Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pest problem; Letting nature take its course

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2008, 09:04 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Pest problem; Letting nature take its course

Recently, some feejit nearby bought some white doves. I assume this as one day about a year ago, ten of them suddenly appeared perched on the aerial of the house opposite, none were ringed.

And there they stayed perching on the roofs of the houses opposite, flying round in circles and sh**ting on my car. Lovely

If one thought that was a problem, then what happened after some months was worse. They bred, and bred. The result of which is now 30odd cross-bred half-white pigeons.

So now I have 30 pigeons circling round and round sh*tting everywhere. I cleaned the car yesturday and today there is eleven bird turds on it. Marvelous.

Anyhoo, only today, we've had conversations on what to do about it - they don't perch on my roof, somehow they instinctly know I have an air rifle, so keep at bay.

Well, in all this, today I noted a cloud of white feathers blow past the window and thought, "ahh good, a car has just hit one of the flying rats...one down, 29 to go". However a few mins later my mum's partner who had popped round shouted to me that there was a "ruddy great crow" attacking one of the pigeons.

So I look out the window...It was only a Kestrel that had plucked one of the doves off the Aerial and was tucking in to a nice Satuday lunch in my garden

Living on the edge of an urban sprawl, birds of prey round here are very rare, all we get usually the odd barn owl (if we're lucky). So it was lovely sight and nature's perfect solution at helping control these flying rats.

Having said that, he might not be a kestrel - right shape and colours, but he did seem a bit bigger, and had no problem at carrying the dove when he flew off (with dove in tow) after seeing me through the window getting my camera out - before I had the chance to grab a picture (typical), so maybe a Falcon of some sort.

He was ringed, so maybe an escapee from the local falconry centre. Either way, I hope he sticks round for a while

Big Crow!?!...indeed! :lol1
Old 23 February 2008, 09:17 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Well at least you know what to buy to solve the problem

Birds of prey are fiercely protected. So if you can find a legal means to buy one, then I suspect your poo on car problems are at an end
Old 23 February 2008, 09:39 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

i doubt a kestral would go for a dove but i might be wrong! good stuff though
Old 23 February 2008, 09:44 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

More likely a female sparrowhawk.
Old 23 February 2008, 09:58 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Could be a kite if it was a really big bird but they usuaslly feed on carrion - dead animals and birds so Simon C is probably right with the sparrowhawk. Now its found a source of food it sholud be back for more expecially if it has young to feed.
Old 23 February 2008, 10:42 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Kites are more redish all over than either Kestral or Sparrowhawk, not to mention the distinctive forked tail.

However kite is possible if he's in the right area, but yes, Kites are more carrion feeders than hunters.

Knew my parents forcing me to go birdwatching with them would come in usefull for something.
Old 23 February 2008, 11:21 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

sparrowhawk would be my guess. you'll know when it's meaty stool lands on your car

Trending Topics

Old 24 February 2008, 12:51 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

We got zillions of these Red Kites round our way. They've done really well in the last few years. Massive great things and really beutiful. Was it one of these?

Old 25 February 2008, 03:40 PM
nooobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Nice photo. We've got a flock of about 14 and we are watching two pairs building nests nearby.

Its just a shame they don't deal with our rabbit problem!
Old 26 February 2008, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They say that more birds of prey are now living in towns etc because of the easy stock of birds to eat such as pigeons.

Les
Old 26 February 2008, 04:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sparrowhawks do prey on pigeons. They will eat smaller birds, but obviously will kill and eat a pigeon if they can.

To see one actually hit the prey is amazing: they go in with talons extended at a hell of a speed, and the prey gets stabbed with 6 or more needle sharp talons each about an inch long. If they are hit right, most, even pigeons, are dead before they hit the floor.

Having said that, there was a sparrowhawk on the neighbours' front lawn before Christmas, sitting on top of a LIVE starling, plucking it and eating it, while the starling screamed. I went out 'cos I though a cat had got it, but the hawk flew off with it still screaming.

Alcazar
Old 26 February 2008, 05:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Just get yourself a nice pre-charged air rifle with decent scope and silencer and pick them off at long range
Old 26 February 2008, 05:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if its had luck with you, it will be back, so give it a few months and no more pigeons i should think, they'll either be lunch or will move on
Old 26 February 2008, 06:57 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Just get yourself a nice pre-charged air rifle with decent scope and silencer and pick them off at long range
Already have one (although using the silencer at the range involved, the pellets would prabably bounce off them ). There is always my poacher's rifle, I suppose Problem is I don't think my neighbours would like me with having to pick up 30 odd dead pigeons off their back lawns.

Now, if they landed on my roof, different story - however it seems they instinctly know not to perch anywhere near my roof

Did a head count today, and it seems there is 28 or 29 now, there was defintely more than 30 at one point
Old 26 February 2008, 07:17 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Get the latest "must have"
Old 28 February 2008, 11:56 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Another dead dove on the front lawn when I went out this morning

Appears to have spooked the rest, as there's only 8 perched on the roof opposite

Now to address the other problem; I wonder if Sparrowhawks go for cats
Old 29 February 2008, 01:39 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Glad to read your visitor is enjoying lunch still!

As for the cats - get a dog!
Old 01 March 2008, 09:46 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Here's a great set of pixs of nature in the raw with a sparrow hawk doing its thing:

Sparrowhawk's swift kill caught on camera - Telegraph

If you are a member of the RSPB, be warned - the sparrow dies!
Old 01 March 2008, 01:37 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

we had one dying in the garden a few months ago, they are the dodge viper of the bird world. even on deaths door this thing looked pure evil
Old 01 March 2008, 02:13 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Living in rural Oxfordshire, the local Sparrowhawk sorted out our Dove / Pigeon problem

Off to the village one day and outside the house, there it was tucking into a tasty treat. The bl00dy things were cr4pping everywhere and waking me up in the morning. All four dissappeared over the next three weeks - sorted