Extra Bank Holiday? - Sign the Petition

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2008, 03:28 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Extra Bank Holiday? - Sign the Petition

I was sent this via email:

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year. To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it's got three aims:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain

2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for

3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

If you agree to the idea (and who wouldn’t agree to an extra day off? J), please sign up to the petition - it doesn't take long - and it would be great if you were to forward the link to other people as well. If you are not interested, just hit the delete key. This is not just about another bank holiday, but more importantly about having a designated day to remember all those people that sacrificed their lives for our freedom.

THIS IS A NOTEABLE PETITION THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAVE ASKED FOR PLEASE SIGN IF YOU WANT AN EXTRA BANK HOLIDAY.
Petition to: create a new public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance Sunday.
Old 21 January 2008, 03:43 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

nope, one less paid day in the year
Old 21 January 2008, 03:47 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why on earth would they bother setting up a petition asking the entire country if they'd like an extra day off every year when surely they know that 99% of the population are gonna jump at the chance
Old 21 January 2008, 03:49 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it's got three aims:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain
Isn't that what rememberance Sunday is all about?
2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for
Isn;t this just another way of putting point 1.?

Anyway.. As Above.
3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.
Aha!!! - Now we get to the truth of it
Old 21 January 2008, 03:58 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just what I was thinking...

A lot of Bank Holidays are inclusive in peoples holiday quota already so won't get them more hoilday. Lots of people will lose business as they don't work they don't get paid. And what a lame excuse to get more holiday than to lay claim to remembrance. On the face of it, it's in poor taste TBH. Remembrance Sunday is exactly that, a day of remembrance.

This is the only reason...

To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries

I pressed delete and nothing happened
Old 21 January 2008, 04:38 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Grumpy old sods
Old 21 January 2008, 04:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Why is it that the creators of these online petitions invariably seem to have all the reasoning, logic, and mental capacity of a cheese and onion crisp?

I would potentially sign some of these things but I can't bring myself to put my name to such drivel.

"Bank holiday rememberance day to reinforce Rememberance Sunday"

Brilliant.

I often find myself thinking "What's rememberance Sunday all about again? I can't remember."

Were we to have a rememberance Monday as well I am sure I would never again forget what Rememberance Sunday was for.

Last edited by PeteBrant; 21 January 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 21 January 2008, 05:03 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

If i can get an extra days holiday for free, i'll sign it.

I do however, allways take the time to remember our war heroes on Remembrance Sunday and i agree that this is just an excuse to get a day off
Old 21 January 2008, 05:42 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Would rather have St Georges day as a bank holiday tbh.

Signed anyway
Old 22 January 2008, 09:13 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by renny
Would rather have St Georges day as a bank holiday tbh.

Signed anyway
good point. remeber though that flying the St George's Cross would have you branded as racist
Old 22 January 2008, 09:42 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

If we are to have an extra one, it HAS to be St Georges day. Whether he was a dragon slayer from Pakistan or a sooth sayer from an Ewok village, he is Englands patron saint. Other patron saints are bank holidays for other countries...
If we are to have another, let it be St Georges day in April and give one of the May day or Easter bank hols to "Rememberence Monday" in November...
Old 22 January 2008, 05:49 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
If we are to have an extra one, it HAS to be St Georges day. Whether he was a dragon slayer from Pakistan or a sooth sayer from an Ewok village, he is Englands patron saint. Other patron saints are bank holidays for other countries...
If we are to have another, let it be St Georges day in April and give one of the May day or Easter bank hols to "Rememberence Monday" in November...
I've always said i'd be prepared to give up May Day and have it allocated it to St Georges day.

Unfortuneately i think it's too far gone and we'll NEVER have it as a bank holiday.The pc brigade would never allow it