Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO Illegal Downloaders

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2008, 08:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FAO Illegal Downloaders

Recently a certain selection of PC games have been monitored and ISP have been court ordered to supply IP info !!

Two Worlds being one of the main monitored games !!

I know this for a fact !

You have been warned
Old 22 February 2008, 08:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why private trackers are so good as it is harder (not impossible) to put up a fake file.

Steve
Old 22 February 2008, 08:05 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
That is why private trackers are so good as it is harder (not impossible) to put up a fake file.

Steve
Sadly private trackers are still open to anyone to join up ... at sometimes
Old 22 February 2008, 11:28 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Sadly private trackers are still open to anyone to join up ... at sometimes
you have misinterpreted the word "private"
Old 22 February 2008, 11:38 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
you have misinterpreted the word "private"
Define your idea of private ?

Mine would be sites like Torrent Leech ?

Do you mean Private as in you have one setup with your friends were you record films and crack software !!!
Old 22 February 2008, 11:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first rule of fight club
Old 23 February 2008, 12:39 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

second rule of fight club
Old 23 February 2008, 12:47 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Spookily all the 'public' torrent sites I use have just gone offline!! uknova, tvtorrents and mininova.

Could be a Be*There problem of course ...

Steve
Old 23 February 2008, 01:25 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Third rule of fight club - its all made up and actually in your head !
Old 23 February 2008, 02:17 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Spookily all the 'public' torrent sites I use have just gone offline!! uknova, tvtorrents and mininova.
Just had a look on Mininova and the torrent browsing section seems OK but the forum looks down.
Old 23 February 2008, 08:04 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

best way to download stuff is to install proxyswitcher,google it.

it supplies a list of working proxy servers, even changes your internet settings at the click of the button,so you dont have to manually change your own ip,good stufff.

then,once using a proxy in brazil,the wolrds yoor oyster
Old 23 February 2008, 08:28 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Just had a look on Mininova and the torrent browsing section seems OK but the forum looks down.
I think it was just Be*There's DNS again as everything is working this morning.

Steve
Old 23 February 2008, 09:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

what has this got to do with pc games?
Old 23 February 2008, 10:03 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
what has this got to do with pc games?

I'm wondering this as well ?? As once a game is installed how can they tell its a copy ?? And if it were thru playing online where you need a key thats what private servers are for !
Old 23 February 2008, 10:09 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This warning refers to the actual downloading of PC games. While you are downloading your torrents, apparently, they are being monitored.

I still don't know how they can bring any sort of action against torrent use. The very nature of torrents mean that no individual person downloads/uploads all of the file apart from the original seeder.
Old 23 February 2008, 10:18 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

We had a guy at work who recieved a solicitors letter saying he had downloaded a game, and wanted 300 quid settlement fee to avoid any further action

They claimed they had his IP Address and full details and categoric proof and they had paid the ISP a fee to get this information (50 quid I believe the figure was)

Anyhow he denied it, ignored the letter spoke to Telewest who assured him the solictitors letter was a fake and scam, but upon closer inpspection and further investigation it was actually true and a legitimate legal action

Telewest had indeed gave his information out to the solicitors of the game manfacturer, and the guy at work had indeed downloaded the game illegally, so in the end he paid the 300 quid

The game he had downloaded was so long ago that he didnt remember it, I think the time frame was about 8-10 months
Old 23 February 2008, 10:25 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

look for unsecured wireless networks, and dl the game from their ISP
Old 23 February 2008, 11:18 AM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

they'll never stop illegal downloads - there's a way around everything
Old 23 February 2008, 11:24 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
We had a guy at work who recieved a solicitors letter saying he had downloaded a game, and wanted 300 quid settlement fee to avoid any further action

They claimed they had his IP Address and full details and categoric proof and they had paid the ISP a fee to get this information (50 quid I believe the figure was)

Anyhow he denied it, ignored the letter spoke to Telewest who assured him the solictitors letter was a fake and scam, but upon closer inpspection and further investigation it was actually true and a legitimate legal action

Telewest had indeed gave his information out to the solicitors of the game manfacturer, and the guy at work had indeed downloaded the game illegally, so in the end he paid the 300 quid

The game he had downloaded was so long ago that he didnt remember it, I think the time frame was about 8-10 months
I think I would go to court. We have a wireless network and we can see 6 others from my room. One of the people who lives near us runs a computer business. If he hacked out network I doubt I would ever know, let alone know what he did with it.
Old 23 February 2008, 11:32 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

So they cannot legally stop sites like utorrent emule etc from spreading the files - so now they are targetting private individuals as we are the soft target.

Just goes to show how far those greedy *******s are prepared to go to save themselves a few pounds.

It'd be interested to see how would they go about enforcing that. They say i downloaded a game - i say i didnt. Its not too hard to delete the evidence. Can they they be 100% sure that it was me just by looking at ISP's records? And most importantly would their evidence hold up in court?
Old 23 February 2008, 11:41 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

sorry mate but that's not true. A court order is required for an ISP to supply contact information for any customer. The fines placed on them for breaking DPA would be massive, it would be front page news !!
Old 23 February 2008, 11:43 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
So they cannot legally stop sites like utorrent emule etc from spreading the files - so now they are targetting private individuals as we are the soft target.

Just goes to show how far those greedy *******s are prepared to go to save themselves a few pounds.

It'd be interested to see how would they go about enforcing that. They say i downloaded a game - i say i didnt. Its not too hard to delete the evidence. Can they they be 100% sure that it was me just by looking at ISP's records? And most importantly would their evidence hold up in court?
Yes and yes

When you connect to a torrent you're IP (at the moment) is clearly seen and all ISPs keep a log of who has used which IP.

I guess they wait for you to seed an entire program before they move.. but they can record it and unless you're going to hirer a fantastic Solicitor your screwed.
Old 23 February 2008, 11:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
This warning refers to the actual downloading of PC games. While you are downloading your torrents, apparently, they are being monitored.

I still don't know how they can bring any sort of action against torrent use. The very nature of torrents mean that no individual person downloads/uploads all of the file apart from the original seeder.
Not to one person no, but if you monitor someone long enough chances are they will unload at last equal to what they have downloaded.

Also even if you upload 1mb of a 6gb game technically that 1mb is still covered by copyright !!
Old 23 February 2008, 11:45 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega

There have been some cases go to court in other countries. Most appear to be "sham" trials to be honest. They use the biggest legal guns against some poor end user. I think they have mostly won.

I would be interested to see how they intend to prove beyond reasonable doubt who it actually was that used the internet connection.
Old 23 February 2008, 11:48 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
There have been some cases go to court in other countries. Most appear to be "sham" trials to be honest. They use the biggest legal guns against some poor end user. I think they have mostly won.

I would be interested to see how they intend to prove beyond reasonable doubt who it actually was that used the internet connection.
Its a scare tactic, to stop Joe public downloading !!
Old 23 February 2008, 12:36 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Its a scare tactic, to stop Joe public downloading !!
Interesting to see it being employed in this country though!
I wonder how long the list is of potential litigants. Starting with the list of music/entertainment companies, I guess the list is quite long.

J.
Old 23 February 2008, 12:57 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

This is going to become a big issue over the next few months: BBC NEWS | Technology | ISPs could face piracy sanctions The UK and France are leading the way on this issue.

I don't really understand why they're bothering as it's a certainty that a way round whatever solution they come up with will be found within hours. Besides, it's not exactly in the ISP's interests to stop illegal downloading is it? Who'd bother paying for their fastest packages if all anyone's allowed to do is browse the net..?
Old 23 February 2008, 01:35 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

sorry mate but that's not true. A court order is required for an ISP to supply contact information for any customer. The fines placed on them for breaking DPA would be massive, it would be front page news !!
Im sorry but it is true, I have read the 14 page Solicitors letter going into detail the users IP address etc etc

Telewest originally said it was a scam. later they had admitted they had recieved the relevant legal papers for the request for information and passed it over

So it is indeed true
Old 23 February 2008, 01:43 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Im sorry but it is true, I have read the 14 page Solicitors letter going into detail the users IP address etc etc

Telewest originally said it was a scam. later they had admitted they had recieved the relevant legal papers for the request for information and passed it over

So it is indeed true
You've just changed what you said.

Your first post made it sound like for £50 you can buy peoples information.

If a court order was given, then Telewest have the right to charge an admin cost.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:06 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I didnt change what I said, the orginal solicitors letter stated that they had indeed paid a 50 quid fee for the information

Whether this was a court order cost or an admin fee charged by Telewest is something that wasn't made clear in the original solicitors letter

We charged the Police a hell of a lot more than that (500 quid I think we charged them) for supplying information on one of our customers who either got shot in the face or shot someone in the face

Quick Reply: FAO Illegal Downloaders