Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

3 days for newbies - ski or board?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2008, 09:50 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 3 days for newbies - ski or board?

Just finalising a short break to the Spanish mountains with the in-laws. 3 days snow, 3 days city centre. Turns out they've never skiied before. Both mid-30s, he's pretty fit she's a bit more interested in clothes and make-up but is on her feet all day at work. It's their first time, I'd like them to enjoy it. What do you reckon in that short time, skiing or boarding?

I reckon boarding as it has a faster learning curve, but I think there may be some really bruised *****. I don't know whether to recommend the epileptic and arguing 6ft planks on the feet, where you at least have the possibility to stand up and relax, or the constant kneeling/ cold ****, sprained wrists and possible broken coccyx

(Another thing is, I don't know what language the instructors will speak - should be another challenge!)

Ta for your thoughts.
Old 12 January 2008, 10:07 PM
Matt_Davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha Ha . . .Tough Choice

Agreed boarding has a faster learning curve, But with them being a bit older (*runs and Hides) at least skiing allows them to bruise all of the body rather than just the ****, which when your learning to board gets very painful falling directly in the same place every time! Wrists break very easy boarding too . . .

I'd say skiing dude, like you say at least they'll be able to stand up and move around an I think the falling over in ski's hurts less cos you can fall a bit more freely. If she s generally not very sporty I think she ll struggle to cope with her feet strapped in a board . . .lifts are harder on a board too

Edited to say - He'll struggle too

Hope this helps,

Matt

Last edited by Matt_Davies; 12 January 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Cos im sexist and think women cant do sport
Old 12 January 2008, 10:13 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Personnally i recon that ski's are a much more efficient way of getting about on a mountain (ie not constantly undoing/tightening clips), but boards are much more fun (and the boots are miles more comfy too ) plus you look much cooler too

If it were me, id advise skiing tho, a i think they'd at least get a few decent runs in on an easy slope, rather than falling on there *** for 3 days

Tough one tho, im sure you'll all have a great time either way tho
Old 12 January 2008, 10:18 PM
Matt_Davies
Scooby Regular

2-0 for Skiing then
Old 12 January 2008, 10:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Dunno.
Either way get up there beginning of the day ; i got there bit late last time ( driving from Almeria ) and the pitch would have better suited Torvil an Dean - pretty bloody exciting on a snowboard i can tell you

Last edited by dpb; 12 January 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12 January 2008, 11:09 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

its a long time since skis were 6ft!!!! -- although I am a skier, if its only 3 days, i would try boarding - the theory being that u can learn more on a board in 3 days than on skis.........

alan
Old 12 January 2008, 11:45 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot about the lifts - very relevant point
Old 13 January 2008, 11:45 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skiing, if over 30 you look a **** in pants that hang round your ****, wacky hats and camo jackets, learning to shout Rad, Sick and Awesome every time you leave the snow by over an inch would take too long as well.