Travel Info - The Bavarian Alpine Strasse

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2007, 12:43 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Info - The Bavarian Alpine Strasse

Afternoon All

I am thinking next year of maybe taking a trip to the Bavarian Alpine Strasse to drive across to Berschgarten on the Austrian Border and see the Eagles Nest etc.

Has anyone on here done it or able to shed some further info on it?. So far i have only found one website and its link to the main site about the road doesnt work.

Any info would be great, with most of us lot on here being well travelled someone must have done it before.

Cheers
Dave
Old 08 December 2007, 02:37 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Not much to know really, just turn off before you get to Salzburg from Munich and drive up the mountain. You have to park the car at at checkpoint and then buses take you to the top (Eagles nest). Spectacular scenery.
Old 08 December 2007, 07:27 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There are some good roads round there but don't get your hopes up with the Eagles nest, it is nothing more than a restaurant on a hill and TBH not a particularly brilliant one at that. There is nothing **** there or anything to suggest it was ever ****. In German it is called Kehlsteinhaus and not the eagles nest so you will need to watch out for signs that say this.

You need to drive to a car park and then pay for a bus ticket as the only way up is by bus trip. The lift in the mountain up to the nest is pretty cool but all in all it is just an antique lift in a mountain.The view is spectacular though.

You can also head off into Berchtesgarten to the Salt mines if that floats your boat.

One other thing to be aware of is the possibilty that the hotel you stay in my not take credit cards and also they may not speak English either. For a tourist area it is not very touristy.

if you really want to go then drop Steve Whitehorn a PM as he is a tour guide for that place and can tell you shed loads about it and if you ask nicely may be able to meet up with you aswell.

HTH

Steve

Last edited by Wurzel; 08 December 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08 December 2007, 10:14 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I've heard the Women in München are rather tasty. Can you please confirm these reports
Old 09 December 2007, 11:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Hi Wurzel just pointed me to this thread.

I know the Obersalzburg like the back of my hand.
1. Most visitors miss what there is third reich related because it is tucked away away from the touristy documentation Center.

2. The top of the Mountain ´´The Eagles Nest ´´ will be closed this time of year due to snow and rock falls. Midway up the mountain will be open. `´The Obersalzburg´´will be accessable.

I am also the English speaking guy in Munich with the real on the ground knowelge on Third Recih sites (I have photo archived every Third Reich site in the Munich area)

I also work for the Barvarian state as an offical Dachau History guide.

So if you need any more info - fire away.
If you want a tour PM me. I tend to cater for people who are already very interested in this period of history.

If you want to know anything about Barvaria please ask

Cheers
Steve
I was wondering why the Germans kept saying that Dachau was not a death camp when it had cremation ovens there and I heard that people were marched off down the road to another spot to be executed. Wasn't that also where the three SOE girls were dreadfully tortured and murdered?

Les
Old 09 December 2007, 12:28 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I was wondering why the Germans kept saying that Dachau was not a death camp when it had cremation ovens there and I heard that people were marched off down the road to another spot to be executed. Wasn't that also where the three SOE girls were dreadfully tortured and murdered?

Les
Cremation ovens would still be required for the man who died "naturally" through diseases.
Old 09 December 2007, 11:04 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

If oyu are in or near Salzburg, definitely do the salt mine trip as mentioned above. Amazing! You whizz down on a wooden slide like kids in a playground and then float across underground lagoons of saline water in electric boats.

And if there are a number of you, you can do a "Sound of Music" bus tour and take the p*ss all the way - brilliant!!
Old 10 December 2007, 09:58 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

And yes the women in Munich are very tasty. It is a world hotspot! and I have a rather fine example sat next to me right now

Steve
Stuttgart has more than its fair share aswell

König Strasse in the summer for example, it is a real pain stepping over all the tongues and drool on the pavement if you get my meaning

Schloßplatz and Schl0ß Garten is another good one especially as it has a beer garden there aswell
Old 10 December 2007, 10:02 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info guys, had a busy weekend so only just managed to check this thread again.

it is something i want to see so will certainly head there during the summer. i have a big interest in WW2 so its something that would be nice to see and as for the nice scenery thats just a bonus. Doing a trip through europe again next year anyway so this can be picked up on the way back.

big thanks to steve for the information too, i am sure nearer the time i will be in touch to find out more.
Old 10 December 2007, 10:03 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

and the women factor could be a bonus too.
Old 10 December 2007, 12:02 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i have been few times around there, the scenery is stunning, and in the summer it is boliling hot,
throwing my hat in, i can recommend ..
innsbruck, v. nice and you can go on a ski jump.
sterzing vpioteno, just because you go over the brenner pass which isl ike the millau bridge.
krimml waterfalls is quite pretty as well.
we stayed here St Johann in Tirol- Ferienregion St. Johann in Tirol
the whole village is lovely, and there are always little festivals on.
Old 10 December 2007, 12:04 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

just to add one more thing,
we got cable cars up the local mountains most days, and had a slow meander down the paths back to the hotel., stopping at a few tiny bars on the way down.
Old 10 December 2007, 04:03 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Stuttgart has more than its fair share aswell

König Strasse in the summer for example, it is a real pain stepping over all the tongues and drool on the pavement if you get my meaning

Schloßplatz and Schl0ß Garten is another good one especially as it has a beer garden there aswell
I better visit you in the Summer then Steve
Old 10 December 2007, 04:32 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

I better visit you in the Summer then Steve
Indeed you should mate, indeed you should.

You should have been here for the World cup it was fannytastic