Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blu ray or hd? oh **** it have both

Samsung Debuts Slimmed-Down Combo HD Player : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech
Old 09 January 2008, 10:19 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

I think Blu Ray will win this one now that Warner Bros have also gone Blu Ray exclusively: BBC NEWS | Technology | Warner backs Sony Blu-ray format

I was surprised by this as I would have thought Microsoft would have plowed bags loads of money into HD to pursuade all the big studios to back them, but perhaps Blu Ray is simply better, it can hold more data for a start.

Id save my money and get a blu ray player, although that is a seriously nice unit and does upscaling as well (dammit, I just bought an upscaling Panasonic!! should have saved my money and got this)

It's worth waiting a few months, I believe Blu Ray will win out given recent events, and then all the manufacturers will start producing Blu ray players and prices will drop (except Toshiba, who will go down with their HD ship).
Old 09 January 2008, 10:57 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i back HD-DVD as it is the better format and has set specific standards for itself but it actually likelyhood Blu-ray will win this fight! Until Blu-ray standardise there machines and format I will not be buying a blu-ray player.
Old 09 January 2008, 11:30 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
personally i back HD-DVD as it is the better format and has set specific standards for itself but it actually likelyhood Blu-ray will win this fight! Until Blu-ray standardise there machines and format I will not be buying a blu-ray player.
Is this another VHS beats Betamax story?

Will we see the return of the video store spilt into two!
Old 09 January 2008, 11:32 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The format war is effectviely over. BluRay it is.
Old 09 January 2008, 12:07 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

It is another VHS vs Betamax story, and Blu Ray has managed to pretty much become the VHS of the two.

There are still things to work out, and Toshiba (one of the largest embracers of HD) are remaining positive on the outside, but Blu ray will take it.

It wont be long before all the standards will be sorted out and it'll become the new standard.

Good excuse to get a PS3 I guess.
Old 09 January 2008, 12:08 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Only a mug would invest in this uncertain technology

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2008, 12:20 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Only a luddite would reject it
Old 09 January 2008, 12:32 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Not rejecting, I'll just wait until the technology is a bit more mature.

....and 50% of the cost.
Old 09 January 2008, 12:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Again only my opinion but i think it is a daft idea to buy a PS3 for watching Blu-ray movies and my reason behind it is......It doesn't support the new audio formats apart from PCM to me makes no sense as the biggest improvement from SD-DVD and HD content is not the picture but infact the audio performance! Even my HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox sounds better than the PS3 as it at least outputs the HD audio sources at DTS which is a huge setup from Dolby Digital.

I actually can't think of any reason why Blu-ray should succeed over HD-DVD but the fact is it has!
Old 09 January 2008, 12:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They are all doomed, who is going to mess about buying disks if you can download a HD quality film for the same or less, enviromentally its a winner, less landfill generated by no plastic being required (once the infrastructure is in), nobody making 2 round trips to the video shop. Obviously there will always be some form of portable media but I think its going to a back seat over the next ten years, look how Youtube took off and thats mainly videos of American teenagers hurting themselves.
Old 09 January 2008, 12:51 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

LG GGC-H20L (Blu-ray/HD DVD Combo Drive) :: Articles :: www.hardwarezone.com®
Old 09 January 2008, 01:46 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

The Times"...the final nails in the coffin of Toshiba’s HD DVD standard..."

"Backers of HD DVD point to the relative ease of producing the discs and the lower cost of building machines capable of reading them. Unlike previous format wars, particularly the Betamax v VHS skirmish in the 1980s, the Blu-ray v HD DVD war effectively has been decided in board-rooms, rather than in electronics showrooms."
Old 09 January 2008, 02:13 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
the Blu-ray v HD DVD war effectively has been decided in board-rooms, rather than in electronics showrooms."
Well, that and the fact that BluRay discs are outselling HD-DVD by 3:1
Old 09 January 2008, 02:23 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Jacko has a point, the future is downloadable movies, and Microsoft have already begun moving towards this with IPTV.

That way you can download an HD movie/TV program and play it from the hard disk, much better than buying disks of any sort.

I didnt realise PS3 didnt play many of the sound formats, Ill wait till the battle is well and truly over and some good Blu Ray players are available, and then buy.
Old 09 January 2008, 02:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Jacko has a point, the future is downloadable movies, and Microsoft have already begun moving towards this with IPTV.

That way you can download an HD movie/TV program and play it from the hard disk, much better than buying disks of any sort.
At some point, maybe, but in the near future? Not a chance. Even Music downloads, which are far far more wide spread than video download only represent 30% of music purchases.

People like to have the item in thier hands for something they want to buy - It just built into us.

Downloadable movies maybe a offered service, but it is year, probably decades away form being the "norm"

Until then, BluRay will do just fine.
Originally Posted by SideShowBob

I didnt realise PS3 didnt play many of the sound formats, Ill wait till the battle is well and truly over and some good Blu Ray players are available, and then buy.

The battle is over HD-DVD is dead as dead - And PS3 does play the formats, it just converts some to PCM, and yes it supports DTS. Other formats will be supported by firmware updates.

At the end of the day - does it give you quality surround sound? Yes.
Old 09 January 2008, 03:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

it cannot convert anything to PCM as PCM is an uncompressed audio which some but not all Blu-ray disks use. As for outputting other HD formats to DTS it does not as of yet do this.