Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bullet camera connecting power ? Ian ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 07:25 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having now solved the problem of AV In etc, i basically took my old one back and got a much better camera.

I was wondering how i can connect the Camera and Microphone (hmm wonder where that will go) say to the Cigarette Lighter or similar, as using 8 batteries is gonna cost a fortune.

Any one who has not used one, i can safely say they are bloomin
brilliant.

Ian i am sure you are the man to answer my question.

Oh big thanks to RF Concepts very helpful, would recommend.

Thankx in advance
Old 14 January 2002, 10:22 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

So it has arrived then

12v DC is what your *** lighter will give. Both the camera and the microphone run on this too (assuming you got the mike in the kit ?).

You can get an adaptor for your *** lighter from Maplin and then run a positive and negative from that to the power feed on the camera cable. Do make sure you have these the right way around as these cameras do not like reversed polarity (been there, done that). I've not actually done this myself but I have seen it done and works fine. I avoided this setup as not all cars have *** lighters.

Alternative is to get a large (ish) 12v battery to connect it up to. The ones you get in home alarm systems do the job nicely and are rechargable. Cannot really advise on this though as I'm saying that as second hand info. but at a recent 24 hour mountain bike enduro this battery lasted the 24 hours. Pity they don't do Hi-8 tapes in 24 hours lengths

I actually use the eight battery holder as I have a load of rechargeable AA batteries.

Let us know how you get on.

EDIT - As for the mike, if you put it outside, try to keep it out of direct airflow and also cover it with something to keep the air off. You know the fluffy socks pros have on their mikes ? Well, on the tiny mikes I have, I managed to fit a couple of those foam thingys off a pair of walkman headphones over it. Worked a treat.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 1/14/2002 10:25:09 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 10:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Type R,

i think that you can also get C and D cell (again, eight of each) battery packs from RF Concepts. It will still cost a lot in batteries, but you will get a lot longer out of a set.

Ian,

How long do you get out of a set of AAs (and what type for each time - Zinc Carbon, Alkaline or rechargeable)?

mb (who is about to buy the 21CW bullet-can n'all, if he can find a decent windscrren mount)

Old 14 January 2002, 10:53 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps, looks like a couple of phone calls and spend a bit more.

I have the microphone as well, i attached it to the car this morning, in the engine bay, eh it didnt take kindly to the induction roar

I might try the old Walkman headphone cover, although there is a dry area just underneath the front window, out of the way of dirt and airflow.

I mounted the camera on the front lip, wrapped it up in spounge, a few cable ties and bobs your uncle, what pictures, although i think the lense might take a bit of a hammering.

I have bodged together a mounting bracket which should in theory stick to any where on the car, havent dared tried it yet.
Old 14 January 2002, 10:53 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Boomer,

I've only used rechargeables and they have always lasted long enough. Because I've never actually tested how long, I couldn't tell you, but the longest I have used a single set was just over an hour, in freezing temperatures, so they did well. I seem to remember at the time when I bought the AA cell holder, I was told approx. 3 hours off god new Duracells

Because I'm always paranoid that they will go flat I carry several sets and replace them when I get the chance.

As Matt will be using it in car, he can easily get away with using much bigger batteries as you suggest.

As for a windscreen mount, just tape it to the rear view mirror, works fine depending on which lense you use.

Cheers

Ian
Old 14 January 2002, 10:57 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wahey spookie posted at the same time.

Boomer you know you want to , first impressions is very good, as it is very easy to mount, and picture quality is surprisingly good.

Might get myself another rig up a switch box, then you can flick from front to rear , my life is begining to look really sad.

Ah well
Old 15 January 2002, 06:26 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Well the deed has been done, and i have just ordered the Colour waterproof Bullet-Cam package plus an extra mike (my Video Walkman records in stereo) - should arrive Thursday morning

I found a web-site last night where the owner used some of those rubber suction tea-towel holders to make a windscreen mount. Thus i might take a trip down to my local "Washing-Up Bowls 'R' Us" to improvise on a removeable interior mount.

mb
Old 16 January 2002, 06:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Well after trecking around Homebase, B&Q, John Lewis etc, i finally found what i was looking for at Halfords (Duh, should have gone there first )

For GBP13-99 they sell a "mobile phone holder" that consists of a big rubber sucker (lever activated) attached to a flexible arm (bendable yet quite stiff).

This will stick very nicely to the inside of my sindscreen, and the bullet camera (when it arrives) should neatly fit into the "grabs" where the phone would normally go (possibly wrapped in a layer of foam to dampen any vibrations) with a lazzy band around it.

Being flexible, you should be able to point the camera in any direction

I can't wait for the camera delivery tomorrow!

mb
Old 18 January 2002, 06:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

Just to let ya all know that i bought an 8*C-cell battery holder today from Maplins for 99p!!!!

It has a PP3 connector, so you can use the existing power lead from your 8*AA-cell holder, or make your own up for another few tens of pence (cable plus 2.1mm jack).

Oh, and my bullet arrived today - very nice

mb

[Edited by boomer - 1/18/2002 6:34:06 PM]