Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me an Espresso Machine

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2008, 03:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me an Espresso Machine

Time to retire my aging pile of junk Russell Hobbs one that is god knows how many years old and requires a degree in chemistry and mechanics to achieve a decent cappuccino.

Seems like quite a few choices but I definetly want minimal hassle so bean to cup please. After browsing t'internet I must say I like the Krups XP7240 especially the size of it as dont want an industrial size device ala local Starbucks taking up half the kitchen.

So any real world feedback or recommendations in this area.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 24 January 2008, 04:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Nespresso.
Old 24 January 2008, 04:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Haven't used mine in ages as it isn't very good, so I'd steer clear. Trouble is it's so long I can't remember what make it is!
Old 24 January 2008, 04:59 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Krups or Gaggia would be my bet for "mid-range" machines.

My last two machines have been Krups, and I've been nothing but delighted with them - my new one, an XP4020 (£99.99) makes a great espresso, I can't see why the XP7240 wouldn't be very good, seeing as its 3 times the price! I honestly can't see you being disappointed with it.
Old 24 January 2008, 05:27 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Nespresso isn't an espresso machine.... it's a poor excuse for one.

I've got a Gaggia Classic - which has all the right bits - brass portafilter, brass head, solenoid valves, powerful enough pump (15 bar) and heater (1.4KW). They're the main points...

Some espresso machines have aluminium portafilters - which don't retain heat well enough (my brass one will survive being rinsed under a cold tap and still be hot to the touch) - and any self respecting Barista wouldn't touch them!

If I was looking to replace my Gaggia (which is used EVERY day and has worked faultlessly for 3 or 4 years now) I'd probably look for another Gaggia, or if my wallet stretched to it, a Jura.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted by something cheap - you get what you pay for and you really want to go for something that's at the top of what you could stretch to - rather than the minimum you can get away with that still looks like an espresso machine.

DN
Old 24 January 2008, 05:30 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Get the magimix l'espresso machine - 19 bar pump and a world better and cheaper than the gaggia. I was a gaggia fan for over 10 years and just bought this one and it's miles better!

Old 25 January 2008, 07:28 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
DN
Agreed. Tried a few of these pod/capsule types and they dont do anything for me tbh.

Simon
Old 25 January 2008, 07:40 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
Get the magimix l'espresso machine - 19 bar pump and a world better and cheaper than the gaggia. I was a gaggia fan for over 10 years and just bought this one and it's miles better!

Hmmm thats not a bean to cup machine though and Im really struggling to see how that is better than a Gaggia. Could you expand on what exactly makes it better in your opinion?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 25 January 2008, 08:45 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

We have a Gaggia Syncrony Compact Digital, love it. Doesn't take up much room in the Kitchen and produces perfect Coffee. If there is a complaint, maybe the water tank isn't big enough when you have guests, so if you entertain a lot, a larger machine may be more suitable.
Old 25 January 2008, 09:35 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

That Krups machine looks quite good from the specs, P1, nice size and a great price as well... many B2C machines are huge great things...

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it if you do take the plunge - I may not have to come up with 'Jura' money just yet....!!!

DN
Old 25 January 2008, 10:28 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

That Krups machine looks quite good from the specs, P1, nice size and a great price as well... many B2C machines are huge great things...

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it if you do take the plunge - I may not have to come up with 'Jura' money just yet....!!!

DN
Yes it certainly looks the biz. An italian guy at work bought his mum one for her birthday and she loves it. Also has a timer so you can set it to make a cup for when you get up.

I hate the hassle of putting in coffee for each cup, esp with the metal fillers that get very hot to touch and are a pain to clear out. So B2C looks ideal even if you do have to pay for it and this is supposedly the most compact one on the market (at least according to Krups).

Its £450 in most places. Cheapest Ive seen is £399.99 so will scour around for somewhere that has a sale on.

Simon
Old 25 January 2008, 10:41 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude

That's a nice looking machine I'm looking at buying one too and have been through all the Gaggias etc. I can't help but think that you're partly paying for the name/fashion/coolness factor etc with Gaggia. The Magimix you've posted here is a fantastic price and seems to be better specced and way cheaper than the equivalent Gaggia so I think you've just found me my perfect coffee machine. Thanks
Old 25 January 2008, 10:55 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Rubbish, they are the dogs. Probably better than most peoples home expresso machines because of their poor coffee storage.

Anyway, try them out in their boutique in Beauchamp Place in Knightsbridge, or Harrods, Selfridges etc. John Lewis stock them but I don't think they have them setup to sample.

Their online coffee ordering system is excellent too.

Most people who slate them have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 25 January 2008, 12:18 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Rubbish, they are the dogs. Probably better than most peoples home expresso machines because of their poor coffee storage.

Anyway, try them out in their boutique in Beauchamp Place in Knightsbridge, or Harrods, Selfridges etc. John Lewis stock them but I don't think they have them setup to sample.

Their online coffee ordering system is excellent too.

Most people who slate them have no idea what they are talking about.
I tried Nespresso and that Phillips one (Senseo I think) alebit some time ago and personally thought they tasted very synthetic. Maybe things have moved on as I now see quite a few of the decent coffee makers do pods now like illy and lavazza. Can you use any pod in any pod machine?

Simon
Old 25 January 2008, 12:22 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I agree, have also used Nespresso and Senseo and they are dire
Old 25 January 2008, 12:28 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

We've had a krups orchestro btc for 8 years + now. It's used daily and has probably a gazillion cups on the clock. We had to replace the brew unit a couple of years ago ( about £100 incl labour ) otherwise it's been faultless.

The 'modern' equivalent appears to be the XP7240

XP7240 Compact Espresseria - Espresso's - Krups UK -
Old 25 January 2008, 02:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I tried Nespresso and that Phillips one (Senseo I think) alebit some time ago and personally thought they tasted very synthetic. Maybe things have moved on as I now see quite a few of the decent coffee makers do pods now like illy and lavazza. Can you use any pod in any pod machine?

Simon
No, they are all different, and mostly crap - apart from the Nespresso system which uses capsules.

The beans are roasted and then ground in a vacuum environment and sealed in the capsule, technically the only way you'll get fresher is to roast and grind your own beans - which I'm not going to do at 7am.

I can have an expresso that is better than the majority of UK coffee shops within a minute.

Downsides are you are restricted to Nespresso brand capsules and they are comparably expensive (0.23p per cup)

Nespresso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nespresso™: the Art of Espresso. An exclusive Espresso Machine Range & 12 Coffee Premium Blends

Most people who criticise the system have never really tried them or are getting it confused with cheaper ones.

I understand that real coffee enthusiasts will tell the difference and be able to make better coffee at home, but to describe Nespresso as dire is pretty ill-informed.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:13 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Default La Pavoni

We've been using this machine for over 8 years now and it has been faultless.

Espresso tastes as good as a Costa.

http://www.lapavoni.com/model.asp?line=domestic&id=55

You can also take pride in owning a machine from the company that invented espresso machines.

"La Pavoni Spa was founded in Milan in 1905 thanks to Desiderio Pavoni in a little workshop at Via Parini. His first invention was patented by Luigi Bezzera, on 1st September 1902, duly registered at the Milan State office on 19th September 1903, and gave life to the first espresso coffee machine for bar called "Ideale"."

Mike
Old 25 January 2008, 11:02 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I understand that real coffee enthusiasts will tell the difference and be able to make better coffee at home, but to describe Nespresso as dire is pretty ill-informed.
I would like to think, given the level of discussion on this thread and the (comparative) expense of the machines we're talking about, the people on this thread know a decent amount about coffee.

If not, the oiks should run off back to instant and leave the real coffee to those who appreciate it
Old 18 February 2008, 01:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

No, they are all different, and mostly crap - apart from the Nespresso system which uses capsules.

The beans are roasted and then ground in a vacuum environment and sealed in the capsule, technically the only way you'll get fresher is to roast and grind your own beans - which I'm not going to do at 7am.

I can have an expresso that is better than the majority of UK coffee shops within a minute.

Downsides are you are restricted to Nespresso brand capsules and they are comparably expensive (0.23p per cup)

Nespresso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nespresso™: the Art of Espresso. An exclusive Espresso Machine Range & 12 Coffee Premium Blends

Most people who criticise the system have never really tried them or are getting it confused with cheaper ones.

Was revisiting this one as still havent made a purchase. My original question about Nespresso was whether the capsules are limited to the Nespresso brand albeit several coffee types. That to me is a poor selling point for someone who likes to drink illy coffee. At least with the ESE pods you can buy from several reputable coffee manufacturers and also use any espresso ground coffee you like if pods arent for you.

Simon
Old 18 February 2008, 02:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bialetti mokka express - no messing
Old 18 February 2008, 04:14 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Jura Z5

Includes programmable buttons for you to set temperature, volume etc etc to suit your own preferences / cups...

A few people have mentioned Jura - all depends how much coffee you drink and how much you like it as to whether it's worth it...
Old 18 February 2008, 04:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember- too much coffee can kill you
Old 18 February 2008, 04:28 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

And if its too strong and you have too much, you'll get the squits (laxative effect) and go for a pee every 10 mins (diuretic).

I can say none of the machines endorsed by Nescafe, Kenco or made by de longhi will be any good.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:44 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ok after blowing my espresso machine budget on a new PC and also rethinking how much use Id get out of a £400 BTC machine I took the more sensible option and went for the Krups XP4020. Pretty impressed so far as creates a great espresso with an excellent layer of crema and heats up really quickly.

Im tempted to buy some of the illy ESE pods to try for comparison against the standard illy ground espresso I currently use from the tin. Anyone know where you can buy these? I see them online but Im not paying p&p on something that costs £4.50 normally.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 20 February 2008, 09:53 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
And if its too strong and you have too much, you'll get the squits (laxative effect) and go for a pee every 10 mins (diuretic).

I can say none of the machines endorsed by Nescafe, Kenco or made by de longhi will be any good.
Why not - surely your not inferring that the name Nescafe isnt synonymous with quality coffee ?

Simon
Old 20 February 2008, 10:04 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Can you chaps recommend a machine that will make various types of coffee?

Sub £100 if possible.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:12 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Can you chaps recommend a machine that will make various types of coffee?

Sub £100 if possible.
a Kettle?
Old 20 February 2008, 10:41 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

I have a very basic Gaggia (classic?) and a Nespresso. I think Nespresso is pretty good as a compromise although my Dad thinks it is awful.

Nespresso is easily the best choice for convenience and no mess when in a hurry. Consistent too. Easily the best £100 or so 'espresso' machine.

The dark purple, black and grey capsules are the best. The rest are pretty awful to me.

PS:
Do not even bother with Tassimo. Klix machine for the home!

Last edited by AlexJReid; 20 February 2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:45 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Terrible stuff for you. Stick to some nice cool tap water.

Quick Reply: Recommend me an Espresso Machine