Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dodgy dealer advice

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2002, 04:52 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mate of mine bought a Nissan 200SX from a trader last week and has had a few problems with it.

I would point out that he bought the car there and then for cash after seeing it at 9pm!

Anyway, he's had it checked out by a mechanic and it turns out that the ABS system is not working (although the warning light was on when he tested the car!!!) and the exhaust is leaking at the back of the engine. Either the manifold or turbo casing is cracked.

He has spoken to Trading Standards who have advised him to write to him asking for him to repair the car. If he does not respond within 7 days he should get the work done and claim the dosh from him in the Small Claims Court.

Anyone know if this will work or alternatively what can he do?

Cheers

Bas
Old 16 January 2002, 04:59 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

What did he sign as part of the deal?
Old 16 January 2002, 05:02 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Signed an invoice showing details of the car but Trading Standards have told him that that makes no difference

I should point out that the car was advertised with ABS and none of the problems were highlighted at all.

Bas
Old 16 January 2002, 05:33 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

He's entitled to a car that functions properly as can be expected of a (however old) Nissan 200SX. If there were no "terms" on the back of the invoice that might apply or affect the sale, then the non-performing ABS and leaky exhaust sound like they are problems that you would not expect. It's different if they were pointed out to him by the dealer and he still went ahead. The fact that the ABS warning light was on when he test-drove the car sounds a little worrying. Did he ask why it was on? What was he told? Subject to that, the bottom line is that he would be entitled to compensation representing the cost of putting right the defects ie putting him in the position he would have been in had the dealer sold him a "proper" car. He should get estimates from two garages and present them to the dealer. No joy, try the small Claims Court.
Old 16 January 2002, 05:55 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

The thing is, the brakes work ( I assume ) but not the ABS ( which he was aware of ).

So, as far as the ABS is concerned, he may be on a sticky wicket as ABS isn't a necessary feature of a car (just ask 22B owners..)

Not that I know anything, but that's my take.
Old 16 January 2002, 06:00 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

Sure it aint the ABS fuse/relay?
Old 16 January 2002, 06:22 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

seejay555

None of the faults were pointed out to him and he didn't ask about the ABS warning light!

David

That was my view aswell but I'm not sure what the law says as the advert stated that the car has ABS

Keep it coming guys

Bas
Old 16 January 2002, 06:26 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

You're probably right Bas.. thing is justice and the law are two completely different things.

Had the ABS light been disconnected to hide the fact that it didn't work, then fair enough..

Your mate didn't know the exhaust was broken until after he bought it, but he did know the ABS was knacked and bought it knowing that.

Don't get me wrong, not on the attack, just playing devils avacado