Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD-Audio

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2002, 08:46 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

New format, very few discs available at the moment, but I noticed one of my *fave* bands had released in this format.

Arrived via a mate in the states yesterday ($18).

Dual sided disc, DD5.1 and 2 channel stereo on one side, DD6.1 on the other. All tracks recorded at 96khz.

Quite frankly it is superb, the same album in CD format sounds 'thin' in comparison.

The only place I have found to buy them in the UK is http://www.vivante.co.uk/Site/Home.html. Well worth getting one if you have the home cinema kit to play them - if only for comparison. I am very impressed

Cheers
SteveM

PS:If anyone knows any more sites I'd be well interested.
Old 17 January 2002, 07:25 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

glad to hear u enjoyed it - I've been waiting for the DVD-A market to mature before doing my home theater dollars and it's difficult reading reviews of the format 'cos they seem to confuse DVD, CD and Audio.

I'd be interested to know what equipment you are using and is the equipment rated to take advantage of the higher quality DVD-A recordings (including the speakers which are supposed to have to handle a wider sound spectrum)?

refer to the info from the vivante site as below;

If you want to experience the surround sound music found on many DVD-Audio discs, you will need a surround sound system capable of handling a DVD-Audio player's audio output. Current DVD-Audio players require a surround sound receiver or preamplifier with six discreet analog inputs, each corresponding to the various channels in the surround sound field (LF, CTR, RF, LR, RR, LFE).

If you own a home theater receiver, preamplifier or decoder that doesn't have six discreet analog inputs, you will not be able to hear the uncompressed high-quality surround sound audio. You will still be able to hear the stereo audio as well as any Dolby Digital surround sound music on the DVD-Audio disc.

Surround sound music frequently uses the rear surround sound channels in a way that is different from movie soundtracks. If you have small rear speakers or speakers that are not matched sonically to your front mains and center speaker, you may want to upgrade them so all of your speakers are matched sonically.

And if you want to hear the best quality possible from your DVD-Audio disc, you may want to consider upgrading your home theater system to new components that are specially designed to reproduce the incredible fidelity found in the high-resolution output from DVD-Audio discs.

regards

[Edited by philc - 1/17/2002 7:31:49 AM]
Old 17 January 2002, 08:05 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I'm using my home cinema system . The amp is a Demon AVR3300 linked to a pioneer DV-515 with optical lead for audio ( & co-ax for video, but that's not important ). Mission speakers 775e fronts, 77c1 centre and 77ds rears, no sub. Biwired fronts, quality cables throughout.

It is worth picking a disc up 'just to see' - if there is anything out already that you will listen to now.

There is a world of difference :-)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 17 January 2002, 08:13 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

thanx for the info ...