Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

It just gets worse

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2007, 12:21 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What really concerns me is the fate of the feckin BEAR!?! .....
Old 30 November 2007, 12:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at what happens in the womens prisons in Sudan ..... horrific

Islam has a lot to answer for, as has all religions - mother of all battles anyone?
Old 30 November 2007, 12:30 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

how much aid does Sudan get...
Old 30 November 2007, 12:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
Bear-ly any !
Old 30 November 2007, 12:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pwhittle
HIV/AIDS in Sudan

40,187,486: population of Sudan (July 2005 est.)

350,00: Estimated number of people living with HIV/AIDS by the end of 2005

1.6%: Estimated percentage of adults (ages 15-49) living with HIV/AIDS by the end of 2005

180,000: Estimated number of women (ages 15-49) living with HIV/AIDS by the end of 2005

30,000: Estimated number of children (0-14) living with HIV/AIDS by the end of 2005

34,000: Estimated number of deaths due to AIDS during

HTH's
Old 30 November 2007, 12:46 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There are so many two faced people on this site it amazes me. Johhny Foreigner comes here and is berated if they don't adopt the British way of doing things and then kick up a fuss when a Brit goes to another country, doesn't follow their customs and get's done for it.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:48 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Dirty animals. what makes me mad is the people using their religion to condem violence "people chanting she should be shot". If they all followed Islam correctly they should know it preech's peace and forgiveness also.

When has Africa ever sorted out its issues without Violence and destruction anyway?

Africa is said to have traces of the first human evolution, so you would have thought with being the oldest continent they would have had a bit of a head start on the rest of the world? Yet they remain one of the poorest continents and to this day continue to kill each other genocide after genocide.

There is no hope im afraid.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:49 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
There are so many two faced people on this site it amazes me. Johhny Foreigner comes here and is berated if they don't adopt the British way of doing things and then kick up a fuss when a Brit goes to another country, doesn't follow their customs and get's done for it.
Talking to a brick wall matey. Nobody cares, this isnt Sparta, this is England!!!! We rule
Old 30 November 2007, 12:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They are concerned about what a fooking Teddy Bear is called, yet ...

Torture and impunity remained a government policy. Security forces continued a campaign of harassment, intimidation, and persecution targeting political opponents and human rights defenders by means of arbitrary searches and arrests, followed by incommunicado and protracted arbitrary detention without judicial review. Security used "non-detention" as a ploy as in prior years: it ordered individuals to report to security headquarters early in the morning and sit there all day, doing nothing. They were released at night but ordered to return the next day.

Two Catholic priests and more than eighteen other defendants who had been tortured to confess to charges of sabotage and conspiracy in 1998 were pardoned in January 2000. Their credible allegations of torture were not investigated. Islamic student militias operating under the protection of the security forces abducted and tortured a number of student activists. Security agents enjoyed de jure and de facto immunity from prosecution. Despite formal complaints by families of torture victims and the U.N. special rapporteur for Sudan, the government did not seriously investigate any cases. A doctor at Atbara hospital demanded an investigation into the torture he suffered at security's hands, but government officials disavowed responsibility, downplaying torture as a personal act committed by security agents whom the state cannot control.

Some sixty or more PNC members were arrested by security and blamed for fomenting a series of September demonstrations where deaths and destruction of public property occurred, as in western Fashir, where one woman student was killed and fourteen injured (as were five police) in a street protest against utility shortages and nonpayment of teachers' salaries.

Press-gang military recruitment of young men and underage boys from buses and public places continued. Demonstrators in Khartoum and other cities participated in anti-conscription protests that damaged government property and banks. Authorities responded with what appeared to be excessive force, killing several students and unemployed.

Conditions in Omdurman Women's Prison remained shocking: chronic overcrowding, lack of sanitation, diseases, and death from epidemics among children who lived with their mothers. The government annually pardoned women, temporarily easing overcrowding before bringing in the next batch of prisoners; in 2000, the government pardoned more than 700 women. These included more than 500 mostly poverty-stricken, illiterate southerners convicted of brewing and selling alcohol to help their families survive.

Public Order Police frequently harassed women and monitored women's dress according to the government's stereotype of Islamic correctness. Public Order Courts remained the state's primary weapon against women striving for freedom and equality; women received summary justice in these courts, often followed immediately by flogging, without effective right to appeal.

In September 2000, the governor of Khartoum State decreed that women would be banned from some public service jobs such as gas station attendant and restaurant and hotel employee. Security forces tear-gassed and beat women demonstrating against the decree, arresting twenty-six of them for trial by Public Order Courts. Even the government-created unions protested and the court suspended the decree in September pending a judicial hearing.

The nongovernmental press exercised more freedom despite arrests of journalists. In March 2000, security authorities held five journalists and a poet for questioning over articles deemed "anti-government" and critical of the armed forces. In August, security forces arrested two journalists from private newspapers, both of which had been shut down several times in 1999 for accusing the government of corruption.

In an encouraging development, in July the government issued exit visas to some political party leaders, advocates, and activists to attend a convention in Kampala, Uganda, also attended by NDA and civil society members, on the future of Sudan and human rights in transition. Representatives of the Masaalit in western Sudan denounced new attacks on their people, and on the Dagu, Fur, and Zaghawa, by Arab militias armed, supported, and given immunity from prosecution for their acts by the government. In July, reported massacres of these Africans by Arab militias claimed nineteen, sixteen, and five victims in different incidents.

The government pursued its policy of harassment of Christian churches and believers. Apostasy, or conversion by Muslims to another faith, remained a capital crime. The accelerated top-level discourse of jihad to encourage enlistment for the war against the infidels in central, east and southern Sudan sustained a climate of intolerance.

About twenty security officers stormed and searched the Catholic Comboni College compound in July 2000. In early July, a Mexican clerical student was detained and suffered abuse at the hands of security. The Khartoum state government continued to destroy Christian structures such as chapels, schools, and clinics that served the southern population in the city's vast slums. Two of the four million Khartoum residents were people displaced from other parts of the country, most of whom struggled to survive in the informal economy.

Lets go in and take over!
Old 30 November 2007, 12:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SetoN
Africa is said to have traces of the first human evolution
Wasnt the cave man a honky?
Old 30 November 2007, 12:53 PM
Vampire
Scooby Regular

Lol I was just going to say exactly this. She's working in another country, a muslim country, so she really ought to be fully aware of what sorts of things not to do. I mean, its not like they got her on an obscure rule, she surely can't claim ignorance of their holiest prophets name!

You really have to wonder with some people.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:55 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by **************
she was silly for being there anyway
Why exactly? Theres more to earth than England.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:55 PM
Vampire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
LMFAO! I assume thats angled at me for starting the thread and one on immigrants. I think you will find there is a bit of difference between wanting the doors shut at Dover and someone being threatened with being shot because she called a teddy bear Mohammed No problem with her being deported from Sudan, she was silly for being there anyway but to say she should be shot just emphasises what a total bunch of freaks they are.
IMO all he was saying was that most people here believe foreigners should behave in a certain way when they come here, so it's only right that British people behave with the same level of consideration when they go overseas.

Particularly in places where insulting their religeon can get you your head cut off.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Why don't they string up the boy who name the bear?

It all stinks to me, I just can't help thinking that there's more to this than meets the eye and is used as an opportunity to backup some political agenda (muslims vs west)
Old 30 November 2007, 01:00 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I for one think we should attack and flatten Africa.... I've never gotten over the slaughter of our brave lads in "Wild Geese" and Roger Moore was a complete star flying that plan while shot in the leg!

Feckin Africans have got it coming.... just give me one excuse!!
Old 30 November 2007, 01:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im not denying that the country has its fair share of extremists, but so does Britain. Im just grateful theyre not in charge though.
Old 30 November 2007, 01:04 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

She didn't offend anyone, and didn't insult anyone. The Children named the bear. There was a little boy in the Class called Mohammed, that was delighted the bear had the same name as himself.

Political. That's all this is.

Just hope the SAS was on standby to get her out if she was sentenced to 1 year in jail or a public thrashing.
Old 30 November 2007, 01:06 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stilover
Just hope the SAS was on standby to get her out if she was sentenced to 1 year in jail or a public thrashing.
Their newest member Richard Hammond was chomping at the bit
Old 30 November 2007, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you will find that any muslim non extremist would agree with the general opinion in this country that this prosecution is totally unreasonable and that the verdict and sentence is ridiculous.

This is quite obviously a political act by a government and judiciary using Islam for their own purposes. Their record on human rights does not stand up very well particularly with reference to women.

I sincerely hope that our own government is able to put enough pressure on their government to release her immediately.

To say that she is at fault for not following the rules of the country in this case is quite wrong in my opinion. The reaction to what she did does not even follow natural law.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 30 November 2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 30 November 2007, 01:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think you will find that any muslim non extremist would agree with the general opinion in this country that this prosecution is totally unreasonable and that the verdict and sentence is ridiculous.

This is quite obviously a political act by a government and judiciary for their own purposes using Islam for their own purposes. Their record on human rights does not stand up very well particularly with reference to women.

I sincerely hope that our own government is able to put enough pressure on their government to release her immediately.

To say that she is at fault for not following the rules of the country in this case is quite wrong in my opinion. The reaction to what she did does not even follow natural law.

Les
Quite right Les, I've spoken about the issue of humanity taken precedence over a respect for other cultures before, so won't reiterate here.

However, this is most certainly not double standards: even the Muslim council of great Britain have publicly declared this decision to be nonsense!
Old 30 November 2007, 01:20 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

What is wrong with these people....didnt think the world was in the dark ages...

BBC NEWS | Africa | Shoot UK teacher, say protesters
Old 30 November 2007, 01:22 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I really,really do not understand this religion or certain peoples interpretation of it.
Old 30 November 2007, 01:23 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot.

Mrs Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was jailed by a court on Thursday after children in her class named a teddy bear Muhammad.

She was sentenced to 15 days for insulting religion, and she will then be deported.

The marchers took to the streets after Friday prayers to denounce the leniency of the sentence.

The protesters gathered in Martyrs Square, outside the presidential palace in the capital, many of them carrying knives and sticks.

Marchers chanted "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".
Hundreds of riot police were deployed but they did not break up the demonstration.

**** sake .......

Quick Reply: It just gets worse