Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Just a warning sent out by www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
Sorry if it has been on here already.

FRENCH POLICE DESTROY GEODESY:

One reader reported today that a mate of his had stopped to fix a
puncture and the French police pulled up behind him to help. They
spotted the Geodesy on the dash and decided to take action.

He said the said Police spot the geodesy. He tries to explain that it is not a radar detector but a GPS locater but the local police chose to ignore all his explanations. It was taken off the dash and he was made to get in his car and literally drive over it with the new spare tyre just changed.

He made loud protests and he says that one of the officers opened
the pouch of his holster and pointed with his other hand towards the harbour where my mate was going anyway...

The French police do not like any kind of speedtrap detector or
warning system, he was lucky not to get a fine.

If you are visiting France and have to use any kit, keep it very well hidden. Radar Detectors, Jammers or GPS are all the same to the French police.

EDITED to make URL active (I hope)

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster 2 - 1/22/2002 4:24:23 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 04:55 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Always makes me laugh this one....

There ARE NO Gatso's in France (well ive never seen one) and the Police are very relaxed about "making progress" as long as you dont take the **** and drive like a muppet.

So why risk it when its not needed!!!!! Keep it for the UK!!!

Jza
Old 22 January 2002, 05:02 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Cool

Exactly Jza..

but I have visited France once and didn't think anything of it and had my detector sat on the dash, not plugged in mind.
Had I had known their attitude I would have left it at home.

Strange that if they are no use in France that the Police are so bothered by them?
Old 22 January 2002, 05:03 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I wonder what the French cops would do if you had a G tech timer which measures 0-60, quarter mile times, braking distance and G force, mounted on the windscreen. This gadjet looks like a radar detector. Would they believe it was not a detector?

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 22 January 2002, 05:08 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi WREXY

I wouldn't use it as unless your French is great you will have
problems explaining to them what it is.

At least you don't have the Police problem in Greece eh!
My cousin had 245kph on the clock going to Korinthos

Kosmas.
Old 22 January 2002, 05:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've heard this before. Have heard some horror stories aobut people having cars ripped apart with police looking for the hidden recptor for radar dectrors.

wonder if you'd get the same hassle if the car did not have british plates on it? hmmmmmmmm.

Must say that the blackbeast does have a radar dector, but it's a jap one and don't work over here, so I never use it.

Totally forgot about this when coming back from germany and was late for my 'le shuttle' and was doing, umm, a fair few mph through france, and only dawned on me when I got on the shuttle that they might not have liked the radar dector.
Old 22 January 2002, 05:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kosy, I didn't have that problem in France either, returning to Le Shuttle behind a bunch of Sunday morning bikers. That's pretty much what I got on my Terzo speedo, but it was just me and I was trying to keep my eyes on the road at that speed!

BJH

PS Any gendarmes watching probably let me off as I didn't have a radar detector!
Old 22 January 2002, 06:07 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got a rather large air freshener on the dash of my car that looks a bit like a radar detector. I'd love to see the look on their faces after getting me to drive over it and seeing a load of blue gunk squelch out from under the tyre...
Old 22 January 2002, 06:43 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Not taking your detector with you to France is not a problem if you stay in the south of England, but what are you supposed to do if you stay up north? Drive to the south cost, dig a large hole, plant the detector (then dig it back up on your way home) or risk driving hundreds on miles through Gatso infested countryside without one?

I don't know the exact law in France regarding what constitues a speed camera detector, or the french legal system at all, but I would assume that they would have to prove you guilty of something, which with a Geodesy would be difficult. There is no way I would have driven over it myself, if they wanted to destroy it that is up to them, and they could expect a claim against them for damaging my property.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:01 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Kos,

The cops are starting to tighten up here too. My Bel Euro 550 has picked up Laser on 3 occasions and a Ku band radar gun on the road that goes from Korinth to Patra. Yesterday on the Korinth to Athens motorway, there was a laser trap and in my area they use laser and Ku band mini gatsos all the time. At least once a week a pick up either laser or mini gatsos in my town. I get 150-200 metre warnings on the mini gatsos, which is plenty.

Radar detectors are illegal here. I have mine mounted on the drivers side sun visor and pull it down when there is a trap. They don't really look for them here though. Not many people would have them and I have a feeling the cops in my area probably don't even know what they are, or probably have never seen one. It's a different story in Athens though and I hide it whenever I go there.

By the way I've also seen 245kph in my scoob on the same road as your cousin, but after reading the main bearing thread in drivetrain, I don't do those sorts of speeds any more.

Cheers,

Wrexy.