Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2007, 01:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing banks?!

What would you change bank over?

Have you ever changed banks?

I have been with HSBC since they were Midlands, and its the first account I set up.

Over the last month I have been having problems with my switch / maestro card, in so far as it does not work in chip & pin machines! I can get cash out of the cash point, but for some reason it doesnt work in the little machines.

HSBC sent me a new card, it worked once, now it doesnt work again. I just spent 3/4 of my lunch time sat in the bank for them to tell me that the card is fine and there is nothing they can do!

The other day I wanted to buy a pair of trainers, went to pay and the machine wouldnt work! Wouldnt swipe it and let me sign for it as its now against their company policy so I had to find a cash point to get the money for them.

Its frustrating as hell, but having never changed banks - how easy is it? And is there anyone out there that are better than the others?
Old 21 November 2007, 01:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I went from Barclays over to Smile last year - Best thing I have done in ages.

Customer service is about a million times better, UK call centres, extremely helpful staff, low banking charges.

Basically they are everythign Barclays isn't.

As for how easy it is - Extremely. I set up a new account, then shifted everything over. All it took was phone calls to those places I have Direct debits with. They do it for you if you ask.
Old 21 November 2007, 02:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Pete, suppose I need to start looking into what banks offer what and how good the customer service is?
Old 21 November 2007, 02:49 PM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i moved from ABBEY too HSBC, as said above, start new account and get them to change over all ya direct debits etc...
Old 21 November 2007, 02:52 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Cheers for that Pete, suppose I need to start looking into what banks offer what and how good the customer service is?
I have heard good things about cahoot, and smile was recommended to me. I would certainly look around, and phone up thier customer services number, even if you don thave an account - just to see where you end up and how easy it is to get through.
Old 21 November 2007, 02:57 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

To answer the initial question, I would change over something really small.

I've had an overdraft on my current account for a number of years, never changed since the account opened, last month got a nice letter...

"We have conducted our annual review of your overdraft facility and have agreed to maintain it's level for a further 12 months. The £25 admin fee will be debited from your account...."

Never been a review or fee before so I'm off. It's so easy to change your account these days and I'm lucky enough to be fairly well paid so the other banks really want the business.
They provide a service and if you get poor service or are charged inflated prices in any other field, you take your business elsewhere.

The only place I wouldn't bank is the one I work for!!
Old 21 November 2007, 03:10 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Have been with HSBC for 13 years. Never had a problem, still speak to the same woman at my local branch if i ever need anything and she rings me up every so often to check if everythings ok or advise if there's a better option for my savings etc. I don;t have any fancy account, just a current and a savings!

Opened an account with smile a few years ago.. nothing but trouble, crap cutomer services and rude staff on the phones!
Old 21 November 2007, 03:13 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Went to A&L this year after 10+ years with RBoS. Went ok, all done online. Only real hicup was 2 DD's failed to move over and had to be done again but the rest went over ok.