Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding Police

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2007, 08:21 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Police

On the way home tonight I followed a Astra police car onto the motorway slip road. As soon as we got onto the motorway he started pulling away from me at quite a rate of knots.

I accelerated a bit more but he disappeared into the distance doing easily 3 figures

Surely without sirens / lights on, they have to respect the same laws we do?
Old 10 December 2007, 08:26 PM
Mo_Patrick
Scooby Regular

Yes i thought the same, thought they had to be sounding the blues and twos if speeding??
Old 10 December 2007, 08:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelro
On the way home tonight I followed a Astra police car onto the motorway slip road. As soon as we got onto the motorway he started pulling away from me at quite a rate of knots.

I accelerated a bit more but he disappeared into the distance doing easily 3 figures

Surely without sirens / lights on, they have to respect the same laws we do?
Yes they have to, but in reality they dont and brush the speeding tickets under the carpet
Old 10 December 2007, 08:34 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

cops are corrupt..... they speed when they feel like, pull anyone and some are just not made for the job.
Old 10 December 2007, 08:37 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

No requirement for emergency equipment to be on whilst using their powers to exceed the speed limit. As an example, if they were following a car ahead then they might want to keep a lower profile before lighting up.

However, although in the "good old days" the BiB used to use the system to their advantage these days things are somewhat different. Most response cars will have a GPS system fitted and they are being used more and more.

In the last couple of years there has been a big crack down on police drivers who are caught speeding with no excuse. The booking out process for a police car is now much more reliable and although I cant say that each force is the same many are now very strict and gone are the days of going and grabbing some keys and scribbling in the log book.
Old 10 December 2007, 10:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by billythekid
In the last couple of years there has been a big crack down on police drivers who are caught speeding with no excuse. The booking out process for a police car is now much more reliable and although I cant say that each force is the same many are now very strict and gone are the days of going and grabbing some keys and scribbling in the log book.
yeh, right

mb
Old 11 December 2007, 10:17 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

You see the bit where I said "not every force is the same"....
Old 11 December 2007, 11:52 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

All coppers are tw@ts imo!!!!
Old 11 December 2007, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I believe they are entitled to exceed the limits without the noise etc. if they are on a call which might require a stealthy approach to catch the villains. Not much point in alerting them so they can get away.

Les
Old 11 December 2007, 03:26 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Had a funny encounter once. Starting off from a traffic light in London, a cop on a bike just infront of me and a clear road infront of us for miles with a 40mph limit.

So he goes on to accelerate pretty quick to around 60, while im following him quite closely for about 3 minutes or so untill he looks in the mirror and sees me behind him

Pulls in the right hand lane (yep, we were going in the left hand lane of a 3 lane carriageway ), slows down and gets behind me ( not quite safe eh ) turns on his siren and pulls me over.

Cop - Can i see your license please ?
Me - Sure
Cop - Do you know what the speed limit here is sir ?
Me - No idea, i was just following a police officer.
Cop - Why would you do that ?
Me - Because i assumed that a police officer should be following a speed limit to set an example to the rest of the motorists, sir.
Cop - And what if i was on a mission ?
Me - Then you are obliged to turn your sirens on and drive with them.
*After a couple of seconds of silence while he was looking on my license deep in thought*
Cop - Do you know what the word assume means ?
Me - Yes Sir, it means to guess or take for granted something without knowing the truth.
Cop - No, it means making an *** out of you and me.

Now at this point i got quite confused, told him that he knows better and will try not to assume anything anymore.
He told me to be careful next time and after getting on his bike, sped off into the distance..

So not only are they corrupt, they are also arrogant and stupid; and those sort of people who you trust to help you find criminals and culprits ? I dont think so...
Old 11 December 2007, 05:55 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by serega
So not only are they corrupt, they are also arrogant and stupid;

In the example you gave he was right and you were wrong - he is not obliged to use lights and siren for every occasion, just when the situation warrants it. Yor assumption was flawed, he wins. Unless you are thinking of another example you haven't told us about? And in the quoted case, his arrogance appears several steps behind yours.

M
Old 11 December 2007, 06:01 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
In the example you gave he was right and you were wrong - he is not obliged to use lights and siren for every occasion, just when the situation warrants it. Yor assumption was flawed, he wins. Unless you are thinking of another example you haven't told us about? And in the quoted case, his arrogance appears several steps behind yours.

M
I disagree, why was the copper doing 20 over the limit, and he wasnt on a job cos he had time to pull the driver over!!!!!! this is an example of why coppers are tw@ts

The day i personally meet a decent copper i will change my tune!!!!!!
Old 11 December 2007, 09:10 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've met a few cops and to be fair maybe one or two have been *****..

They tend "touch wood" to just check my car isnt stolen and then leave me be.