Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Greenpeace protestors scale Heathrow jet

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2008, 02:26 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Greenpeace protestors scale Heathrow jet

This story makes me puke with anger. Not because of anything to do with climate change, but because, after years of queuing, queuing, queuing, brusque "security" staff, queuing, having to take off my shoes, belt, earpiece, false kneecap, fillings from my teeth etc etc, and more queuing, every time I go through a terminal (oh how appropriate that name is), after years of saying we have to send all our credit card bills and bank account details for the last hundred years to the USA and our biometric data, our imperial metric data, our underwear size..., after years of mounting pressure to introduce ID cards for our security... the [entire contents of the swear filter] can't stop people CLIMBING ON A JET at supposedly one of the most secure / high risk airports in the developed world at 9.30am on a Monday morning!

AAAAARGH!
Old 25 February 2008, 02:30 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed.

If that had been a Muslim with a Bomb ...............

Personally I hate all those Green piece activists. Army should use them as target practice
Old 25 February 2008, 03:34 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Unless they walked there in clothers and shoes they made themselves from their own resources and only eat produce they farm themselves, in a house made from mud then they are pitiful hypocrites. Any contribution to our captialist western ways is a contribution to Co2 emmisions...

If a muslim had done this they would be looking at life in a hard knock jail on terrorism charges.

Greenpeace must surely be facing PR hell at the moment, what with those illegal ship rammers in the Antartic and now this

Eco warriors? Naah, they're just saddo criminals breaking the law under an eco banner...
Old 25 February 2008, 04:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Good fun though, imagine the talk down the pub,
"Get upto much yesterday?"
" Yeah, we sat on a jumbo jets' wing down at that new heathrow terminal, next month we're off down to the antartic"
Old 25 February 2008, 04:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder how they managed to scale the sleek sides of the plane in their fair-trade sandals...
Old 25 February 2008, 06:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start it up, they soon get down.....
Old 25 February 2008, 07:31 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
This story makes me puke with anger. Not because of anything to do with climate change, but because, after years of queuing, queuing, queuing, brusque "security" staff, queuing, having to take off my shoes, belt, earpiece, false kneecap, fillings from my teeth etc etc, and more queuing, every time I go through a terminal (oh how appropriate that name is), after years of saying we have to send all our credit card bills and bank account details for the last hundred years to the USA and our biometric data, our imperial metric data, our underwear size..., after years of mounting pressure to introduce ID cards for our security... the [entire contents of the swear filter] can't stop people CLIMBING ON A JET at supposedly one of the most secure / high risk airports in the developed world at 9.30am on a Monday morning!

AAAAARGH!
Actually they did all that security stuff at Manchester. That's why they were "armed" with only a banner. If they'd have a bomb, gun, knife etc, they'd never have got on the plane at Man.

As for how they got on the plane, I'm hearing that someone distracted the guy at the air bridge, moved him away from his post, and the rest of them climbed up onto the air bridge roof, and walked down it, to the top of the aircraft.

This would have been much more serious if this chimps had scaled the perimeter fence and got to the plane. As it was, silly in the extreme, but harmless.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think the protest was at the proposal to build a third runway at Heathrow and to double the passenger throughput annually. Strange the authorities should support that with all the fuss they make about global warming isn't it?

I can understand why people protest at that with the threat of losing their homes and having so much extra noise to endure and the extra road traffic which will be generated.

Les
Old 26 February 2008, 12:11 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think the protest was at the proposal to build a third runway at Heathrow and to double the passenger throughput annually. Strange the authorities should support that with all the fuss they make about global warming isn't it?

I can understand why people protest at that with the threat of losing their homes and having so much extra noise to endure and the extra road traffic which will be generated.

Les
People "thinking" and not "knowing"!!! It's about "saving the planet" (Which we can't thanks to that big yellow ball in the daytime sky).
Old 26 February 2008, 12:16 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As much as I'm against another runway at Heathrow (as I think other airports should be upgarded and developed to off-load excess airtraffic which needlessly travels to LHR ). I won't side on the whim of "green" activists.

The green lobby has no say in the matter. If they want to address pollution by aircraft; then complain at the source - plane manufacturers.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:21 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
As much as I'm against another runway at Heathrow (as I think other airports should be upgarded and developed to off-load excess airtraffic which needlessly travels to LHR ). I won't side on the whim of "green" activists.

The green lobby has no say in the matter. If they want to address pollution by aircraft; then complain at the source - plane manufacturers.
It's about money! Frankfurt will get the "traffic" if LHR doesn't.
Old 27 February 2008, 01:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
It's about money! Frankfurt will get the "traffic" if LHR doesn't.
Of course it is-that is far more important to this lot than anything, especially the people.

Les
Old 27 February 2008, 01:07 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Roof of Houses of Parliament this morning.

Way to go, guys
Old 27 February 2008, 01:13 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

We landed at Heathrow the same time these guys were doing their stuff, albeit at another terminal. I had to laugh really for all the same reasons Brendan originally put... LOL
Old 27 February 2008, 01:17 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Of course it is-that is far more important to this lot than anything, especially the people.

Les
Of course, it also helps over 100,000 people employeed at LHR, so it could be said its about people as well Les. The people who work at the airport.

This isn't about airport expansion, its isn't about global warming, its about NIMBY's.

Care to guess how many complaints about aircraft there are at LHR, per year?
Old 27 February 2008, 04:19 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Go on, how many?
Old 27 February 2008, 04:23 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ok, surely they should be seen as potentiol terrorists, shoot one and watch the others run. Could make a good sport IMO
Old 27 February 2008, 06:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Go on, how many?
Approx 5000 complaints a year. Half of those are made by 20 people. That's out of a Greater London population of 7.5million.
Old 27 February 2008, 06:10 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I bet those 20 people still go on summer holidays by plane....
Old 28 February 2008, 11:41 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Approx 5000 complaints a year. Half of those are made by 20 people. That's out of a Greater London population of 7.5million.
And what are the complaints about? Is it a case of "I seem to have moved to a house under the flightpath of the world's busiest airport and I am disturbed by the noise from the jumbo jets flying over me when I'm in the garden...."?
Old 28 February 2008, 11:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Approx 5000 complaints a year. Half of those are made by 20 people.
Do they work in the Traffic Control tower?
Old 28 February 2008, 12:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Of course, it also helps over 100,000 people employeed at LHR, so it could be said its about people as well Les. The people who work at the airport.

This isn't about airport expansion, its isn't about global warming, its about NIMBY's.

Is it fair to say that if your house was going to be compulsorily purchased so that the runway can be built over your property and that your area was going to be swamped with wall to wall extra traffic and you would have to put up with all that extra noise, that you would feel no "Nimbysm" as you call it and welcome the proposal?

Those 100,000 at LHR are already employed and I doubt they will lose their jobs without the third runway anyway.

My point about Global warming was misconstrued by you, I said it is strange that a government which is all for every possible way to tax us away from causing GBW is advocating increasing air traffic to such a degree thus going against their own decrees.

I did not state an objection personally for that particular reason but was saying that I could understand the point that the protestors were making.
That goes also for the Parliament roof protestors and I admire them for taking such a public stand against the way this bunch of clowns in charge is railroading the people into accepting their decisions and taking no notice of what the people of this country really want their taxes spent on!

I hope this is now clear to you.

Les
Old 28 February 2008, 01:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

You forgot the bit about a bullet in the back of the neck for anyone protesting...
Old 28 February 2008, 03:14 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Is it fair to say that if your house was going to be compulsorily purchased so that the runway can be built over your property and that your area was going to be swamped with wall to wall extra traffic and you would have to put up with all that extra noise, that you would feel no "Nimbysm" as you call it and welcome the proposal?

Those 100,000 at LHR are already employed and I doubt they will lose their jobs without the third runway anyway.

My point about Global warming was misconstrued by you, I said it is strange that a government which is all for every possible way to tax us away from causing GBW is advocating increasing air traffic to such a degree thus going against their own decrees.

I did not state an objection personally for that particular reason but was saying that I could understand the point that the protestors were making.
That goes also for the Parliament roof protestors and I admire them for taking such a public stand against the way this bunch of clowns in charge is railroading the people into accepting their decisions and taking no notice of what the people of this country really want their taxes spent on!

Les
Les, we get people complaining saying, "why can't you send the planes over the council estates" That's the sort of people we're dealing with.

To answer your first point. I'd move! These people live in house that are close to the airport and have a premium on them because of that.

Emissions from aircraft GLOBALLY are 2% of all emissions. Not that much of a figure is it? Yet the aircraft manufacturers have committed to a 50% reduction in fuel burn by 2020. Anyone think that the MY2020 Scooby will do 50mpg? Thought not.

The people of this country never get their taxes spent on what they want. I thought you'd have known that?

As for the 100,000 jobs, if LHR is allowed to decline, airlines will move out to Schipol and Frankfurt and jobs will be lost.
Old 28 February 2008, 10:25 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Les
Wonder when the rest of the world will wake up to the global Govn't hypocricy?
Old 28 February 2008, 10:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Wonder when the rest of the world will wake up to the global Govn't hypocricy?
I fail to see where the hypocrisy is?
Old 28 February 2008, 10:45 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I can't help you if you are so blind that you cannot see the obvious.
Old 28 February 2008, 10:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I can't help you if you are so blind that you cannot see the obvious.
Does that mean that you can't answer the question?

Quick Reply: Greenpeace protestors scale Heathrow jet