Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on here got a CSCS card?

Might have to do this. Any advice as to whats involved pretty please
Old 01 December 2007, 04:05 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

yes mate,it involves a safety exam & a on site visit to see the caperbility of yourself to the trade your involved in
Old 01 December 2007, 04:21 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

You need to do the touch screen health and safety test, and depending on your trade, you might be able to get it through grandfather rights, or (more likely these days) you'll have to get an NVQ or other relevant qualification.
Old 01 December 2007, 04:22 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Whats involved in the safety exam, is there somewhere on the net I can do a bit of looking to see what sort of questions, etc
Old 01 December 2007, 04:23 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

You need to sit a multiple choice Health & Safety exam (but they give you a revison book with all the questions and answers in it beforehand) then you need to supply certificates relating to your trade.

We use the JIB - Joint Industry Board for the Electrical Contracting Industry - as the trade the company I work for is affiliated with the ECS.

More information on types of cards here - http://www.cscs.uk.com/RunScript.asp...p=ASP\Pg82.asp

It's £17.50 to take the H&S test, plus £25 to get the card. The card are normally valid for, I think, 3 years.

Some H&S qualifications mean you don't need to sit the CSCS H&S test - like IOSH Managing Safely, for instance.
Old 01 December 2007, 04:24 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
you might be able to get it through grandfather rights
Whats all that about?
Old 01 December 2007, 04:24 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

For the ECS, try this - http://www.jib.org.uk/publications/ecs031v7.pdf
Old 01 December 2007, 05:30 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

ive got cscs card did a touch screen test, took six minutes, did not have 2 supply any trade certs at all, as did not have any at the time, cscs allows u to work on sites where h and s is implemented, it does not qualify you for anything in itself, just proves you have passed that test. as an apprentice on a site you are not a qualified tradesman, but still need cscs to work at the site. touch screen test like car theory test, the book tells u all u need 2 know including answers. tip answer every qestion in book without looking at answers, then only learn the ones u fail on, most are common sense.
good luck
Old 01 December 2007, 05:37 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
Whats all that about?
if your an old giffer
Old 01 December 2007, 09:21 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Whats all that about?
It's a scheme they run - usually just when a new trade is added to the CSCS list - that allows you to get a card just from your employer saying that you're competent in your chosen trade. I'm not sure which (if any) trades it is open for at the moment, but it closed for all the common trades some years ago.
Old 01 December 2007, 10:30 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

never went for mine also..cuz i left the building trade,but think its more to do with health and safety on work or construction sites...its basically just another silly little card you have to keep in ur wallet..but really cant do the trade unless u got it..were all going to need to get bigger wallets..i must have about 4 already for my job and theres more to ***....
Old 02 December 2007, 09:38 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are still on city and guilds there are free course's which can be sorted!! they come on site and take pictures of you and there are a few forms to fill out. It doesn't take long and once completed you have the NVQ2 qualification! I know its a bit of a **** take if you have been ding your job for years but it gets you the card so who cares
Old 02 December 2007, 09:59 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

sadly the cscs cards are also being copied a lot now as well. a few years ago before i moved up in the world i was doing a lot of site inductions.

at one point i had a gang of 19 people i thought were suspect and when checking their cards 17 of them were dodgy .

as much as the principle is a good idea and i have just renewed mine to the managers card when it ran out last month its worth sod all now due to people copying them.

in london you can buy a cscs card, cis card and a passport for £500 according to some of the guys i know who work in london.

as one post said its just the beginning, there are already more cards planned over the next few years.

unfortunately its one of those things you need for the job. although the test is easy enough if you have common sense. do the proper thing as you can get into a lot of trouble having a fake one.
Old 02 December 2007, 10:45 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mine's still valid.
Very very easy multiple choice test.
Old 02 December 2007, 11:16 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

yea the test's are pritty easy,but it would just be nice if we could be left alone,to just get on with are jobs.now this new job i been doing for last four years,i had to take the tests theory and practical 3 times.now were having to get another card which means more exams where an examiner has to spend the day with me while i do my job.i dont want some numpty sitting next to me all day while im trying to work..what about if i forget he is there and start singing Justin Timberlake songs..Rock UR Bodyyy..Although i dont have to take the initial test,which i found out over the net.we now still have to attend a training course so many times a year,just so i can be handed a card so i can do my job which i already know how to do..BIG BROTHER AGAINN think i will emigrate to New Zealand and become a Mountain Man.. YEEEE HAAAAAA
Old 02 December 2007, 01:04 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot people, the above info is very handy
Old 01 November 2012, 04:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

yeah its not rocket science, few odd things worth reading up on but most of it is common sence.
Old 01 November 2012, 04:24 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is up for renewal soon, 5 year validity
Old 01 November 2012, 05:45 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Glad i'm not in it anymore,i hear H&S has become a nightmare on construction sites now..
Old 01 November 2012, 05:57 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Glad i'm not in it anymore,i hear H&S has become a nightmare on construction sites now..
and people still die and get serious injury through negligence / stupidity

I do agree it has become a real pain for some of the most basic things
Old 01 November 2012, 06:36 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

I`ll second that, You can understand why they do it but its is getting a bit daft these days IMO, Whatever happened to common sense!!
Old 01 November 2012, 06:46 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Alternatively, if you work in utilities you can undertake EUSR SHEA training in your relevant sector, i.e. water, gas electricity. The SHEA card is affiliated to CSCS and will also get utility operatives on construction sites if required.

The SHEA training is generally a little more intensive than the CSCS health and safety touch screen test, and is valid for the same length of time - 5 years.
Old 01 November 2012, 07:01 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did same as Steve I got my cs cs test done also city guilds Drylining nvq2 had guy on site watch u for a day sign a few bits of paper done. Now I have a blue card because I'm special lol
Old 01 November 2012, 07:02 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

If you are under The CITB scheme book it up through them.
They are there to provide grants and cover costs of of Construction Training.

If you are not in The CITB Scheme don't bother as you will then have to pay a yearly levy charge.

It will only pay to use The CITB to arrange training if you are already part of the scheme.
Old 01 November 2012, 07:52 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH CSCS cards are a waste of time and again like most things only as good as the day they are done.

Since they came out I have never been on a single site where I have been asked to produce mine especially as I am not a contractor working the tools I walk around looking at what has to be done so it should be asked for.
Old 01 November 2012, 08:06 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Yup 1,2,3,4, fourth one is a pain,they now last for five years then you have to resit the whole course again.
Old 01 November 2012, 08:06 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
TBH CSCS cards are a waste of time and again like most things only as good as the day they are done.

Since they came out I have never been on a single site where I have been asked to produce mine especially as I am not a contractor working the tools I walk around looking at what has to be done so it should be asked for.
I got asked for mine on a highways job the other week so not even on a construction site. I just produced my three cards and told the guy to take his pick.
Old 01 November 2012, 08:34 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Depends on which sites you're on I suppose, I get asked for mine 9/10 sites I go on, All the big main sites won't let you on without it.
Old 01 November 2012, 08:36 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same gaz nearly every site . Try getting on a kier London site or bowmer Kirkland with out one
Old 01 November 2012, 10:05 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Might have to do this. Any advice as to whats involved pretty please
In case not already mentioned, make sure you are booked on the correct one. There is the general exam with qualifies you onto a site, but there are then trade specific exams. My work sent me on the wrong one, still passed it though as its basic stuff

Quick Reply: Anyone on here got a CSCS card?