Parking ticket whilst getting visitor voucher

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 05:56 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking ticket whilst getting visitor voucher

One for the townies - I'll keep it brief as its very boring

Basically missus got a £50 ticket in going to her mates house to get the visitor parking voucher she'd made sure to have ready for her visit.

She was gone under 5 mins, but there was a ticket on the car when she got back to stick on the scratched and completed voucher.

Been Googling and there is a provision for 'reasonable time' here http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals....mForest%20.pdf
so I hope I can get them to kill this ticket when I write. Its absurdly unfair.

Any knowledge/precedents here? It's Newham council - hope they are lovely reasonable people

Cheers

D
Old 23 January 2008, 06:55 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

If it's a private parking company, just throw it in the bin, it's merely an invoice and "unenforceable"

Hope this helps
Andy

edit. see it's not private company, but the website is very very helpful
Old 23 January 2008, 06:59 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Cheers - just need to see the rules suggesting 'reasonable time' in this voucher context really; I'll try the Pepsters. D
Old 23 January 2008, 07:36 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure the traffic warden has to stand for 5 minutes by the car before writing a ticket - think I saw it on one of those undercover TV shows
Old 23 January 2008, 08:11 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichardS2005
I'm pretty sure the traffic warden has to stand for 5 minutes by the car before writing a ticket - think I saw it on one of those undercover TV shows
Depends on the area. Some are meant to, some are not. If its writing a ticket, then it is up to the warden if they obey this. If its a computer terminal thing then some have this timer built in so that a warden "cannot" issue quicker.

I say "cannot", as some speculatively enter registrations of target vehicles from a great distance. Then when they actually get to the car the 5 mins is up and the ticket is immediately issued. If you complain, they then hide behind the fact that their equipment makes them stand there for 5 mins before it allows them to issue to make you look even more guilty.

Humans are a nice species aren't we?
Old 23 January 2008, 08:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Oh, in answer to the OP, appeal.

By advised that the first appeal that is heard is heard by the council themselves. So you are basically asking the council to overturn the decision made by a council employed operative that profits the council.

Should the appeal not be successful then the issue is heard in court in front of an impartial judge. I'll let you guess which is likely to be the most successful.

Fight it if you think you are in the right, then complain to the media if you win. Nothing like making a council look petty, does them no end of favours come election time
Old 23 January 2008, 08:27 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Appeal you have nothing to lose Before Christmas I forked out £1.80 for a ticket only the machine printed out a blank ticket. I put the ticket and a note explaining in the window, yet the parking **** still took glee in issuing a fixed penalty and pointing at the "valid parking ticket" part of the sign

quick trip to the council ranting like a mad un and sorted
Old 23 January 2008, 09:32 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I also claimed one from Edinburgh council. Had to submit the evidence to them but they overturned it "on this occasion"

Ye gets nothing if ye don't ask!

5t.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:05 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Cheers - worth a letter mentioning allowing reasonable time and giiving the voucher purchase receipt number. Common sense then dicates the voucher would be used - after all we know they pounce quickly, but not this bl00dy quickly. I expect I'll get stiffed though - power corrupts, then add cash to the mix
Old 23 January 2008, 10:14 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Slightly different I know, but I've just been stung for "speeding" in a school zone (Australia). $636 fine plus 8 points on my license. Normally the highway is rated at 60kph, but during school days, it's rated at 40kph at certain times. The only problem is, there is no way the motorist can tell, while driving, if it is actually a school day, only that the zone is there and the times it applies.

Last edited by Klaatu; 23 January 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 24 January 2008, 07:02 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

is it council or private?

if private - just ingnore it.
Old 24 January 2008, 08:05 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

council ones are meant to stand with the car for 10 mins then take digital photographs
Old 24 January 2008, 08:15 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
council ones are meant to stand with the car for 10 mins then take digital photographs
Like **** they do. They are there and gone within a minute.
Old 24 January 2008, 09:34 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I did say they are *meant* to
Old 24 January 2008, 10:04 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Make sure you pay it though and claim it back later.
Old 24 January 2008, 10:12 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I often wonder what's going through the heads of these people who "were only there for a minute" etc.
Do they know they're taking a gamble by not paying on a P&D or by parking on the yellow line(s) or not?

If they know theyre taking that gamble, then whether they're there for 30 seconds or an hour they have to take the fine that may follow on the chin.

There cant be so much as a squirm to avoid it because as the door was locked and they walked away they knew it was a naughty no no.

On the flip side, there are the ones who genuinely didnt know they were parking illegally. But then, that isnt a flip side either, because whether they knew or not, they are still parked illegally and have to pay the fine too.

Then there are the ones who DO pay the P&D but when the time runs out turn up 3 mins late and moan about getting a ticket...

... The ONLY parking tickets that should ever be challenged are where the car is parked legally and has still received a ticket... Some wardens try this on and photographs etc will see that ticket thrown out... If this is what happened then I wish you luck
HTH
Old 24 January 2008, 10:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If my Mrs says she called in to see a friend for "just 5 mins" what she actually means is completely different.

She had a 10 min catch-up on the latest gossip, a bite to eat, a trip to the loo and gave some advice on the sick cat before before rushing off saying "must dash - I'm parked on a yellow" dl
Old 24 January 2008, 01:40 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I often wonder what's going through the heads of these people who "were only there for a minute" etc.
Do they know they're taking a gamble by not paying on a P&D or by parking on the yellow line(s) or not?

If they know theyre taking that gamble, then whether they're there for 30 seconds or an hour they have to take the fine that may follow on the chin.

There cant be so much as a squirm to avoid it because as the door was locked and they walked away they knew it was a naughty no no.

On the flip side, there are the ones who genuinely didnt know they were parking illegally. But then, that isnt a flip side either, because whether they knew or not, they are still parked illegally and have to pay the fine too.

Then there are the ones who DO pay the P&D but when the time runs out turn up 3 mins late and moan about getting a ticket...

... The ONLY parking tickets that should ever be challenged are where the car is parked legally and has still received a ticket... Some wardens try this on and photographs etc will see that ticket thrown out... If this is what happened then I wish you luck
HTH
You sound less reasonable than cowboy clampers mate. I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier link - the judge was far more reasonable than you! Ever though of a career in local government? Lets make it hell for them out there

D
Old 24 January 2008, 02:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Sorry fella - I dont mean to come over all ar$ey but I always think that way when folk get caught.

One motto I was brought up on which applied when I was going playing out was "Be careful and whatever you do, dont get caught"... The principle was simple - because I knew I would be for it if I was caught doing something bad... So I didnt do too many bad things and only got caught a few times, but I learned to accept that if you do anything naughty then you run the risk of getting caught, and be it a slapped behind as a child, or a parking / speeding ticket as an adult you have to deal with the consequences, not run off to mummy or pepipoo if you feel hard done by.
Old 24 January 2008, 03:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

There's a lot in what you say, but I think this people trying to wriggle out is quite a recent thing, and often prompted by the sledgehammer cash driven approach.

It wouldnt be a decent society without the rules (if I had a parking ticket machine I'd have issued 4 yesterday to twits parked on the pavement), but once in a while they can be out of order. I paid my last parking ticket without a quibble for being a muppet

D
Old 24 January 2008, 06:04 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
The ones around here take ages writing the tickets, looking around and then take photos of the car. I've never had a problem with them as I park on our drive but the council did get shirty with new neighbours just moving in - how can you have a utility bill for a property you moved into that day for a parking permit . We gave them some of our visitor passes and they gave us replacements when they were deemed resident.

Five minutes does seem a bit excessive in time to get voucher and back out to car again though - I generally have the voucher almost ready by the door ready for the visitor to knock and get it straight out there.
Old 24 January 2008, 06:51 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Make sure you pay it though and claim it back later.
Which planet are you from? The moment you pay is the moment you admit the offence and lose ANY right to appeal.

The correct procedure is to respond to the ticket within the time limit setting out your intention to appeal. The time at which you respond sets the amount of the fine should you lose. Respond quickly and you have the right to appeal with the full discounted rate of the ticket should you end up losing (if you go to court and lose you may have to pay some costs..take advice before you do that if you are worried).
Old 24 January 2008, 07:44 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Nice one Diesel. it's probably why sometimes when people appear to be trying to wriggle in threads on here I can come across as a holier than thou bastad. It's not really what I am trying to achieve... I speed and sometimes park like a wazzock. Today I threw it onto double yellows to nip into a corner shop... I was only in there 3 mins, but had I have been ticketed, I would have cursed my luck and sent off the cheque tomorrow morning. No quibble.

Wriggling is endemic in this society - all part of the "not my fault" logic which is at the heart of societies problems today... It's that "always someone elses fault" ethos that I think is systemic of bad parenting which is the root of so many other problems in society...

Like you say, once in a while they can be out of order, and those issues should be challenged.

P
Old 24 January 2008, 07:57 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Nice one Diesel. it's probably why sometimes when people appear to be trying to wriggle in threads on here I can come across as a holier than thou bastad. It's not really what I am trying to achieve... I speed and sometimes park like a wazzock. Today I threw it onto double yellows to nip into a corner shop... I was only in there 3 mins, but had I have been ticketed, I would have cursed my luck and sent off the cheque tomorrow morning. No quibble.

Wriggling is endemic in this society - all part of the "not my fault" logic which is at the heart of societies problems today... It's that "always someone elses fault" ethos that I think is systemic of bad parenting which is the root of so many other problems in society...

Like you say, once in a while they can be out of order, and those issues should be challenged.

P
Yeah agree mate. There used to be the 'its a fair cop' thing said by those chancing their luck or being had 'bang to rights'. Hearing it less and less these days...even on Eastenders

D
Old 24 January 2008, 08:16 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Five minutes does seem a bit excessive in time to get voucher and back out to car again though - I generally have the voucher almost ready by the door ready for the visitor to knock and get it straight out there.
Sounds like you are a 'townie' SB? Used to these things? Know exactly what to do and how to evade persecution? Well we are not, sorry - jus' simple country folke that had already arranged to get the 'voucher' thingy

Consider a 40" walk to the house, 25" to open the door, a not outrageous 50" to say 'lovely to see you babe, now lets get the vouchers out", what do we have to do, where's the pen, check the rules again; have we done it right, good, back out to the car... under 5 mins doesnt seem to be the dregs of society taking the pii type stuff does it? Esp when all the luggage is still in the car, and no Disklocks etc are applied etc?

I'm gonna leave this now as it is starting to look petty over a petty thing. It would however be great if motorists could stick together a little more in the face of the fact that the authorities think that we all all dodgy/slippery characters out to 'do' them out of their filthy lucre. God knows ordinary decent citizens get treated with contempt, disdain clobbered and milked for all we are worth as much as is possible already.

Letter has gone off (specifying voucher No, receipt No, time and date and place of purchase); I'll post what the outcome was (and the letter) whatever the result. Would you ever turn down a freebie £50 though

D
Old 17 February 2008, 07:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Would you ever turn down a freebie £50 though D
And the answer was.....no way....I must have been barking to even try! They stated the attendant left exactly 5 mins from seeing the car to putting ticket on. You cant argue with these professionals' scientific precision

D
Old 17 February 2008, 10:29 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

Pay the fine and claim it back off the council in petty theft and vandilism, how much would it cost to remove a 4ft high drawing of a ***** from a bus stop?
Old 17 February 2008, 10:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

5 minutes to get parkin voucher / visitor as far as i know - brighton area
Old 17 February 2008, 10:51 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be a country bumpkin.. but visitors vouchers? Do you live in a prison or something?
Old 17 February 2008, 10:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Prasius
Sorry to be a country bumpkin.. but visitors vouchers? Do you live in a prison or something?
Thats correct only the 'privileged ' are allowed visiting rights

Quick Reply: Parking ticket whilst getting visitor voucher