Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Been told I need poxy glasses by optician GRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2002, 10:43 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I wish id never gone, but as he said i shouldnt even be driving as they r so bad.

Anyway, if ive got to wear these THINGS I want a nice decent designer pair and theyve got to be rimless so u cant see them as much, so question is who knows of a good site thats cheap & got a good selection of quality milk bottles.

recomendations please

Thanks
SCOBY
Old 13 January 2002, 11:01 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

What about contact lenses??

Had them for about 15 years..... no probs at all

(got glasses that I sometimes wear in the evenings, but very rarely go out with them, just don't need to, keep them by the bed in case I have to "deal with anything" during the night.)
Old 13 January 2002, 11:12 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

I did ask the opticians but he reckons ive got a dry eye, but thanks for the idea & sorry i forgot to put that in the 1st post.

SCOBY
Old 13 January 2002, 11:33 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

IMHO -- rimless ones look sh1te. Try www.visionexpress.comp. I've got titanium (i.e. thin) ones with 30% thinner lenses -- in my experience the rimless ones just make the glass look thicker. How bad's your prescription?

[Edited by carl - 1/13/2002 11:33:39 PM]
Old 13 January 2002, 11:36 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

try not to use contacts, they can and frequently do cause damage in the long term.
Old 13 January 2002, 11:43 PM
ChrisB

Hey Scoby. I've been wearing glasses since I was a wee nipper but it's no big deal.

My latest frames are from Boots - some snazzy Titainium ones with thin lenses. Not cheap but very comfortable when you wear them all day, every day. IMO, best bet is to pop down to Boots, Vision Express or D&A - they all usually have a special offer on.

I've known people buy glasses even when they didn't need them.

Chris.
Old 14 January 2002, 12:34 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

my first pair were georgio- sat on them so many times i only use specsaver now.

Tiggs
Old 14 January 2002, 07:03 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I have worn glasses since I can remember, but I have been unlucky enough to be very short sighted, so thin lenses and titanium rims cost around £400 for me

I use Specasaver for glasses and contact lenses
Old 14 January 2002, 07:26 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've been wearing glasses since I was seven so... <shudder> 23 years now. I started out with the brown and back NHS glasses, nasty and heavy even for plastic.

I have also made the switch to contact lenses (about 10 years ago), nice two weekly disposable ones from Johnson & Johnson. Contacts have really come on since the only options were hard or soft lenses. The range of disposables available now is quite incredable.

Depending on your prescription becareful what style you go for, any good optician will actually spend time with you when you are selecting (not Vision Express in my past experiance - but that might have been a particular day with that store).

By Brother-in-Law has had to start with glasses, the optician and recpetion staff all gave their options on the glasses he was choosing. He did really like on pair and the did look okay until he stuck them on his face... then no... boy did they tell him (in a constructive way).

There was a point in the ramble, if you are selecting glasses take someone who knows you and you trust. There is nothing worse than putting on a frame and think it looks good (especially if you wear glasses and have a strong prescription) only to find out later they make you look like Dame Edna!

BTW At least with contacts you can choose any pair of sunglasses.

Mark
Old 14 January 2002, 09:01 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another speccie wearer here Again since I was 7. NHS glasses were a nightmare. 'Proclaimers Style' black or 'Grandad Style' brown tortoise-shell.

Thank God times have changed and glasses seem to be almost in vogue at the moment. I currently have Police frames for both my regular and sunglasses. But last week I ordered a new pair of Guess frames with thin lenses. Managed to get them in the Boots half price frame sale (£60 for frames, £110 for lenses). The lenses have got anti-scratch and anti-reflection. I really recommend the anti-reflection, as it is great for night driving.

Cheers

TONY
Old 14 January 2002, 10:04 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by Tiggs:
my first pair were georgio- sat on them so many times i only use specsaver now.
Amen! I had the same dilemma with some Ralph Lauren ones, followed by some Calvin Klein ones. Also when the kids pull you about it's v.easy to end up with bent glasses. I got two pairs from specsavers (one titanium, one steel) both with thin lenses for 300 quid which I thought was pretty good (it was their 'buy one get one free(ish)' sale).
Old 14 January 2002, 11:27 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Smile

Scoby

I only started wearing glasses a year ago for reading, night driving and pc work (all the time then ) and was amazed at the choice of good looking, trendy designer frames out there. I got my titanium Red or Dead frames from Vision Express, eyesight test to fitting of finished specs in 1 hour! They weren't cheap but have been well worth it IMHO, if you get the right pair (Vision Express have a girl who helps you choose and suggests frames which will suit you) then you can look just as good wearing them as not. My other half recently updated his specs with a frameless, lightweight pair from Boots - Boots own designer frames - and they look fantastic, again they weren't cheap but they really suit him and he finds them very comfortable to wear. All I would say is if you're going to be wearing them all the time then frameless are good but if, like me you are constantly taking them off, leaving them lying about then putting them back on again I'd go for something a little more robust

Sal
Old 14 January 2002, 11:41 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sal,

Glad to hear you had a positive experiance with Vision Express helping you. Like I said ealier I guess it was just the day I went that the service was a little less than I would have liked.

Checking what you look like with a -5.25 and -6 prescription is a little awkard!

Still prefer my prive practice, but then they do know me and check things over carefully. Even noticed when I had been wearing my contacts for slightly longer than I should have...

Mark
Old 14 January 2002, 12:59 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark - I went to the Harlow store, the girl there is very good. She helped choose mine, my sisters, my mums, my nans and my dads! Funny thing is my sister chose her new frames a week before I chose mine, when we met up a few days after I'd got mine it turned out we'd chosen exactly the same pair, albeit in different colours!

Something else I mean't to say is I've got the anti-glare coating which is fantastic for night driving.

Sal

Old 14 January 2002, 01:08 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Huh? The antiglare coating is supposed to benefit people looking at you (it's on the front), not the other way round. (The thin lenses have a higher refractive index, hence the critical angle is closer to the normal. The practical effect of this is that without the antiglare coating people just see a load of shiny stuff instead of your eyes from a position anything other than straight ahead).

[Edited by carl - 1/14/2002 1:09:09 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 03:53 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Anti-reflective coating isn't for people looking at you, it's for the glasses wearer
Old 14 January 2002, 04:03 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Thinner lenses don't mean higher index... higher prescription generally means higher index and iunless you pay for the thinner lenses you start to get thicker lenses.

There are some newish lenses avaiable that can be made thin and counter the issue often found with high index lenses, namley straight lines bending.

I remember almost throwing up waling down a long corridor witha square tiled ceiling, checked tiled floor and horizontal lines on the walls. All the lines where bending and cuases a serious case of motion sickness... not something I normally/ever suffered with.

Sal - I was in the Ealing store on a Saturday... maybe that was it. Still took longer than one hours as well!

Spooky about your sister as well!

Mark
Old 14 January 2002, 04:08 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

MATTeL -- no, the glass has a refractive index (around 1.5). The refractive index is a property of the glass, and is invariant to prescription. As your prescription gets stronger, they make the glass more concave (short-sighted) or convex (long-sighted). 'Thin lenses' use a 'glass' with a higher refractive index (around 1.6 -- up to 1.7 IIRC for the Carl Zeiss stuff) which means the glass bends the light more for a given amount of concavedness or convexedness.
Old 14 January 2002, 04:11 PM
foxyange
Scooby Regular

all i can say is PRAISE THE LORD for prescription sunnies i only need glasses for driving, and these are a godsend my dear!!!

(and at night no1 can see the driver anyway so you don't need to worry about looking cool and gorgeous...)

beware though... both of mine have the same frame... the sunnies look fine but the plain ones... spazz-a-rama. Thank god I don't have to wear them much (I cant wait til my prescription's up or I break them!!! I would "accidentally" sit on them but I'm a srudent so I don't really want to shell out so soon after buying these!!!)

Old 14 January 2002, 04:18 PM
warrtster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Another vote for Boots, they frequently have 1/2 price sales on designer frames and the staff are generally good to deal with
Old 14 January 2002, 04:18 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Prescription sunnies -- not so good in carparks or the Dartford Tunnel
Old 14 January 2002, 04:54 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Anyone else scared that SCOBY needed an optician to tell him he needed glasses? Too many blind fewls prowlin our roads I say
(always worn specs -8.50 and -8.0 (truely blind))
I prefer lenses as glasses make everything look smaller and screws with your perception.
Chuck
Old 14 January 2002, 05:07 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Toby you 4eyed git
Old 14 January 2002, 06:53 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Only time I got specs from Vision Express they managed to get the correction for my astigmatism 90 degrees out. Usually wear contacts but got two pairs of specs from my new opticians for about £70 a couple of years ago. I'd recommend them anytime - but I guess they're a bit far for you to travel to!
Old 14 January 2002, 08:56 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Talking

So Foxyange is a srudent........ is that like a student??

[Edited by Steve Williams - 1/14/2002 8:57:24 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 09:36 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anyone know where I can get a pair like Roly's off Grange hill.

Nobody should be scared of my driving cos as long as i keep following those white bits ill be okay and it will save me a lot of DOH, just think £300 on milk bottles or £300 on car mmmmmm.

4 eyed git (SCOTT) to be honest the optician said im only really using 1 at the moment what have you got to say to that U Old 4 Eyed Git . Hows your beast going, hopefully ill see what you look like at the next meet U GIT

Im gald i cant see that good, cos Pete Croney just took me back to my gaf & oh **** I hope he didnt smell it, very scary, very fast but an excellent driver so bring it on I dont care, give it all youve got cos I cant see FACK ALL (LOVED IT REALLY COULDNT STOP LAUGHING TO MYSELF) Thanks Pete

Any way thanks for all the info

See you soon (WHERE YOU GONE)

SCOBY
Old 15 January 2002, 09:06 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Chuckster you are as blind as me, I think we even have the same prescription