to a local school.
Old 27 February 2008, 12:13 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Anyone see the green classic?
Yep
Old 27 February 2008, 12:17 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
The irony seems to be lost on the environmentalist programme makers that the 'climate change' caused by evil car drivers, has made it mild enough so that you can now actually cycle to work or school comfortably in February.

LOL - I like it !
Old 27 February 2008, 12:54 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Not really sure why everyone finds this concept so annoying?

Don't you spend most of the time complaining about mums driving around the corner in 4x4s on the school run?

All this woman did was point out how pointless it was when they could walk and give their kids some exercise at the same time.

The difference on the day was incredible, barely a car in sight, instead of absolute chaos and mayhem the day before.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont know about stopping them but she'd certainly derail a few vehicles

Its a popular issue and shes jumped up to grab some airtime for herself.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:03 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

I was amazed how folk came around to the idea - some were dead set against "this woman coming here and telling us what to do" but eventually joined in - I wonder if the cameras made much difference?

One bloke from the Chamber of Commerce came across as a right tool:
CoC: "what's this meeting about?"
Presenter "reducing unnecessary car journeys and getting the traffic flowing"
CoC: "Hmmph, I needn't be here then; I thought it was about transport!"

He then flounces off and refuses to even speak when she asks him to say what his thoughts on the transport situation as a whole was and what he wanted to put over at the meeting - what a CoC!

Had to laugh at the school mums all going "we have to drive - there's too many cars to safely walk" Talk about not realising you are part of the problem!
Old 27 February 2008, 01:11 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that everyone in the town had the same opinion as most people on here, until they tried it.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Tried to organsie a day in the town where people were encouraged to not use their car for the day. Thought the idea was quite thought provoking, even if the woman herself was annoying. I suppose she had to be pushy and annoying to try and get her traffic free day working. There did seem to be a marked improvement regarding traffic outside the school. I can't think of a better example of an occasion when car use can be cut (with all the benefits that entails)than pupils going to a local school.
Thanks for the explanation. Wish i had seen it. Can't really comment, maybe she had to be pushy to succeed although that can be irritating of course.

Les.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:20 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Put it this way, by educating people, she achieved what Ken Livingstone has failed to achieve in London, and she didn't raise anyone's taxes or cost anyone any money.

Perhaps you prefer Red Ken's methods?
Old 27 February 2008, 01:34 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Was the first of a series, more to come.

Just because she's middle class doesn't make her bad. At the start she confessed that she had a family of 5 so couldn't entertain doing the weekly shop on a bike. I thought it was a good effort.

However the major effort seemed to be to try and win the cycle shed for your school. Can't see the council dishing out too many of them. But to reduce the number of kids travelling by car from 200+ to 9 shows what could be achieved if even half that number continued.
Old 27 February 2008, 10:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Ok... so I sat and watch it today. This woman made me mad

What a pile of crock! The programme seemed to centre on 1 primary school in the town - and as said above was mostly about who could win a bicycle rack!

Yes only 9 cars went to school out of 200+ pupils, on no car day - but how many of the pupils come from the same families? Or car pooled normally? It didn't seem a fair way to calculate it tbh.

The guy from the software company arranged the loan of 10 bicycles - for a staff of over 150.. I went past his office today, and the car park was full to overflowing.. with cars!! including thr yellow scoob

The High Street was shown on no car day to be devoid of traffic - but how many people also noticed that the pavements were empty too? They are normally bustling with people - i wonder how it effect the commercial side of things compared to an average day??

I had to drive out of town today, but on my way pack I made a point of passing the bicycle racks... guess how many bikes were parked up?

1! - There were cars full of mothers picking their kids up from school - and yep you guessed it.. most of them were coming from the school who won the bike park

I would say the editing of the programme got the message she wanted across, but in reality it didn't happen. I don't think I can bear to watch her for another 2 hours as she visits 2 other towns..
Old 27 February 2008, 11:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Looks like to me you're blaming her more than the idiots in oversized cars driving Milly and Molly 500 yards to school. You're quick to have a go at the woman but I don't see any solutions to the problem in your post
Old 27 February 2008, 11:31 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Looks like to me you're blaming her more than the idiots in oversized cars driving Milly and Molly 500 yards to school. You're quick to have a go at the woman but I don't see any solutions to the problem in your post
I'm not 'blaming' anyone..? I simply see it that this lady has come up with this idea, which through the editing of her programme looked like it achieved what she wanted - in reality it didn't.

I agree that 'Milly & Molly' could walk to school if they live within a reasonable, and safe distance, and I also think that the local office workers ( who reside in other towns) need to get up of their backsides and walk, and or car pool. If you could see the traffic which comes off the industrial estate shown, you would realise where a major part of the problem lies... unfortunately, every town with retail, recreational and industrial areas will have problems at some point during an average day with traffic... it's a given.

AFAIK, the towns residents didnt ask for this programme to be filmed here; if non-residents didnt use the High Street and bridge as a rat run to try and beat the by-pass, there wouldn't be such an issue - but this happens up and down the country - impatience and the need to be somewhere else is a part of society

I think that the guy from the bike shop phoning all his previous customers, and a local software company being shown and hiring 10 bikes for a workforce of 150+, together with this woman, on the whole, was just a blatant PR opportunity.

Out of interest, do you live in a thriving town, or a quaint village where these issues aren't a problem...? and how do you get to work each day, if you work that is
Old 28 February 2008, 04:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

I work 18 miles away and have to use the M1 through 10-6, all the way along the roadworks, makes your little town look like tumbleweed going down the main street. I could use public transport if I chose to wait around for a long time for a bus. I'd love to be able to bike to work. I'm not saying I wouldn't give up the use of my car, but along with 99% of other drivers I'll continue to drive anywhere until there's a proper alternative or I'm taxed off the road.

I'm pointing out, like she was, that people who live literally a few minutes walk to their destination should be openminded and try and switch to walking instead of driving. Was it not the case that her given experiment of walking and cycling to a given place in the town centre was quicker than a car from the same starting point? Maybe that was all trickery and manipulation by the producers too.

I don't know either way if the experiment worked on the day in question. But what it has done is highlight our over reliance on cars even for very short journeys, hey I'm guilty of it too.
Old 28 February 2008, 04:31 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

******* silly cow should find something better to do!