Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Audio & TV solutions for the kitchen, advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2008, 11:47 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio & TV solutions for the kitchen, advice please!

Right you lot, I know it's a subject that has been done before on here in one way or another but I can't find the info I need hence a new thread.

I spend my life in the kitchen (chained to the sink ) and want to watch telly and listen to my MP3s from the PC which is next to where the telly will go on the wall. At the moment I listen to music from the PC via a pair of Logitech PC speakers and sub which isn't a brilliant sound and doesn't really fill the space of the kitchen.

I've decided that a 32" LCD is the way to go and am currently battling my way through the minefield of tellies on the market

I want a pair of speakers and a sub, however I'll never watch DVDs in the kitchen so don't feel that a DVD player is necessary although this may be handy for plugging into the PC so that I can play my MP3s direct from iTunes - I think!

I've been looking at all these media streaming devices, wired and wireless and now my head is a mess of gadgets and gizmos and I don't know what I want any more

So in summary what I want is
  • 32" wall mounted telly
  • Decent pair of speakers and a sub
  • Gizmo to play sound from telly & PC via above speakers & sub
What do you fine lot recommend as an all round solution?

Cheers

Sal
Old 12 January 2008, 12:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Your PC has DVD drive ?
So you can play DVD's on it !
A decent spec TV will have audio outputs, so you only need a lead to hook up your chosen 2.1 speaker system.
PC has audio outputs that need connecting to the TV !
Alot of TV's have a 15 pin PC compatible video input as standard !

HTH

DunxC

I fancied a 37" Samsung, no stock, Toshiba, no stock, Panasonic, no stock....
Sony 40" £1300 faint !
Old 12 January 2008, 12:26 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Women shouldnt be allowed audio & video especially in the kitchen, they should be concentrating on their duties

I couldnt even fit a 7" screen in my kitchen, its a big house but a small kitchen
Old 12 January 2008, 01:21 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I do my duties far better when I'm listening to music or watching the telly. Anyway someone has to set the Sky+ series link for all Bob's favourite programmes. He moans like hell if I fail to spot and record a programme that he may have wanted to watch, it's a high pressure job I can tell you

Having spent hours looking at products on the internet it looks like my easist option is just to buy a 32" telly and matching DVD/surround sound 5.1 system despite not needing five speakers

I'm still open to suggestions though...
Old 12 January 2008, 01:30 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I do my duties far better when I'm listening to music or watching the telly. Anyway someone has to set the Sky+ series link for all Bob's favourite programmes. He moans like hell if I fail to spot and record a programme that he may have wanted to watch, it's a high pressure job I can tell you

Having spent hours looking at products on the internet it looks like my easist option is just to buy a 32" telly and matching DVD/surround sound 5.1 system despite not needing five speakers

I'm still open to suggestions though...
Get Bob to plus his own stuff, after all , its 'idiot-proof'
Old 12 January 2008, 01:34 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

It's my job apparently
Old 12 January 2008, 01:37 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

It's my job apparently
Would it be sexist of me to say I wouldnt trust my missus to set stuff for me on my plus's?

Old 12 January 2008, 01:45 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 12 January 2008, 03:29 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I'd rate these speaker for you kitchen

JBL Creature II CREATUREIIREDU

The satellites are really small and 'feminie' and the sub looks like darth vaders helmet to keep your bloke happy. They're really loud for the size too.

If your mp3's are on you pc you will need to get something to stream them to the kitchen, like this:

Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 Black Wireless Network Music Streamer -USB data cables memory cards mobile phone ipod accessories genuine cover case fascia speakers bluetoth battery dvd media external hard drive

HTH
Old 12 January 2008, 03:39 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks Scotty. The JBL system is similar to what I already have and was one I looked at when I bought my current sub and speakers.

I want a much bigger, better sound. The kitchen is very large and I have my office in a corner of it so that's where the PC is. Wiring isn't an issue because we're going to refit it all sooner or later anyway so chasing out into the wall doesn't matter.

My biggest worry is buying a speaker & amp or DVD set-up that isn't compatible with the PC. I've looking at a home cinema 5.1 box that has a USB connection, however my friend (Hi Lee ) who has this same set-up can't get the USB to work with her laptop so she's used a twin phono to jack lead instead.

If I could afford it I'd just go to a Bose shop and buy everything they had but I can't as we've far too much work to do on the house first
Old 12 January 2008, 04:09 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I use this. A picture-framed Sony TFT, linked to an Avermedia box (has all the connections plus freeview/sky etc) connected to a little Hitachi DAB HiFi (can also plug in the Ipod)

Only had it all at Xmas, so I'm still plumbing it in

Can also connect XBox etc to for the kids if need be

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 12 January 2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: edited to say that our kitchen is about 6m x 8m :)
Old 12 January 2008, 06:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As Dunx says above, your PC will (should) have stereo phono audio outputs, as will any TV you buy. Any active sub/sat system will produce the sound, it's just how much sound you want, and how good you want it. As a recommendation....CLICKY with CLICKY or CLICKY or WHATEVER. If you connect your PC to the TV via DVI to HDMI then you will have Hi-Def video content too and be able to utilize the PC's DVD drive (assuming it has one). A TV card will also allow it to be used as a PVR and of course there's downloadable torrents for the latest snide movies, and net surfing too.

Edited to add, just realised the Wharfedale Picture Frame speakers aren't active, but you could just add any cheap stereo amp for £20^

Last edited by corradoboy; 12 January 2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12 January 2008, 10:55 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I went for a 43" Pioneer in the kitchen and used my old 5.1 Sony amp with BOSE AM15 speakers. The Pioneer has a PC input so it seemed rude not to buy a cheap PC and use that for music etc.

I recently bought a Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard which is awesome - it's got a touchpad thingy for a mouse control, is rechargeable and looks sooooo sexy.

All the kit for the kitchen & the lounge (which is behind the TV in the kitchen) is in one of the kitchen cupboards -
Old 12 January 2008, 11:17 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

just finished putting a 32" tv on the wall in lounge. i also bought a philips lounge pc (all hooked up to my network and streaming 450 odd albums plus recorded tv etc from the server pc in the study)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0004.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0005.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0083.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0124.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0121.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0134.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0227.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0224.jpg
Old 12 January 2008, 11:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Richard, is it just me or do those links not work I tried to view them on the other telly thread too Is the 'b3...e' bit in the link correct ?
Old 12 January 2008, 11:32 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Richard, I was just going to offer you a job, to set up my sound system in the kitchen, until I looked a the unviewable links
Old 13 January 2008, 12:13 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

43" tv in the kitchen - well im staggered
Old 13 January 2008, 09:05 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

d'oh
no idea what happened there, so i'll try again...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0004.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0005.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0083.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0124.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0121.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0134.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0227.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/DSCF0224.jpg

hopefully they'll work ok...
Old 13 January 2008, 10:02 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

They work

Thanks for all the pics and help, it's great looking at other people's set ups I ordered a TV, DVD player & surround sound last night. The DVD player has a PC input and also a USB connection so I can hook that up to the PC. I really want to get a wireless media streamer eventually but that can wait until we upgrade the TV and audio in the lounge

The most surprising thing is that I've kept to my original budget Still, there has to be a first time for everything
Old 13 January 2008, 05:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Right you lot, I know it's a subject that has been done before on here in one way or another but I can't find the info I need hence a new thread.

I spend my life in the kitchen (chained to the sink ) and want to watch telly and listen to my MP3s from the PC which is next to where the telly will go on the wall. At the moment I listen to music from the PC via a pair of Logitech PC speakers and sub which isn't a brilliant sound and doesn't really fill the space of the kitchen.

I've decided that a 32" LCD is the way to go and am currently battling my way through the minefield of tellies on the market

I want a pair of speakers and a sub, however I'll never watch DVDs in the kitchen so don't feel that a DVD player is necessary although this may be handy for plugging into the PC so that I can play my MP3s direct from iTunes - I think!

I've been looking at all these media streaming devices, wired and wireless and now my head is a mess of gadgets and gizmos and I don't know what I want any more

So in summary what I want is
  • 32" wall mounted telly
  • Decent pair of speakers and a sub
  • Gizmo to play sound from telly & PC via above speakers & sub
What do you fine lot recommend as an all round solution?

Cheers

Sal
wow you must be mega-rich to be able to fit a 32" tv in your kitchen, never mind buy one for a kitchen

anywho, i got this 32" samsung from currys (sorry pete), for £499 on sale on boxing day. excellent tv with a contrast thingy of 8000:1 if that means anything to you. ready for the huuurd too

Old 13 January 2008, 06:25 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
wow you must be mega-rich to be able to fit a 32" tv in your kitchen, never mind buy one for a kitchen
No, sadly not It's just a big kitchen and I seem to spend most of my time in there (it's a wimmins thing ). Actually neither of us have sat in the lounge since last weekend, it's less far to go to the fridge for beer and snacks

I calculated the distance from the chairs to the wall and did some complicated sums () using a formula I found on the internet, the upshot of which was that we needed a 32" TV for optimum viewing.

I searched around all over the place and got some really good prices so it's not cost too much either
Old 13 January 2008, 07:58 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

They work

Thanks for all the pics and help, it's great looking at other people's set ups I ordered a TV, DVD player & surround sound last night. The DVD player has a PC input and also a USB connection so I can hook that up to the PC. I really want to get a wireless media streamer eventually but that can wait until we upgrade the TV and audio in the lounge

The most surprising thing is that I've kept to my original budget Still, there has to be a first time for everything

Women seem to have a nose for bargains.