Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wife involved in hit and run...

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2007, 01:02 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife involved in hit and run...

This evening, not a nice thing to happen to anyone but she's five months pregnant.

Wife dropped eldest daughter at work and headed home, with youngest daughter in car.

She's stationery at a set of lights when a new s-class runs in to the back of her.

She immediately gets out of the car to check the damage.
Mercedes driver, mid 60s, refuses to get out of car.

The whole thing is witnessed by a van driver who is behind the Mercedes- he tells my wife to ring the Police as he's just followed the Mercedes for several miles and he was weaving all over the road, so suspects he *may* have had a drink. Van pulls up close so the Mercedes can't leave the scene.

Wife gets back in car, a little shaken, and rings the Police from hands free. Youngest daughter has taken her seatbelt off as she can see her mum's upset.

Whilst on the phone, the Mercedes rams her 4 times and once he's pushed her far enough out of the way he speeds off.

Anyway, police tell the wife to come home as they'll be round to take a statement.

In the mean time, they've been to the Merc drivers house, and the car is there, damaged, but he won't answer the door.

The police tell us that as she isn't injured the worst they think they'll be able to do him for is leaving the scene of an accident.

How crappy is that???
Old 23 November 2007, 01:24 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

You're joking right? FFS. It'll probably turn out to be a judge or solicitor or someone with a good knowledge of the law! Leaving the scene versus possible drink driving and dangerous driving etc must be more leniant or something.
Old 23 November 2007, 03:35 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Fecking low life.As it was witnessed by the van driver can more not be done ?
Old 23 November 2007, 06:14 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

That's complete bollox

Your wife has an independent witness who saw him deliberately ramming your vehicle, that's dangerous driving at the very minimum

As scoobynutta says he'll likely turn out to be connected My money is on magistrate or ex-copper

Not likely to be a solicitor IMO, as most coppers wouldn't p!ss on them if they were on fire

My advice; do not let this drop. If your insurance has legal cover use it, with the utmost vigour
Old 23 November 2007, 06:39 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

deliberately ramming you is assualt with a vehicle.

Push for as much as you can get this ******* done for as much as possible

Hope your wife is OK
Old 23 November 2007, 06:55 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

how the hell do people do these kinda things?????????

i wouldn t be letting that one go easily at all

at lest on the bright side of the bad situation ur wife and daughter didn t end up badly injured.

when this goes to court they ll not have a leg to stand on. they get shafted for being such a d1ck
Old 23 November 2007, 07:00 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

As said before, hope your wife is OK
Old 23 November 2007, 07:16 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it all the way, don't let it drop. Maybe pepipoo can offer advise?
Old 23 November 2007, 07:18 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

this is madness!! Hope your wife is ok fella, not a nice incident to take place though.

NB: actually its not illegal to HIT then RUN until after 24hrs then if they fail to report it it becomes a criminal matter..(according to the officer i dealt with recently) Id get down the doctors and report whiplash for starters then seek legal advice asap, these people cant get away with things like this and the police are useless in my opinion concearning matters like these. Keep the pressure on..
Old 23 November 2007, 07:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Surely they have more powers than that if the expect him to have been drink driving? No wonder he doesnt answer the door.

At least your wife was in the protection of her car as could have been a lot worse with some nutter all over the road.

Simon
Old 23 November 2007, 08:10 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Christ Simon

I hope your Wife & Daughter are both OK

Ask on 5ive-o too

You should use whatever legal might you can muster and get this scum prosecuted for as much as you possibly can

You have an independant witness, there is damage to the merc that can probably be paint matched etc to you car

How can the police possibly say there were no injuries, are they doctors now, your wife is 5 months pregnant, she should get checked out at hospital just to be on the safe side
Old 23 November 2007, 08:13 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Sweet jesus. Did they slip out where this bell end lives? Is he local?

That is unbelievable mate. I hope he gets whats coming to him.

More importantly I hope your better half is OK.

Dude.
Old 23 November 2007, 08:41 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi,

At least your wife and daughtwer are OK

I would post this up on the five-0 site to see what they say, you will get some good advice (i always have).

It sounds terrbile what has happened and at the very least these people should not be on the road.

5ive-o - Powered by vBulletin
Old 23 November 2007, 08:42 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

If the cops don't do any better than there current offer I'd go to the papers. Drink Drivers are always flavour of the month in Dec. Our local paper the Evening Express which to be fair does get good local reading takes photos of all drink drivers as they leave the court house, prints their name and address.
Old 23 November 2007, 08:45 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Not nice reading - glad wife and daughter (and bump!) are okay.

They've always said that the worst drink drivers are the middle-aged businessmen with their mercs and jags. The fact that the driver wouldn't answer his door suggests to me he was clearly over the limit and is no doubt waiting for the alcohol to disappear from his bloodstream.

Hope this gets sorted (and keep us updated too).
Old 23 November 2007, 08:53 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I glad your wife and daughter plus bump are OK personally I would not let it rest I would find the b@stard and hunt him down, because if that were my wife and daughter I would be so angry, also take a trip to the nick and have a word, hope everything goes OK.
Cheers
Colin
Old 23 November 2007, 09:08 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Glad your wife and daughter are ok, thats a seriously sh!tty thing to do. Id definately be persuing this as much as possible Least the van driver was nice enough to try and help.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:15 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I'd guess he's been done for drink driving before and he knows what happens if he gets breathalised! No doubt he'll be on the phone to his solicitor preparing the story of how he was so 'shaken' by the accident he had to go straight home and lie down.

Would have been superb if the van driver boxed the merc in
Old 23 November 2007, 09:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry but if this story is 100% as written in the intial post (and I am not saying it isn't) then you need to take this further by what ever means you can.

Let's look at the facts. Your wife is 5 months pregnant with your daughter in the car and another vehicle is deliberately ramming her car 4 times in full view of an independent witness who suspected even before the incident that the driver of the vehicle may have been drunk due to his erratic driving beforehand.

Faced with this the police say they can only do him for leaving the scene. This is completely and utterly wrong and you need to get hold of a senior police officer asap before the Merc is tidied up etc.

Do not delay - the next time he does this the victim may not be so lucky.

And they wonder why the public has no confidence in them.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:33 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I too am shocked that the car hasnt been siezed as evidence!
Old 23 November 2007, 09:38 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Would have been superb if the van driver boxed the merc in
The van driver did box him in, hence the Merc ramming his wifes car 4 times to get out.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:39 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

surely they could have arrested him for dangerous driving (or isn't that arrestable?), then they could have breathalises him

well done to the van driver anyway, so many people won't get involved these days
Old 23 November 2007, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think it's a bit rich blaming the cops unless you are sure what the law says about this sort of thing. Are they allowed to break down a front door and arrest the guy? If he is found sitting on his sofa with a large whisky in his hand - is this loophole closed now?

Terrible thing to happen and I really hope your wife quickly gets over the trauma and so pleased that your daughter is OK. Quite a night! dl
Old 23 November 2007, 09:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Could be wrong, but I always thought that the you couldnt refuse to give a breath specimen or blood sample for drunk driving if the police ask ( if you do, you just get assumed guilty ). As your wife had an independent witness who said the merc driver seemed drunk, then he used his car as a battering ram to get away, I would have thought the police had every right to knock his door down to get him tested - particularly as his damaged car was at the house !

Unless of course they recognised the number plate as being their Chief Inspectors and didnt want to ***** up their promotion prospects.

In the merc drivers defence though most of them cant see further than the end of their bonnet - its why they have the little badge on there so they have something to focus on.

Last edited by MikeCardiff; 23 November 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:50 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Firstly, I'm glad no-one was too seriously injured.

Secondly, get in touch with Milamber from the Essex Scooby Crew - he's a solicitor and I've seen him be VERY helpful on our boards with matters such as this!

Hope it all goes well for you all and good luck with baby!
Old 23 November 2007, 10:04 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

sorry they were too busy bothering someone with tints 5% darker than legal.

realy sorry to hear this, but glad all ok
Old 23 November 2007, 10:50 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you get on the phone to the Chief Constable pronto and put an elephant-sized flea in his ear. Ask how he would like to explain to the national press that they don't bother chasing a guy who has been weaving all over the road and then rams someone to get away after rear-ending them. Remember that this is the time of year that the police crack down on drink-driving before Christmas.

On the other side, be prepared that the driver, if with half a brain, may well argue that he rammed to get out as he thought the van driver and your wife were about to jump out and shoot/ carjack/ kidnap him, especially driving an S-class. That's what I'd argue if I was paid to. (I think it's a Beckham type of defence). However, not opening the door to the police afterwards takes a bit of explaining.
Old 23 November 2007, 11:02 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I think it's a bit rich blaming the cops unless you are sure what the law says about this sort of thing. Are they allowed to break down a front door and arrest the guy? If he is found sitting on his sofa with a large whisky in his hand - is this loophole closed now?
It's not that I blame them for, but for saying they can only do him for leaving the scene when there is at least one independent witness to say he deliberately rammed another car containing a pregnant woman and a small child. Am I the only one here who can see that they are in the wrong here and you don't need to be a lawyer to work that out, just employ some common sense. They basically don't want to get involved, well tough as that is their job!!
Old 23 November 2007, 11:14 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Too difficult to prove for the coppers, involves legwork, taking statements etc. What the police will probably do is issue a sec 172 notice and hope the driver will confess and incriminate themselves. Due to the seriousness of the offence he wont reply and get done for failing to identify (6 points £1000 max fine) unless its a company car and no points will be issued

Andy
Old 23 November 2007, 11:18 AM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Police can no longer break down doors to arrest drink drivers, the law was changed about 2 years ago.

If the driver has had a drink after the accident the police will take a reading on a camic machine (expensive breathalizer) or the police doctor will take blood and send it off to a forensics lab. They can then back calculate roughly how much they have had to drink before the accident. Its not massively accurate but it gives a guide of how drunk they may have been and is enough to get convictions at court.

In my opinion from what has been posted i'm sure there would have been grounds to force entry to the other drivers property, I know i would have. Although without knowing all the facts i wouldn't like to say the officers were wrong.

Martin

Last edited by martinbrown; 23 November 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: brain freeze

Quick Reply: Wife involved in hit and run...