Cycle trainers

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 11:37 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycle trainers

Hi

What's the craic with cycle trainers then?

I have an MTB and I'm interested in using it on a cycle trainer. I've never used one before, is there anything I need to look for, can I use them with knobbly tyres, do I need anything to attach the bike to the trainer?

Ta

PS, have been looking here Trainers | Cycle | Wiggle - The UK's #1 Online Bike & Cycle Shop
Old 09 January 2008, 08:31 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Turbo trainers are more road orientated but should work fine with a MTB, it would be worth checking though that it can accept the smaller MTB wheels. I would definitely get a smooth slick tyre and a hard wearing one at that, turbos eat tyres for breakfast..

Another option is a set of rollers, again I'd swap the tyres, but it wont eat them, and also requires more concentration/balance....

Tacx EcoTrack T1025 Training Rollers for £55.99 | Tacx Trainers | Cycle | Wiggle
Old 09 January 2008, 08:35 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, if you buy one, will you be posting your dyno graphs from it?

Seriously, I'm a litle put off as I ride my bike outside and it gets really filthy. If I was to buy a trainer I would want to use it indoors but then I don't want a filthy bike indoors and I don't want to buy a bike just to use indoors....
Old 09 January 2008, 08:55 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I've had 2 and sold them both, just didn't enjoy using them
yes, you need a slick, which can be a pain if using a single bike
and you get very hot when there's no wind, so you'll need a fan! And a tv...
Old 09 January 2008, 09:00 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Suggest you buy a good set of lights and just get out and ride your bike....

You will get bored senseless with a cycle trainer and overheat as pwhittle mentioned
Old 09 January 2008, 09:18 AM
Scoobydiid
Scooby Regular

I have an MTB for fun, thrills .....and exercise, your going to be losing the first two, so I'd rather do something else. As has been said before get a waterproof and some decent lights and get out in the woods. I prefer night riding to day on an MTB, and a bit of mud never killed anyone!
The only time I ever tried a trainer was when getting fitted for my road bike and it is boring and you sweat like a ba$tard, even with a fan!
Old 09 January 2008, 09:18 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

You can get ones especially for mountain bikes that are driven off the rim instead of the tyre.

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2008, 09:44 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Hmm, hadn't thought about the dyno graph idea, I was thinking more of hooking it up to the mains via a generator and getting some use out of Sal, will post up my reduced leccy bill instead!

Thanks for your input everyone, I'll give some more thought to going outside! I spose I should really, I've got the Yorkshire Dales to go at!
Old 09 January 2008, 10:48 AM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)

I have a Tacx trainer that I used with my mountain bike for winter training. I now do a 20 mile singlespeed commute through London so don't use it any more.

The wheel is held in place with a special quick release that replaces your normal one. You will need a slick tyre (I had a spare wheel with one on) as a knobbly tyre will slip as soon as you put any pressure on the cranks.

You have to be really committed to using it as said above they are VERY boring and you will sweat buckets so really needs to be done in a garage.

I had a TV set up in the garage and the steam that used to come off me in a cold garage was amazing

Phil