Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Body Building - Is anyone willing to help me.

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2008, 08:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Body Building - Is anyone willing to help me.

Really quickly as I don't want to waste everyones time.

I can't afford a professional to help me but I don't seem to be getting anywhere on my own. Loads of post in a forum are confusing and probably doing more harm than good.. although I am grateful.

Is there anyone on here who is will to spend the time, via PM or email to help me create a weight training plan correctly.

Including if possible diet.

I have been doing this for a few months now and have become toned and stronger, but am not gaining much size.

Please don't post here, but if you are willing to help - ideally someone who is really into their body building, please PM me.

I'm serious about his and have been working extremely hard !

Thanks guys.
Old 13 February 2008, 08:53 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no expert but do remember you always see yourself smaller than you are, other people see u bigger.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:02 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try bodybuilding.com and muscletalk some good workout plans on there. how much protein are you getting a day.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:08 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Whatever you do dont use steriods. Everybody is different in the way they put on muscle, vary your workouts every few weeks and eat healthily. Ultimately it depends on your body size, type and goals which will determine how big you will get, a few months is a short time. Give it year or so then you will see some difference.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:13 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hrness
no expert but do remember you always see yourself smaller than you are, other people see u bigger.
I'll keep telling myself that..

No point going over it here people, don't think I'm not grateful but I need more..
Old 13 February 2008, 09:16 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

yeah muscletalk is a great forum, plus it has lots of good articles to read
Old 13 February 2008, 09:17 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

how much protein are you getting a day.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but is there an upper limit? I train twice a week and take protein drinks before and after, should I take it every day or is that too much?
cheers in advance,
astraboy.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by astraboy
Sorry for the thread hijack, but is there an upper limit? I train twice a week and take protein drinks before and after, should I take it every day or is that too much?
cheers in advance,
astraboy.
1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, and yes you need to take protein on your rest days as this is when the body needs it to repair/grow muscle.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:33 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
cheers in advance,
astraboy.
I once took advice from a pro bodybuilder re protein intake. The intake suggested was calculated by how much body fat I had compared to my bodyweight. I can't remember how much I should have taken but I generally have 3 tablespoon fulls of decent quality stuff in milk immediately after training. Just remember that your body cannot store protein. It takes what it requires when the protein is passed through and the rest is turfed out. No need to take in on days off unless you didn't have the correct intake after your last session.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:35 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

also take some form of protein ideally within an hour of exercise as it does exactly what it should do then.

Pimmo, also try CNP Professional for the ultimate in sports nutrition they have various guides there and forums etc.

As Andy says above, vary your workout and let your body recover, it is the recovery stage when the muscles grow. You can only gain a certain amount of muscle weight over a period of time (cant remember it exactly) but naturally it isnt gonna happen overnight.

Depending on your exercises, increase the weights to start with and drop set, or start light (few sets) and then do a heavy set to failure
Old 13 February 2008, 09:44 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

also pimmo check out the build on an 11stone 2 ufc fighter do they look small to you. you will see what i mean, and do not become obsessed , rest is really important overtraining will stop growth as your muscles effectively eat themselves, diet as said believe it or not loads of fresh fruit and veg, protein loads, and take a week off every 8 weeks, it is a really complicated and time consuming thing to do seriously, serious bodybuilders live eat and sleep it, it is also not cheap. naturally everyone has their build limit and as i wont take steroids i am only 12 stone. find a proper gym you will be welcomed, like everything go to the expeerts, the experts on here are probably too busy training, you really need to go to them.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:50 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Ask here CNP's Kerry Kayes Q & A section Kerry Kays was an ex champion bodybuilder and is Ricky Hattons strength coach and nutrionist and also owns CNP

what he does not know about nutrition and training isn't worth knowing about.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:51 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

also guys, protein will be retained, but as fat, relatively little, i admit ,and if you are a bit over wont hurt you, so dont worry. protein on rest days does help recovery. and as no one has mentioned them, without the right carb intake all the above wont help, as you will have no energy to lift to full potential, drink penty of water daily as 1% dehydration can cause 10% loss of your potential.
Old 13 February 2008, 10:06 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

You cannot put fat on by eating excess protein (sounds crap but its true) only through excess carbs and fats, what i mean by protein is clean protein, so it does not mean you can have a 32oz steak everynight as this will have a lot of fat in it.

Excess protein just gets disposed of as waste.

keep your protein intake high and clean i.e. Tuna, Skinless chicken breasts etc. and a protein shake which is low in carbs and with skimmed milk (or water) one after your workout and one before bed.

dont overtrain, train 2-3 times a week using basic heavy excercises.

No p***ing about chatting just get on with it and out of the gym i do an hour at the most.

seperate cardio from strength workouts, do on different days - although a warm up and cool down on a bike for 5 mins is fine just no strenuous stuff.

good luck
Old 13 February 2008, 10:30 PM
CristianH
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Really quickly as I don't want to waste everyones time.

I can't afford a professional to help me but I don't seem to be getting anywhere on my own. Loads of post in a forum are confusing and probably doing more harm than good.. although I am grateful.

Is there anyone on here who is will to spend the time, via PM or email to help me create a weight training plan correctly.

Including if possible diet.

I have been doing this for a few months now and have become toned and stronger, but am not gaining much size.

Please don't post here, but if you are willing to help - ideally someone who is really into their body building, please PM me.

I'm serious about his and have been working extremely hard !

Thanks guys.
No-one can "help you" but you will get advice, some good some not so good.

You wont gain much muscle after only a few months.

Dont take steroids. Get your diet absolutely BANG on. Be consistent. Read read then read some more. If you want to step it up join a gym and get a training partner.

Good luck, it's alot of work for not much return (unless you are fat ******* etc).
Old 13 February 2008, 10:33 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ that's incorrect

Protein in absence of any other 'substance' within in the body will be used for energy ergo if you eat an excess in energy required by your body, even if purely from a protein source, the energy will be eventually converted to fat. (protein is made up of carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen so it will quite happily dump the nitrogen which will be excreted in urine and he C & H will be used to build sugars to glycogen to fat)
Old 13 February 2008, 10:40 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
dont overtrain, train 2-3 times a week
I can't agree with that statement at all.Try telling that to a pro.
I have always trained 4-5 times a week and I am qualified to kick sand in anyones face although what works for one doesn't work for the other.
Old 13 February 2008, 10:45 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys but you are wrong - pure protein and what i mean here is pure protein not fat is stored in the muscle - any excess is simply disposed of, KK will tell you this and years ago another champion bodybuilder who is well known in oldham told me as well.
Old 13 February 2008, 10:48 PM
Red_WRX_Paul
Scooby Regular

i take it you have a VERY compact,ineffective and somewhat lamentable dick
Old 13 February 2008, 10:49 PM
Red_WRX_Paul
Scooby Regular

i take it you have a VERY compact,ineffective and somewhat lamentable dick
Old 13 February 2008, 11:12 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Copied from CNP

'The type of calories you eat will determine what type of weight you put on, muscle is stored protein and body fat is stored energy normally from excessive carbohydrate and fat intake that you have not metabolised. Simply put muscle is stored protein that you have metabolised and body fat is carbohydrates & fats that you have not metabolised.'

bodybuilders have been using the low carb diet to strip bodyfat for decades, they keep their protein intake sky high to maintain the majority of their muscle mass whilst cutting carbs to a minimum to strip bodyfat.

These bodybuilders are still consuming 300 grams+ of protein a day yet are stepping on stage with between 2-4% of bodyfat.

they do this by cardio and cutting carbs, cutting protein would result in muscle catabolism
Old 14 February 2008, 08:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys.
Old 14 February 2008, 09:24 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I have been training for 3 months and started doing light weights daily (always been interested in the nutritional aspect though). I have put on approx 1 stone is lean muscle without really varying my diet much other than using off the shelf protein products (I take around 60-70g of protein powder every day plus a tin of tuna on top of my normal healthy diet giving me an extra 100g of decent protein a day). You have to remember that not everybody puts on bulk as easily as some, diet is important but so is rest/exercise.

As I got stronger I reduced my training to 3 or 4 times a week training much heavier weights to fail points (alternating weekly between 1 day muscle group a training and 2 days muscle group b training). Sometimes that means 5 sets of 5 and not being able to lift a 6th. Form is far more important than weight ........... I know it is not easy but keeping a good movement will give much better results than cheating the exercise even if it gives you bragging rights in the gym.

Make sure you vary your exercises, the human body is very good at 'learning' exercises so the impact of them lessons over time, you need to keep challenging your muscles so that they have to work at it rather than just doing the same as always.

If you are lifting heavy then you should not be able to train more than twice a week on those muscles, any more than that and you haven't been pushing yourself hard enough. Pros are a slightly different topic but for your average gym go-er (I do all my exercises at home at don't use the gym) twice a week on your preferred muscles (I am guessing biceps/lats/pecs) is enough.

Loads of mags in the shops/online tell you all about diet, the stuff on maximuscle.com or myprotein.co.uk are both good sources of general info and example diets to follow.

Steroids are for when you have got the maximum out of your body and it no longer responds, that should be years and years away.
Old 14 February 2008, 09:36 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

[quote=Bakerman;7652216]

If you are lifting heavy then you should not be able to train more than twice a week on those muscles, any more than that and you haven't been pushing yourself hard enough. Pros are a slightly different topic but for your average gym go-er (I do all my exercises at home at don't use the gym) twice a week on your preferred muscles (I am guessing biceps/lats/pecs) is enough.

quote]

Totally agree with that comment - 2-3 times a week at most.
You should only train each muscle group once a week i.e. chest, back, biceps etc. once a week - any more and you are wasting your time.
Good post btw
Old 14 February 2008, 10:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Guys ... anyone who thinks they can help please PM me.. too much information in the forum is basically going against what others are saying..
Old 14 February 2008, 10:27 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Pimmo are you just starting out mate?

I'm no seasoned lifter but i've done it long enough and researched it to know a bit.

seriously ask Kerry Kays on Ricky Hattons website he will answer normally within 48 hours - top bloke who really knows his stuff.

Put it one way he's forgotton more than i'll ever know.

If you want any pointers feel free to PM me
Old 14 February 2008, 10:32 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Not sure if he still comes on here but Glen (bbigman) is a hardcore bodybuilder who really knows his stuff and has given me some tips.

Extremeley helpful chap but like i said i dont know if he still comes on here
Old 14 February 2008, 10:48 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

You cannot put fat on by eating excess protein (sounds crap but its true) only through excess carbs and fats, what i mean by protein is clean protein, so it does not mean you can have a 32oz steak everynight as this will have a lot of fat in it.

Excess protein just gets disposed of as waste.

keep your protein intake high and clean i.e. Tuna, Skinless chicken breasts etc. and a protein shake which is low in carbs and with skimmed milk (or water) one after your workout and one before bed.

dont overtrain, train 2-3 times a week using basic heavy excercises.

No p***ing about chatting just get on with it and out of the gym i do an hour at the most.

seperate cardio from strength workouts, do on different days - although a warm up and cool down on a bike for 5 mins is fine just no strenuous stuff.

good luck
Best advise so far !!

Edit to add :
Change your routine every month (train same muscles but in a different way)

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 14 February 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 14 February 2008, 03:36 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys but you are wrong - pure protein and what i mean here is pure protein not fat is stored in the muscle - any excess is simply disposed of, KK will tell you this and years ago another champion bodybuilder who is well known in oldham told me as well.
Protein will only be stored in a muscle if there is a requirement for it to be stored.

Excess protein will be burnt by the body for energy, by breaking it down into amines to sugars plus nitrogen.

Nitrogen will be excreted in the urine.

Excess sugars (whether from carbs, fat or protein) will be used by your body to produce glycogen, glycogen is invariably converted into fat.

You will not generally **** or crap proteins. If there is protein in your urine then go and see your GP.

The reason high protein diets are useful for a cutting cycle is that the body uses a lot of energy to break it down to it's usable bits (ie sugars) and nitrogen is not utilised, so put simply (read unscientifically) you are more likely to put on weight from 300g of sugars as opposed to 300g of protein.

I know you bb, so you will know how much meat you need to get through to obtain 300g of protein (probably around 1.2kg of chicken breasts). - Compared to 300g of carbs, that's damn hard.

This is one of the reasons why high protein diets 'work'.
Old 14 February 2008, 04:02 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Varboy

The body burns protein 3 times as quick as carbohydrates. the way we break down carbs, fats and proteins differ.

I disagree with your comments, now i'm no scientist but have taken this info off various bodybuilders who have been in the game for years. and through my own diet and they tell me the same thing.

And i very much doubt Mr kayes is wrong.

Quick Reply: Body Building - Is anyone willing to help me.