Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV Footage

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2007, 01:55 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV Footage

Bit of a different question than the usual topics on here.

Basically i have had an email regarding some footage of the floods back in July that i have on Youtube.

Someone has emailed me saying that they would be interested in using the footage in a documentary for channel 4.

The footage is only about 30 seconds long but shows just how bad the motorways were.

However they said that they cannot afford to pay anything for the footage as they dont have much of a budget. Although they do seem to want it badly.

Anyone had any experiences like this?. Should i insist for some money or be charitable?.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 14 November 2007, 01:57 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

They probably don't have a huge budget as progamme makers but they're fecked if they don't get material. To be fair, they have asked you and many wouldn't have bothered, so maybe suggesting a charitable donation would be a happy ending for all?

R
Old 14 November 2007, 01:59 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Well if its a tv production company they will or should have enough to give you a little bit of money.

tell them to whistle otherwise.

Lets just say cameramen are on upwards of 200 quid a day!!!!
so they can afford to offer you some beer tokens
Old 14 November 2007, 02:41 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

They pay to play or no way.
Old 14 November 2007, 03:13 PM
springbok
Scooby Regular

This is channel 4 you are talking about, I think they may have a budget to pay you something, else tell them to whistle. They make a lot of money from adverts so I don't see why they shouldn't pay you a fee to use it.

If it were a charity type company asking to use it to raise funds etc then that would be different.
Old 14 November 2007, 03:32 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Springbok i think your mistaken slightly (although i may be wrong meself)
Channel 4 wont actually make the programme (although it may have its own production company like ITV does) it will be a production company that makes it and sells it to channel 4, even so these production companies are not short of a few bob.

lets face it, it wont be some skint tin pot company seeing as its channel 4 that is broadcasting it.

A good friend of mine works for Antix productions who do 'Most haunted' on Living TV which is a cable channel and the money in TV is incredible.
Old 14 November 2007, 04:04 PM
springbok
Scooby Regular

Chief,
Indeed you are correct, a large proportion of programming that you see on all channels (BBC included) are made by other production companies. Just look at the end of the credits to see if the program was "outsourced" or not.

The point is though as you say that production company will have been paid a sum by Channel 4 to produce this documentry, so they obviously have a budget.
The production company are simply trying to maximise the profit from the budget given to them by Channel 4.

I have had requests for my rally images from newspapers (local), Motorpsort publications, and individuals who want to use them for marketing.
You be amazed at how many of those requests begin with "we have no budget to purchase the images, but were hoping we could use them for free".

If Dave owns the copyright to the video footage then he is entitled to some payment if it were to be used.

Cheers.

Last edited by springbok; 14 November 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 14 November 2007, 04:15 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Fair comment
Old 14 November 2007, 05:01 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, it isnt actually being produced by channel 4 but by another production. although i am not naming names.

i think its worth trying to get a bit out of them, i could offer them my story too which they seemed interested in having been stuck in the floods overnight as many other people do.
Old 14 November 2007, 05:27 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
They pay to play or no way.

exactly right. a TV production company working for a major terrestrial channel always has budget. if they want your footage, they'll negotiate a fee as you are the originator and copyright owner of the material.
Old 14 November 2007, 05:52 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im sure you have released rights for public transmission by uploading it on youtube.

They probaby only need credit source as youtube in order to broadcast.
Old 14 November 2007, 06:02 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The best solution is to be credited or named in the show.... its hardly a missing Beatles clip, just the floods... and if they look hard enough there's plenty out there
Old 14 November 2007, 06:38 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

Ask them for a couple of hundred quid and a credit at the end.
Get your cash, buy something nice for the car and take the other half out for dinner and a **** up after. Happy days.

Damien
Old 14 November 2007, 10:14 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dave1980
Bit of a different question than the usual topics on here.

Basically i have had an email regarding some footage of the floods back in July that i have on Youtube.

Someone has emailed me saying that they would be interested in using the footage in a documentary for channel 4.

The footage is only about 30 seconds long but shows just how bad the motorways were.

However they said that they cannot afford to pay anything for the footage as they dont have much of a budget. Although they do seem to want it badly.

Anyone had any experiences like this?. Should i insist for some money or be charitable?.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Stick a link up to the clip - I'll tell you what I think it is worth.
Old 15 November 2007, 07:16 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i will see how i get on before i put the link up. its only about 30 seconds long though.