Sky and phone lines

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2007, 06:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky and phone lines

Hi folks.

Friends of mine want to purchase Sky but they don't have a landline. Does anyone here know if Sky still insist on their box being connected to a landline for the first 12 months?

Surely more and more people are ditching landlines as they have mobiles that are as cheap if not moreso.

I know they could contact Skyand ask, but I was really thinking they would be better armed with as much info as possible before doing so?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02 December 2007, 09:32 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

sky require you to have a phone line for set up & yes your supposed to have it connected for 12 months...well I disconected mine as soon as the engineer left....

no problem
Old 02 December 2007, 10:24 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pnbond007
sky require you to have a phone line for set up & yes your supposed to have it connected for 12 months...well I disconected mine as soon as the engineer left....

no problem
you can now on both NORMAL sky AND Sky Plus have the option NOT to have a phoneline connected AT ALL it simply requires a one off payment of £25

tell them Hectic says so

Old 02 December 2007, 11:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
you can now on both NORMAL sky AND Sky Plus have the option NOT to have a phoneline connected AT ALL it simply requires a one off payment of £25

tell them Hectic says so

Cheers, that's just what I wanted to know.
Old 02 December 2007, 11:08 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

no problemo
Old 03 December 2007, 07:30 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

tell them Hectic says so

I have always been curious about this, why do they insist on the phone line, I know they can access the box in the advent of problems also updating your box, movies, fights etc, when my + box stopped communicating with the phone line all hell kicked off, threatening letters if I didn't plug it back in (it was all along the sky+ box just didn't recognise this), so I ended up losing multiroom as a result because although the secondary box was communicating with Sky no problem the primary unit wasn't and thus makes my secondary unit obsolete in their eyes and I just didn't want to be forced into paying an engineer £65 and cut my nose off to spite my face, a customer since day one, felt it was all a bit unfair, you know the usual moan about SKY lol

But in reality you say that if I were to have paid them £25 they would have left me alone with my slightly wonky Sky + and happily watching our multiroom, £25 is cheaper than £65, probably not an option at that time.

It does seem a little rich that they can insist you have a system plugged into the phone line and then offer you the chance to "opt out" as long as you pay them £25, is that not a contradiction and a blatant scam to nick another £25 ?? not looking to argue the point just interested in how and why they can do that.
Old 03 December 2007, 07:56 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Me m8 had Sky multiroom for years then he moved house, because hed changed adresses they said he had to have his box's connected to the phone line for another 12 months.

He had a right fart on with them because he didnt want to run telephone cables through walls of his brand new house.

Ended up telling them were to stick it and cancelled it.

There was nothing mentioned about paying £25 and being able to get away with it not being plugged in. That was only a couple of months ago.
Old 03 December 2007, 10:42 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

tell them Hectic says so

Since when? Sky told me it was mandatory when i had mine fitted into the new house a couple of months back.

Your mate would need a working phone line for broadband connection surely? Or is he back in the dark ages with no computer?

Last edited by Mitchy260; 03 December 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03 December 2007, 10:51 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

With multiroom, phone connection is compulsory for as long as you have multiroom. Each box has to be connected to the same phone number, its how sky check that each box is still in the same house. The £25 optout does not apply to multiroom, you can however as mentioned earlier pay this and not need the phone line connected. The phone line is only used (for normal subscription, HD, and sky +, NOT Multiroom) for interactive services and ordering films etc. Updating is done via satalite and does not use the phone line.
Old 03 December 2007, 10:57 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Since when? Sky told me it was mandatory when i had mine fitted into the new house a couple of months back.

Your mate would need a working phone line for broadband connection surely? Or is he back in the dark ages with no computer?
Not heard of cable then?............

Geezer
Old 03 December 2007, 11:25 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

As Geezer said he is on cable, smart answer though

It really is very simple. He doesn't want a landline as he has a mobile and hence no need to spend money on a landline. He has cable Internet but would rather get Sky than cable TV. Hence the question.
Old 03 December 2007, 11:33 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Phoneline is only mandatory if you have Sky multiroom

OR

If you sign up the to 12month INTERACTIVE DISCOUNT contract and its yet to expire.

I.e sign up for a "FREE" Sky box
If you don't sign up to the "free" box contract (i.e pay full fee for the box - or buy one on eBay ) or it's expired, the phone line is not needed.

Last edited by Shark Man; 03 December 2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03 December 2007, 11:35 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

You dont have to have a landline phone atall. we have sky and dont have a phone line. Mum also had her sky connected the other month with no phone line.
Old 03 December 2007, 11:41 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Mine was connected to the phone line for about 2 minutes when I first installed it. It caused the broadband to drop out so I disconnected it and it has been ever since.