Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Block or Timber Frame

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 11:09 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block or Timber Frame

Mods can you leave this here for now please ? Just looking some opinions.

Hi there,

I am in the process of finalising plans for my new house, one of the things i wanted to look at was what peoples opinions were with building timber frame or building with block.

I can see the benefits of cost & speed with the timber frame built i like the aspect of a more solid built & sound proofed (ish) block built house.

What are peoples opinions on this & why ?

Also as it stands i havent consulted an architect yet due to the build being at initial planning stage & the build not being anything major in terms of design.

Thanks for your time.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:15 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Timber frame is warmer, quicker, more enviromentally sustainable etc etc. I prefer block so that you can use power tolls to hang pictures
Old 23 January 2008, 11:16 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ex sparky point of view, timber all the way personally Though blocks are much beter built. Depends on the amount of £££££ you want to spend
Old 23 January 2008, 11:18 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Dot & dab has also been mentioned for the plasterboard, this i am not keen on i would prefer it like a stud partition.
Old 23 January 2008, 11:28 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Dot & dab has also been mentioned for the plasterboard, this i am not keen on i would prefer it like a stud partition.

I had the shell of this house done in 5inch blocks internal, cavity with insulation, and then the outer skin.... i didn't want dot n dab either, so i had it rendered and skimmed.,....

the stumbling block in your plan will be insulation.... thats the very reason why a lot of new homes are timber framed these days...... i though prefer blocks, they're more solid, and will inevitably last longer....!!
Old 23 January 2008, 11:31 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RON
I had the shell of this house done in 5inch blocks internal, cavity with insulation, and then the outer skin.... i didn't want dot n dab either, so i had it rendered and skimmed.,....

the stumbling block in your plan will be insulation.... thats the very reason why a lot of new homes are timber framed these days...... i though prefer blocks, they're more solid, and will inevitably last longer....!!
Ron, i think thats what i am getting at with the insulation. It might take some room width away to a certain extent but the site could cope with that ie make build slightly bigger to compensate.

Thanks
Old 23 January 2008, 11:35 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

For me personaly in this nice wet country we live in:

wood = shed
bricks/blocks = house

Old 24 January 2008, 07:39 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

personally i would go for blocks. you can add pretty much anything to the outside and make it look like a timber framed house with some exterior cladding if you prefer.
block work is a lot more solid especially for hanging things inside the house like big tv's etc.

you can use a gypliner system to line the internal walls rather than rendering and skimming. it will be easier to achieve a straight wall this way. only downside is that the gypliner system does stand off the wall a little. so any thing standing or being supported against the wall may need plywood behind it to support things. although you can do this tight against the wall and fix straight into the blockwork.

after sounding like an anorak i am going back to building my current job.

have fun, but if you need any info on anything i have pretty much everything.
Old 24 January 2008, 12:15 PM
s700by t
Scooby Regular

I am currently working on a block of 20 flat made from internal timber frame(sips panels) the build program has been much quicker than traditional /imo i would prefer it but i work for a major uk company with lots of office based help ie architechs planners surveyors etc/ so for a home build i would deffinatly use traditional ie bricks blocks etc. oh and dont be scared of dot and dab it is a good time saving exercise over just plaster.
Old 24 January 2008, 12:55 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i do the same, as above.

timber framed is quicker although i would say if it was my own place i would go for traditional bricks and blocks just for peace of mind. may take longer to build but its a lot more sturdy and resilient to weather than most other things, especially with the extreme weather we seem to be getting a lot of now.

as for dot and dabbing, a decent dabber should be able to make a very good job of it no problem.
just make sure whoever is designing it for you listens thoroughly to what you want.

i want to do this one day so will be interested to hear how you get on.
Old 24 January 2008, 01:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I'd probably go hybrid. Block for the first floor so the joists of the first floor sit on block and then timber frame the second floor.
Old 24 January 2008, 01:55 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'd probably go hybrid. Block for the first floor so the joists of the first floor sit on block and then timber frame the second floor.
Modern building methods have doubtlessly improved, however, our house which is around 150 years old was built using this method and I'm not that impressed by it as the place shakes even when the front door is closed with moderate force. If the hound takes a running leap up the staircase you start reaching for the insurance policy!
Old 24 January 2008, 02:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Modern building methods have doubtlessly improved, however, our house which is around 150 years old was built using this method and I'm not that impressed by it as the place shakes even when the front door is closed with moderate force. If the hound takes a running leap up the staircase you start reaching for the insurance policy!
My last house was new when I bought it about 13 years ago and that was like that, slam the front door and the whole house shook and that was brick built!

The house I am in now is a 100+ year old miners cottage and it's as tough as old boots, as they say, they don't make them like they used to!!

The big issue really is that people in this country have traditionally used brick and so people aren't exploring other methods. Wood construction is common enough in other parts of Europe, the US and Canada and if it can cope with the Canadian winters, I'm sure it can cope in the UK.
Old 24 January 2008, 03:42 PM
s700by t
Scooby Regular

[ Wood construction is common enough in other parts of Europe, the US and Canada and if it can cope with the Canadian winters, I'm sure it can cope in the UK.[/QUOTE]

not completly true mate did you see what happened in the states last year with the hurricanes etc

Last edited by s700by t; 24 January 2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: different opinion
Old 24 January 2008, 03:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s700by t
[ Wood construction is common enough in other parts of Europe, the US and Canada and if it can cope with the Canadian winters, I'm sure it can cope in the UK.
not completly true mate did you see what happened in the states last year with the hurricanes etc
Did you see what happened to the brick houses in Birmingham last year when hit by a tornado? No normal house is going to cope with extremes of weather, just look at all the problems in Twekesbury at the moment and last year.
Old 24 January 2008, 05:28 PM
HowardG
Scooby Regular

Brick & block, with wet plaster inside. Try fitting a kitchen to stud walls!

Try not to use ultra light weight blocks (Celcon solar, Thermalite turbo I think) as they are almost all air and won't hold a decent fixing, and they shrink and crack like mad.

Having said the above, a timber frame with all walls lined internally with plywood then plasterboard would give great strength and be good for fixings.

Howard
Old 24 January 2008, 09:51 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Not on the farm any more mate?
Old 24 January 2008, 10:12 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

block
Old 24 January 2008, 10:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PG
Not on the farm any more mate?
Move out next Friday. Sold it. Ended up single "again" so was too much to keep going myself.
Got a cracking 1900's sandstone villa in need of major work, so going to build a house on the land while staying in the villa & renovating that at the same time Its all go mate.