Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not quite sure what to make of the sale of SN...

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2007, 07:48 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not quite sure what to make of the sale of SN...

Sorry for the delay on this one but I have been on a course for a week.

Firstly I will say this is based, in my opinon, only on the info I have to hand and I am NOT maiking any accusations of any kind but I would like some clarificaiton..

What has caused me some concern is the fact that a few months ago the forum owner / manager brought in some big changes. If you pay a set sum then you will get some benefits etc. All seemed very good at the time.

I decided to go for "Orange Club Full Member".

This was for a few reasons but mainly because I thought the small sum that I was paying was fair reward for the people who operate the forum - taking up their own time ETC. And at the time they (Simon?) did mention that the payment would be a one off and go towards improving the forum etc.

All fair enough.

However for the forum to then be sold on is some what questionable, may well be fully legal but for me personally I would morally have to think twice about doing it.

It may well be the case that the forum owners did not know that they would sell the forum before they brought in the new features, but one cant help but wonder what really happened.

Now I am sure that the members benefits will remain in place but for me, a part of that payment was to go towards the good will of the people that run this forum. In my opinion.

I hope we can have an adult conversation about this... just wanted to bounce this off NSR..
Old 28 November 2007, 07:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I have to say, this thought crossed my mind.

I've never contributed financially to this site, but I feel I have contibuted to the community. I also want to preface my comments with the point that I actually have no issues with the forum being sold on.

IIRC, people were encouraged to pay for membership in order to "give something back" (although admittedly this may not have come from Scoobynet Ltd.) even though the site was "commercial" albeit run pretty much part-time etc.

The cynical viewpoint would be to say that the big push for paying members was to make the site more interesting to a potential purchaser and not really about giving users more.

The more balanced viewpoint would be to say that by getting more investment in Scoobynet from a commercial source, this could make the community better for all of us.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:06 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Indeed, I think you have put it a bit better than me.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:14 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys

I completely understand why you could jump to that conclusion. There's little point in me saying it was anything otherwise as I could simply be lieing.

All I'll say is.. anyone who knows me, will know that anything of the sort would be wholely opposed to my character.

I'm answering like this, as your post was completely reasonable. It wasn't "huh, I can see you conned me!", it was simply "look.. just want to talk this through".

I can understand that, but what I would say is this. I honestly had no idea I would be selling when I put all this in place. The fact that there are a load of members who require service but with no chance of further revenue actually REDUCES the value of scoobynet, not increases. The revenue did indeed give something back to us, and I can assure you, and as I said at the time, and many times since, the support was wonderful and meant the world.

Running scoobynet in the way we did (basically as enthusiasts) was always a hand-to-mouth situation, and meant that we were in profit half the time, and loss the other half.. when the losses got enough, we stepped up income in some form or another to cover the costs of new servers, etc. Then ended up in profit for a bit, and so on.

Eventually, I can assure you, even someone a stubborn as me gives up!

Now, we'll all be supported by a proper web company with proper funds behind them, and most importantly (as far as I'm concerned) they are the ONE company I was comfortable with in terms of their plans for the site. I am absolutely sure ScoobyNet's in great hands.

-

I think your question is basically "have I sold everyone out?".

As I said, I could simply be lieing to you, but the answer couldn't be more "no", and in-fact a number of people who know the real inside line know just how much.

I'm no saint, and have never said I was. I couldn't cope with the workload anymore, and I took a reasonable offer. But it wasn't a simple case of take the money and run. It was a case of very careful selection from a number of parties to make sure everyone got the best result, and that includes you all (well, excluding the odd one here and there maybe!! )

ANY question, please feel free to PM, or post.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by webmaster
Guys

I completely understand why you could jump to that conclusion. There's little point in me saying it was anything otherwise as I could simply be lieing.

All I'll say is.. anyone who knows me, will know that anything of the sort would be wholely opposed to my character.

I'm answering like this, as your post was completely reasonable. It wasn't "huh, I can see you conned me!", it was simply "look.. just want to talk this through".

I can understand that, but what I would say is this. I honestly had no idea I would be selling when I put all this in place. The fact that there are a load of members who require service but with no chance of further revenue actually REDUCES the value of scoobynet, not increases. The revenue did indeed give something back to us, and I can assure you, and as I said at the time, and many times since, the support was wonderful and meant the world.

Running scoobynet in the way we did (basically as enthusiasts) was always a hand-to-mouth situation, and meant that we were in profit half the time, and loss the other half.. when the losses got enough, we stepped up income in some form or another to cover the costs of new servers, etc. Then ended up in profit for a bit, and so on.

Eventually, I can assure you, even someone a stubborn as me gives up!

Now, we'll all be supported by a proper web company with proper funds behind them, and most importantly (as far as I'm concerned) they are the ONE company I was comfortable with in terms of their plans for the site. I am absolutely sure ScoobyNet's in great hands.

-

I think your question is basically "have I sold everyone out?".

As I said, I could simply be lieing to you, but the answer couldn't be more "no", and in-fact a number of people who know the real inside line know just how much.

I'm no saint, and have never said I was. I couldn't cope with the workload anymore, and I took a reasonable offer. But it wasn't a simple case of take the money and run. It was a case of very careful selection from a number of parties to make sure everyone got the best result, and that includes you all (well, excluding the odd one here and there maybe!! )

ANY question, please feel free to PM, or post.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:20 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply, I did not mean any harm from my post and I am sure you know that any way. I run a forum (much smaller than this!) with only a few 1000 members and it does take up a lot of time!!! I can understand your position and wish you well for the future, I would also like to say thanks for running such a good ship - I dont own a Subaru now but I intend to stick around as this forum really is one of the best.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:25 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

It seems to be the way of things recently with Pistonheads, Rennlist and now SN being picked up by commercial interests.

Personally I "joined" or rather paid for the 7 years plus of advice, help and entertainment I've had. I reckon I've had value for money and don't begrudge Simon gracefully reducing his efforts after all these years.

Those of us who haven't been around for long maybe don't know how much this place has developed and improved since Simon jumped in an rescued the original Scoobynet.

I understand if you are a recent convert and have paid money over you might think differently and I can sympathise with that completely.

For me tho' it's thanks Simon and Shaun and all power to ya.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:30 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

billythekid

Thank you sir. I took absolutely no offense at all at your respectfully worded post. It was a valid question, put forward like a gentleman. How could I?

LanCat

Thank you, I really appreciate your comments, as indeed will Shaun.

NS04
Old 28 November 2007, 09:12 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Cracking answer and the one I knew we'd probably get

I think it's testament to the site how many ex-Scooby owners still post regularly on here. Good luck with your future ventures.