Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car been written off - buy it back?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2008, 10:22 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car been written off - buy it back?

Hi guys,

Just some advice required please. I have a 97 Peugeot 406 that was hit up the backside a couple of weeks ago (a few days after spending out to get a new MOT - failed on a bush, thats all, repaired then passed) and now I've been told the car is a write off (due to it's age and value at a guess), the car still drives absolutely fine so it seems the damage is mainly cosmetic with the boot failing to close, rear bumper buggered, and the boot floor raised up with some creases down the rear wings before the rear doors which still open and close without a problem (drivers side arch looks like its been pushed forward slightly at the back). I've been offered £1200 as a first offer today and £120 to buy it back to repair myself. What do you think is the best thing to do? I think the offer is pretty good, was expecting a figure nearer £600 to be honest! My dad thinks the damage is repairable quite easily, even if it's not the car is good for spares and would fetch more than the £120 buy back price.

Also, once repaired, what do I need to do to get it back on the road again? new MOT and anything else?

I don't really want to go through the hassle of looking for another car at the moment as I'm possibly heading off travelling at the end of this year so it would be good to get that car back on the road.

Cheers
James
Old 07 January 2008, 10:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Will need an sva test
Old 07 January 2008, 10:47 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't bother.

A proper fix will cost too much. A cheap fix will cause problems (bet you get water leaks through the back, rear end handling could be affected etc.). If the boot floor is raised and boot won't shut then it's not what I'd call "cosmetic" damage.

If it were simply a case of a replacement rear bumper and lights then yes but as I read your description I'd take the opportunity to have fun looking for a replacement car. You've got £1200 in your pockey so go have fun shopping for cars
Old 08 January 2008, 09:26 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

its not a sva its a vic and thats if they cat c the car

personally i wouldnt bother unless you can just bolt on a sec hand back bumper to didy it and drive it, certainly wouldnt want to be pulling it or removing dents in quarters. wasnt of time on a car thats worth nothing
Old 08 January 2008, 12:39 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

If you buy it back for £120, assuming its in ok condition apart from the damage, i would bet it would make a lot more than £120 on ebay sold as salvage or for parts.

To go on the road, it will need a VIC check, which is just a check of chassis and engine numbers to prove it hasnt been "ringed" and I think it will need a new MOT again.
Old 08 January 2008, 01:12 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If the offers good, like you say, then buy it back for sure.
Assuming from the age/value, that it is a cat c write off as mentioned, then the MOT is void, and will need a new one, and a VIC test, also mentioned.
I'd do it.
Old 08 January 2008, 02:25 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, like I say, I don't really want to have to go looking for a new car when I know mine is reliable and pretty repairable, of course I would love a new car but if I'm possibly leaving the country for a year or so in September then I don't see the point (and I only do about 3000 miles a year at the moment, student, hah! ).

Spoke to the guys that MOT'd the car and he said he would buy it back as the engine is worth more than the £120 buy back price and other bits could be sold if I decided not to repair. The guy said the VIC test was a total waste of time apparently, they dont check the quality of the repairs at all!! Seems strange to me really.

Cheers
James

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2008, 02:29 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its CAT D you can just drive it as long as its road-worthy.. If its CAT C you'll need to check with the DVLA.. last time i bought a CAT C car it just needed a new MOT.

I wouldnt bother buying it back to repair it, its more agro than its worth, the car will be worth pittance now its recorded its only worth money if you break it up..
Old 08 January 2008, 05:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As others have said, if its a bolt on repair then all well and good. There was a time it might even have been worth a tug against a gatepost too, but not now.