Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Hero or Lunatic
Hero
68.42%
Lunatic
22.81%
Don't care just glad he's not over here....
8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Hero or Lunatic?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2007, 06:10 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hero or Lunatic?

Texan 'hero' shoots and kills burglars - Telegraph

What do you lot reckon?
Old 30 November 2007, 06:17 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Its just the American way, and in someways I feel **** yeah. thats the way to do it. In another, shoot. What a nutter, was just out to kill someone, anyone?? reminds me of Dexter, that TV thing on FX, serial killer killing the bad people, is it right.
Must admit it did make me chuckle.
Old 30 November 2007, 07:05 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Anyone who's willing to kill someone over a bloody TV is an idiot. (In my opinion). If they were in his house and threatening him - then fine - kill them, as it stands, its nothing more than murder in my opinion.
Old 30 November 2007, 07:13 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Could of shot em in the legs at least
Old 30 November 2007, 07:58 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

2 more scum wiped of the face of this earth tho
Old 30 November 2007, 08:05 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Most home owners in Texas keep shotguns for one thing and that is for personal and home protection. At close rage with the correct ammo they have the ultimate stopping power. Most homeowners will buy a special "home protection" kit which includes short 18 inch barrel, long mag, pistol grip, flash light etc etc etc. In turn its a very compact way to spit out a big lump of lead at 500m/s!!

I dont fully agree with his actions as IMHO the use of a firearm should only be in situations where you have no choice - however we were not there so cant say what the deal is with their reactions after his challenge to halt.

Either way he has a lot of legal protection in the state of Texas, not as much as some states as it happens but still the law is very much on his side unless he has done something that they can use against him.
Old 30 November 2007, 08:09 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Whilst in Cuba Last week i was talking to our Tour Guide.

Whilst in theCity we were approched by a few rather "dodgy" looking people,our guide said there Harmless,but they looked shifty if you ask me.We got on the subject of crime and he says it is very low over there.

A Burgler can expect 20-25 years,because if they burgle over there there intent on Murder.Also self defence is ok,you can kill an intruder if your life is at risk and you can prove it.

UK should be like that.
Old 30 November 2007, 08:12 PM
Painkiller
Scooby Regular

So next time i jump over the fence enter next doors garden use the shed for coffee i should be shot dead ?
Old 30 November 2007, 08:48 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Painkiller
So next time i jump over the fence enter next doors garden use the shed for coffee i should be shot dead ?
Dont do it,and you wont get shot
Old 30 November 2007, 08:55 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The police should have got there before he had a chance to shoot them. He was staying inside till the burglars tried to leave. Do the crime, get blown away I say
Old 30 November 2007, 09:47 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Luminous
The police should have got there before he had a chance to shoot them. He was staying inside till the burglars tried to leave. Do the crime, get blown away I say
Yeap yep yep yep yep (as Al from Happy Days would have said)

No pity from me - He should be able to recoup the costs of the shells and his time (time and a half if it was nighttime I guess) from the burglars families.
Old 30 November 2007, 11:07 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

IMHO he's a fruit'n'nut. Fair enough shoot the buggers if they wake you from your slumber in your own hoose, but this was more "Judge, Judy and excecutioner !".
Old 01 December 2007, 01:43 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speye91
Also self defence is ok,you can kill an intruder if your life is at risk and you can prove it.

UK should be like that.
The UK *IS* like that, contary to popular belief. You are allowed to use what you believe to be reasonable force to protect your, or someone elses life.

If someone is trying to kill you, or someone else, then you can kill them and be entirely within the law.

The reason why our Norfolk Farmer friend went to jail is because he shot them in the back, AFTER, they had left his premises.. hence, no longer presented a threat to life. If he'd have shot them coming up the stairs, he'd have probably got away scot-free.

The law covering this is exactly the same law that covers the majority of engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan just in case your wondering.
Old 01 December 2007, 02:17 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Good on him I say The ******* knew what the risks were, let's face it, it's not like the law is ambiguous in that part of the world

IMO opinion, it should be automatically accepted in law that if you enter somebody elses property with out permission you, by default, sign away all human rights

Thanks to scum like Cherie Blair and her ilk, far to many low-lifes are all to aware of their 'human rights', but are completely clueless when it comes to their human responsibilities
Old 01 December 2007, 02:22 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

far to many low-lifes are all to aware of their 'human rights', but are completely clueless when it comes to their human responsibilities
Best line I've heard in a long time.
Old 01 December 2007, 07:58 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

If they want a telly, why don't they jack in the drugs and go get a job like the majority of decent, hard working folks.

I lived in Middleshorror for 12 months and got completely done over 3 times. If shooting the ******** had been an option I'd have taken it.
Old 01 December 2007, 09:10 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Indeed in the UK you can use deadly force if the need arises BUT and this is the BIG BUT.... in the US (probably not in this case though) the media will champion the OAP who slots the crack head that was trying to take his life savings at knife point from under his matress. The various pro home protection organisations will probably give him money - some gun manuf's will probably have you on their adverts and they will give you a nice shiny gun to put on your wall for next time, he will be on TV and everyone will give him a pat on the back, including the 5-o.

However in the UK in the same situation there will be a long drawn out court case, following your arrest and charge, the media will try and prove you were guilty and even after you get found not guilty in court the scum bags family will sue for pain and suffering bla bla bla. And the chances of you getting any of your guns back are rather slim.

This is half the reason why we have armed police officers who are so reluctaint to shoot - after they pull the trigger they know the next 2 - 3 years will be hell and probably result in loss of their job.
Old 01 December 2007, 09:10 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If you break into someone's house, you should lose all legal protection.

This guy seemed a little eager to kill and it wasn't even his property but at the end of the day, if they'd got themselves a job instead of thinking they could help themselves to someone else's hard-earned property, they'd be alive and well and a young mother wouldn't be bringing an 8 month old baby up on her own.

Do you think she'll tell her kid that Daddy was an ******* and got himself killed, or will she tell him that Daddy was killed by a bad old white man?
Old 01 December 2007, 11:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I believe totally in our rights of self defence and also defending our own property. I think this bloke was trigger happy and looking for an excuse to kill someone and that was wrong in these circumstances. If his life had been threatened that is different. If he had frightened them with the gun and arrested them, that would have been the righr way to go about it I think.

Les
Old 01 December 2007, 11:34 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2 less scum on the rob. If they were caught and jailed it would cost the taxpayers $80000+
Old 01 December 2007, 04:14 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
The UK *IS* like that, contary to popular belief. You are allowed to use what you believe to be reasonable force to protect your, or someone elses life.

If someone is trying to kill you, or someone else, then you can kill them and be entirely within the law.

The reason why our Norfolk Farmer friend went to jail is because he shot them in the back, AFTER, they had left his premises.. hence, no longer presented a threat to life. If he'd have shot them coming up the stairs, he'd have probably got away scot-free.

The law covering this is exactly the same law that covers the majority of engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan just in case your wondering.

Does this mean that Taleban chaps can take a few shots at you, start running away and not risk being dropped because their back is turned to you ?
Old 01 December 2007, 05:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

thumbs up from me

Mart
Old 01 December 2007, 05:58 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Does this mean that Taleban chaps can take a few shots at you, start running away and not risk being dropped because their back is turned to you ?
Depending on where you are in Afghanistan.. yes. In Iraq this is certainly the case, and it was the same as this in Northern Ireland. An Iraqi/Afghani can set off a bomb or fire their weapon, kill a number of people - then just drop the weapon and run. At which point you can't put a bullet in them because the UK Government would have you on a murder charge as they "were no longer a threat to life".
Old 01 December 2007, 06:03 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

They wont be robbing any more homes
Old 01 December 2007, 06:15 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Depending on where you are in Afghanistan.. yes. In Iraq this is certainly the case, and it was the same as this in Northern Ireland. An Iraqi/Afghani can set off a bomb or fire their weapon, kill a number of people - then just drop the weapon and run. At which point you can't put a bullet in them because the UK Government would have you on a murder charge as they "were no longer a threat to life".

How do you feel about that Prasius ? What do you think the Rules of Engagement should be ?
Old 01 December 2007, 06:17 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Give the old boy a medal, bottom line is if they weren't on the rob then they wouldn't have got shot and they probably wouldn't have thought twice about battering the old guy to a pulp.
Old 01 December 2007, 06:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

A plain and simple murderer.
Old 01 December 2007, 06:54 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
How do you feel about that Prasius ? What do you think the Rules of Engagement should be ?
It can be frustrating - but the rules are the rules, we all know what they are so.. My personal belief is that if your stupid enough to point a gun at a Soldier then you pretty much deserve whatever you get - it is meant to be a war after all - big boys rules and all that.

As for the Individual in question here - what those who support him are effectively saying is that they believe that burglary deserves the death penalty. A little harsh.

You kill a thief during a struggle in your house, you are protecting your family and your own life, to be punished is totally wrong, if someone enters your home, then they, in my mind, are pretty much free game to do what you want with. HOWEVER, once they have left your house, it is a totally different matter. You kill them when they're running away, moved to the next town, 4 weeks later when they're 800 miles away.. where do you draw the line? You are not protecting life, you are killing someone because they stole some property. Hardly appropriate in my opinion.
Old 01 December 2007, 07:17 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

This is a tough call and we can't judge because we weren't there with whatever adrenalin or fright was going through this guy.
and I'm at the stage where I think our society is simply too soft. Scumbags know their rights and are willing to use that against the system and therefore us decent folk.

CrisPDuk hit is right on the head with that excellent line:

BUT, we really do need to take back the streets... I'm sick and tired or hearing of various scumbags taking us for a ride.. time for us to 'give something back' to these parasites who prey on decent people... If death is the extreme side.. then so be it...
Old 02 December 2007, 03:10 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

It can be frustrating - but the rules are the rules, we all know what they are so.. My personal belief is that if your stupid enough to point a gun at a Soldier then you pretty much deserve whatever you get - it is meant to be a war after all - big boys rules and all that.
Thanks, it's interesting hearing what a soldier that has served in Afghanistan thinks about such things.

Musts admit, if someone had just taken a shot at me and then started running, I'd be inclined to fire so the same thing didn't happen again. Presumably a quite a number of them are taken prisoner ? Do most engagements go along the lines of -

1) Taleban fire at British troops
2) Air strike called in
3) The end ?

cheers,

Andy

Quick Reply: Hero or Lunatic?