Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help me get fit. ( Home Gym )

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 01:52 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get fit. ( Home Gym )

have tried going to different gyms and to be honest i dont tend to last more than a month the reason i think for this. Is they are just too far away from my house. I have decided to try and work out from home hopefully this can be done.

I dont have a lot of equipment at the moment but would be interested in what you think i should buy.
This is what i have

50 Kg of weights ( I no this is not a lot but i need to start somewhere i think i should really buy another 50kg so i have a 100kg
Bench

Exercise bike

A 75 Gym Ball

I currently weigh just under 15st and i am 6ft. Ideally i would like to tone up and try and make my beer gut smaller and get a bigger upper body and arms,
I have cleaned my diet up from what it was and i will try and improve this more.

My problem is i have seen some many different exercises and routines i dont no which one i should be doing with this lot of equipment could someone please recommend me one.

Also i live near a big park so could go running if needed to do or cycling. What other equipment should i buy.

Any other ideas or tips would help me thanks.
Old 08 January 2008, 03:07 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

For toning up the equation is simple, burn more calories than you consume, do cardio (cycle/run/swim) of at least 40 mins three times a week, and eat well using the 5 small meals a day meal plan.

You wont get a bigger upper body and arms doing this, because to increase your muslce size you'd need to consume more calories than normal, but what you can do is work your arms/chest/back so that as the weight comes off they are more defined.

Definition requires less calories and more cardio, building muscle requires more calories (and lots of protein) and lots of pushing weights.

Have a look at bulking and cutting if you intend to get into it seriously, but Id say for the average person who wants to trim up and have some muscle show you just do a combo of both and dont worry about building muscle specifically.

You'll need a bench, some bars (ez and straight), dumbells, and weights, you can use the bench in combination with some dumbells (ranging from 8kg's to 40 kg's if you can find some like that) so you can do dumbbell rows for your back, tricep extensions kneeling on the bench, chest flys, and if you get a bench that can be adjusted for angle you can do incline chest press, and sit down to do dumbell bicep curls.

With that you can also hit your shoulders doing shoulder press, use the ez bar for curls and also shoulder raises, and use the dumbells for shoulder flys, you can pretty much come up with a routine covering all your muscle groups, only thing lacking really will be lat pulldowns, but buy a pull up bar and use that.

Id say do weights three times a week and cardio three times a week, make sure cardio lasts that 40 mins as the first 30 mins you dont really burn anything. Eat as well as possible but dont go crazy as I find if im too strict I go off the rails every now and again, just a good balance is good, little and often.

The key is doing it for a long period of time and accepting that there are no quick solutions, set yourself goals and keep yourself motivated.

My aim for the next 4 months is also to lsoe some weight, have to lose the gut especially!! I went all out on weights, bulking like mad, and then stopped dead for 4 weeks, and now it turned to fat and I have to start over, bloody mission.
Old 08 January 2008, 03:34 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Post Edited due to commercial content.

Please contact Webmaster@scoobynet.com to discuss advertising options.

Last edited by NAF; 08 January 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08 January 2008, 03:49 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
have tried going to different gyms and to be honest i dont tend to last more than a month the reason i think for this. Is they are just too far away from my house. I have decided to try and work out from home hopefully this can be done.

I dont have a lot of equipment at the moment but would be interested in what you think i should buy.
How much room do you have?

Best versatility per square foot I have found is a power rack, adjustable bench , olympic bar and some oly discs.

With this, you can do all the core strength exercises (weightlifting wise) that you would ever need to do.

Couple that with a ex-gym exercise bike of ebay and you have a real great setup.
Old 08 January 2008, 04:20 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Post Edited due to commercial content.
I thought that's a bit harsh. Was going to sort him out with distributor prices too. Ho hum
Old 08 January 2008, 04:40 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

well I had a peek, good site
Old 08 January 2008, 06:47 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
For toning up the equation is simple, burn more calories than you consume, do cardio (cycle/run/swim) of at least 40 mins three times a week, and eat well using the 5 small meals a day meal plan.

You wont get a bigger upper body and arms doing this, because to increase your muslce size you'd need to consume more calories than normal, but what you can do is work your arms/chest/back so that as the weight comes off they are more defined.

Definition requires less calories and more cardio, building muscle requires more calories (and lots of protein) and lots of pushing weights.
yep v good advice, i lost 3 stone doing just this since june

Disagree with bulking and cutting though, naturally the body can only put on a few pounds of muscle per month, if your bulking then you are increasing you body fat as well as supplying enough energy for muscle growth. then with cutting, although you are then reducing your body fat again you are also going to waste muscle as you will be in a calorie deficit

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2008, 08:40 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
yep v good advice, i lost 3 stone doing just this since june

Disagree with bulking and cutting though, naturally the body can only put on a few pounds of muscle per month, if your bulking then you are increasing you body fat as well as supplying enough energy for muscle growth. then with cutting, although you are then reducing your body fat again you are also going to waste muscle as you will be in a calorie deficit
Thats not strictly true Jay, i've been back at the gym for about 10 weeks now after being a right lazy s**t. i have gotten stronger yet lost 2 stone and maintained my muscle mass, you dont have to cannabolize (sorry 'bout the spelling) your muscle mass - eat loads of clean protein i.e. skinless chicken breasts and you shoudl hang onto what you have.