Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Argh! Jobs worths make me so angry!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2007, 10:24 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Argh! Jobs worths make me so angry!

Need to vent some rage!

I rent my house, through a private land lord, its a nice house and it costs me a small fortune but its cheaper than a mortgage in the present climate..

Anyway the gas safety check was due; British Gas used to take care of it but they are useless they just show up without any notification when I'm at work then write a letter saying 'You weren't in'.. The land lady decided to go through a local Corgi approved company (called "Tony Lee's") to do the checks.

So to cut a long story short a Lady from Tony Lee's phones me on Wednesday morning, at work, on a with-held number and say's "Hi, we are calling on behalf of your land lady to organise a gas safety check; is tomorrow morning ok with you?".. Well obviously tomorrow morning wasn't ok with me as I'm not a lazy scumbag I actually work.. So I said "no sorry I'm at work".. To which she replied; ok we'll ring 30 minutes before the engineer arrives and you can come home and let him in..... She didn't stop to think that I might actually work more than 10 minutes down the road and I might actually have more important things to do with my time!

So I told her I couldn't do that and made it clear it was a stupid thing to say... Then I (quite helpfully) said I am off work on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of December, I will be home in the mornings and that would be perfect.. She told me that wasn't good enough and she would talk to my Landlord and hung up the phone on me!!

I was ABSOLUTELY FUMING because of this! And to top it off she phoned my land lord and said I was being un-helpful, so my land lady told the company as long as its ok with me she may be able to let them in on the 30th November.. I spoke to my land lady that evening about the call I received from Tony Lee's and I explained that I would prefer to be there as it is where I live and I would like her to respect my privacy and of course she agreed that would be for the best and I should organise them to come on the 3rd of December..

This morning I phone up Tony Lee's and tell them I would like to book the engineer to come on Monday 3rd December.. And the same lady went into some massive job-worthy spiel about how its their obligation to check the gas appliances and that they WILL come on the 30th and the land lord WILL have to let them in.. This really rattled my cage and I explained it is my home and I will decided when they are allowed in, to which she replied: "No its up to your land lord, and she says we can come on the 30th"....

How in gods name can someone who works for a private company and has zero obligation to do anything be such a f**king jobs-worth!

Bottom line is the house has an alarm system and only I know the code ;o) I have a great relationship with my landlady and this self rightious little monster is going to screw it up!
Old 22 November 2007, 10:30 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd ask your landlady to use someone else. Just say they are being very rude with you, and its probably best for her to use someone else anyway.

Technically though, she is correct. If she has your landlords permission then she may enter the premises to perform maintenance so long as you have had more than 24 hrs notice. That notice must technically be in writing unless it is for a non predictable emergency.

When does the certificate run out? That may be why they are pressuring you into letting them in before you are off work.
Old 22 November 2007, 10:39 AM
scoobysportjay
Scooby Regular

when the chap come kick **** out off him
Old 22 November 2007, 10:41 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The Certificate expires on Sunday (26th) so the 30th is to late anyway lol so 2 days are not going to make squat of a difference..

Its now more down to the fact that the relationship between me and my landlord is very good and it really pisses me off that this woman can really be so careless to mess it up!
Old 22 November 2007, 10:41 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysportjay
when the chap come kick **** out off him
Old 22 November 2007, 11:17 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We have had two letting agencies completely **** up the relationship with us and the Landlord (in previous houses) when we have done nothing wrong and got on really well beforehand.
The only way to deal is directly for everything it seems.
Old 22 November 2007, 11:23 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I deal directly with the Landlord, we used to go through an agent but they were useless! Been there for 3 years now and never caused them any grief, I keep the place maintained and tidy. But it seems all it takes is one silly cow to **** everything up!
Old 22 November 2007, 12:14 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Ring them up and arrange for some gas safety checks to be carried out on some of your properties..........
Old 22 November 2007, 12:15 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

tell the landlord that. I'd be calling up that lady to have words with her. In the food chain, she is right at the bottom and should be reminded of that
Old 22 November 2007, 12:21 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
tell the landlord that. I'd be calling up that lady to have words with her. In the food chain, she is right at the bottom and should be reminded of that
This is what I dont understand, they are merely a customer of the Landlord, I am the landlords primary concern she should be careful what she says but no she seems to not give a sh*t about getting lairy with me! I told the landlord I think they are bang out of order but theres not really much else I can do.
Old 22 November 2007, 12:55 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Tell the b1tch to **** off, u wont hear from her again!!!!!
Old 22 November 2007, 01:05 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Just had the landlord on the phone.. Shes told them its got to be 3rd, 4th or 5th and from the way she was talking I think they will get told to **** off in future..
Old 22 November 2007, 03:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

my sort of landlord
Old 22 November 2007, 04:06 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Gets 10/10 from me
Old 22 November 2007, 04:22 PM
Vampire
Scooby Regular

Mine are utter jobsworths too. I've been here 3 years and the last 2 safety inspections have missed out the toaster and kettle that came with the house, basically because they've been packed in a sealed box in the loft since I moved in, along with all the cutlery and kitchen utensils that belong to the landlord. When I moved in I decided to just use all my own stuff.

This time however, they demanded to test the kettle and toaster even though they are never going to be used and have been in a box for 3 years, and even though they didn't test them the last 2 times.

They basically demanded that I unpack the box from the loft, find the two appliances so they could test them, and then put them back again.

They wouldn't test the ones of my own that are actually being used either.
Old 22 November 2007, 04:25 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Thats frickin bonkers!

I hate this whole health and saftey life style we seem to be abosrbed by!
Old 22 November 2007, 04:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i had a management visit yesterday for my apartment, bloke walks in, has a quick look about and then starts rabbiting on about scoobies for the next 20 mins

then he is off LOL
Old 22 November 2007, 04:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry. My dad had a visit from the chap in charge of making sure a kit car should keep the donor plate rather than getting a Q plate. We were on edge. 5 minute glance at the kit and half an hour enthusing about the old tractor that's next to it

Nice toaster story
Old 22 November 2007, 08:16 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Reading Davey's first posting on this thread, I do detect some attitude coming from his direction also. He sounds a tad stubborn and bloody minded. Think its half a dozen of one and six of t'other.
Sure wouldn't like to be stuck in the jungle with the pair of them !
Yve
Old 22 November 2007, 08:40 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Reading Davey's first posting on this thread, I do detect some attitude coming from his direction also. He sounds a tad stubborn and bloody minded. Think its half a dozen of one and six of t'other.
Yve
yer loads of attitude there

he totally took the **** when requesting a timed visit...
Old 22 November 2007, 09:10 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Yve
So if someone phoned you at work, unprompted, on a with-held number and virtually demanded you be at home the next day to let them into your home you'ed not have an issue? Is your second name carpet?
Old 22 November 2007, 09:15 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Sounds like you have a cracking Land Lady, as for the other piece of work. I'd be very tempted to go down to her office and tell her to use the same attitude face to face. Snotty cow. How dare she dictate when your "home" should be visited. It's your private space at the end of the day and no one can dictate when they can enter. ooohhh, some folks need a good slapping
Old 22 November 2007, 09:23 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Yeah my landlord is a stroke of luck! I would love to go down there and have words but it won't solve anything.. I even diplomatically appologised to her for being angry and explained why I was angry.. Did she return the gesture? Did she f**k!