Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are you "done" if a warden doesn't put a parking ticket on your screen ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2007, 05:09 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you "done" if a warden doesn't put a parking ticket on your screen ?

Came back to my car to find a warden tapping out a ticket, must have just started. As I ran to my car he started typing like mad, I guess trying to finish it and slap it on my car.

I jumped in and drove off sharpish, no ticket on windscreen.

Am I safe?
Old 03 December 2007, 05:11 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Came back to my car to find a warden tapping out a ticket, must have just started. As I ran to my car he started typing like mad, I guess trying to finish it and slap it on my car.

Am I safe?

Nope.
Old 03 December 2007, 05:19 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

I disagree, in my experience you are.

chop
Old 03 December 2007, 05:25 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if you reversed over him to make sure
Old 03 December 2007, 05:25 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

You should be, but it depends on the honesty of the traffic warden... he may just say it was applied to your car
Old 03 December 2007, 05:27 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Doesn't it depend on the type of warden too?

Certainly the traffic wardens in Crawley are still Police operated and you can drive off before the ticket is issued. I have a suspicion different rules apply to Council ones.
Old 03 December 2007, 05:28 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He can say he put it on your car which kind of defies the rules because its your word against his.. I returned to my car and some warden was writing a ticket, i got in the car before it was on the screen, I went spastic at him! and drove off, the council got in contact with me about the ticket but luckilly I had a receipt from the shop I was just in which was next to the bay, it was timed a minute before the ticket and they have to give you 3 minutes grace period, so I sent a copy of it and said I only nipped in to collect something and the ****ers had to let me off
Old 03 December 2007, 05:28 PM
ghg
Scooby Regular

once a traffic warden has seen your car has no ticket, they HAVE to give you ten whole minutes to come to your vehicle and either put a ticket on the car or remove it, if they havent furbished you with a ticket then they havent issued one.

this came from a really helpful traffic warden just 2 weeks ago. (yes helpful!!)
Old 03 December 2007, 05:29 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

an honest traffic warden,dci thats one of the funniest youve come out with yet
Old 03 December 2007, 05:34 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Was it a Traffic Warden or one of the Council employed ones?
Old 03 December 2007, 05:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Dont they have to take a picture of the ticket on the windscreen now, have seen lots of them doing this also
Old 03 December 2007, 05:39 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

We have a system running that has every photo taken of ticketed cars, so yes they have to put the ticket on and have evidence.

Got to say, after having a look through some of the photo's you would not believe where some people park their cars!
Old 03 December 2007, 05:39 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Dont they have to take a picture of the ticket on the windscreen now, have seen lots of them doing this also
You would think so - I think it was a council ones not a "proper" traffic warden.
Old 03 December 2007, 05:41 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

What should you do if you go back to your illegally parked car and spot a traffic warden scribbling ominously? The answer seems to be jump right in and floor the accelerator, for yesterday a high court judge ruled that Transport for London could not later collect a fine from a motorist who had driven off before the warden could slap a ticket on his windscreen.
The landmark judgment applies only to London at present, but the ruling, by Mr Justice Calvert-Smith, could affect millions of motorists in the UK when planned legislation to extend the system of penalty notices by post nationwide becomes law.

Simeon Ademolake, a fashion designer and ward councillor in Newham for the Christian People's Alliance, got the £50 penalty fine notice after stopping on double red lines in Commercial Road, east London, in June 2005. He disputed the notice, sent through the post, and won his case at the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service after explaining that he told the warden "I'm driving away now" and no ticket was ever given to him or placed on his windscreen.
Transport for London, whose appeal in the case was turned down with the adjudicator agreeing with the original finding, took the case to the high court, where Mr Justice Calvert-Smith ruled that the two earlier decisions were correct.

The London Local Authorities Act 2000 states that if a warden tries to issue a ticket but is prevented by anyone from doing so, the authority may send a fixed penalty notice by post to the vehicle's owner.

The judge ruled that jotting down details about the car and driver, as the warden had done, did not amount to an "attempt" to issue a parking ticket.

Mr Ademolake, 43, from Newham, east London, said yesterday that he had stopped for five minutes and that only one tyre was on the double red lines. The warden told him to wait for the ticket but he did not. "The purpose is not really to clear the road," Mr Ademolake said. "It's to raise revenue. If the driver has driven off, is he still obstructing the road? No."

Ian Rogers, counsel for the traffic adjudicators, told the judge at an earlier hearing that his judgment would have wide importance because a bill due to be introduced soon would allow local authorities outside London to issue fixed penalty notices by post.

A TfL spokeswoman said: "Transport for London enforces the red routes where very short stoppages can cause congestion. If a driver stops, sees a warden and drives away the damage is already done."

The full story .... Judge backs motorist who drove away to avoid a parking ticket | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
Old 03 December 2007, 05:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Does this man that I can park on a yellow for up to ten minutes and definately not get done? Our village have just got some wardens which turn up a couple of days a week but I have no idea if they are police or council. Fair enough on the road I suppose but they now do you for forgetting to put your disc on the dash when you park in the Free Car Park. Just encourages locals to drive a mile to Tescos and sod the local shops. Well done Council
Old 03 December 2007, 05:57 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Am I safe?
Yes you are safe (assuming that this wasnt a Police-employed traffic warden). If the ticket isnt affixed to your car then it doesnt count. The warden can lie of course, and so can you, which is why most wardens are equipped with digital cameras now.....
Old 04 December 2007, 08:15 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Yes you are safe (assuming that this wasnt a Police-employed traffic warden). If the ticket isnt affixed to your car then it doesnt count. The warden can lie of course, and so can you, which is why most wardens are equipped with digital cameras now.....
Agreed, I drove off when a warden was writting me a ticket, she yelled (yes, YELLED) after me that I'd get it through the post. So I yelled back that it hadn't been issued and that I wouldn't.

I was right
Old 04 December 2007, 08:21 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Am I safe?
If you were parked illegally, here's hoping your for it

It gets on my nips that folk break the rules then bottle out of dealing with the consequences when they get caught...
Old 04 December 2007, 08:25 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

If you find a warden about to issue you a ticket, you should really think about why they are doing this. Sometimes the parking laws are a cynical attempt to raise money, but most of the time there is a reason for them. Say you park on a double yellow for 5 minutes, a queue of cars form and it takes me an extra 3 minutes to get past you. Why should I have to wait because you can't be arsed to find a proper space that isn't blocking the road?
Old 04 December 2007, 08:38 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

c'mon fast bloke, maybe in the past. most parking "indiscretions" that are ticketed are those parked in legitimate spaces that have overstayed their time, usually only slightly (and sometimes not at all).

Go to somewhere like Camden and say there's good reason for ticketing, there simply isn't, it's all about money raising and no hint of reason or discretion.
Old 04 December 2007, 08:47 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
If you find a warden about to issue you a ticket, you should really think about why they are doing this. Sometimes the parking laws are a cynical attempt to raise money, but most of the time there is a reason for them. Say you park on a double yellow for 5 minutes, a queue of cars form and it takes me an extra 3 minutes to get past you. Why should I have to wait because you can't be arsed to find a proper space that isn't blocking the road?
If the local councils hadn't removed all the refuges by bus stops, so that now buses block the roads up every time they stop, I'd agree that it may be about congestion. If congestion was the issue, they wouldn't be re-designing roads all over the place to increase congestion.
Old 04 December 2007, 09:04 AM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar

That's the case in Edinburgh anyway...
Old 04 December 2007, 09:26 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

Old 04 December 2007, 11:57 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

We got a ticket last week for parking in an incorrect bay and non display of a valid ticket, WTF. This was at a railway station.(Runcorn)

I have spoken to NCP this morning

Me:Check your records for my telephone payment for the parking

NCP: Ohh yes you did actually pay

Meoesnt yout attendant have access to who may have paid using the telephone service.

NCP: Err No

1 Down 1 to go.

2:Illegally parked

Me: How exactly ?

NCP: In the wrong type of bay.

Me: Please explain further.

NCP: Err we cant.

Me:Show me photographic evidence of the alledged offence.

NCP: Err we cant.

Me:Go **** then.

They have cancelled the ticket.

Last edited by ZIPPY; 04 December 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04 December 2007, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well done Zippy.

Les