Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The fat greedy basteward!

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2007, 08:54 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The fat greedy basteward!

While watching a bit of TV last night, I heard a bang from another part of the house, so went to check what it was.
On going where I thought it was I discovered..................Tuvaaq (the dog)
He had managed to get into the room where I keep his supplies, and was not only racing his way through a big section of a bag of Arden Grange. But also having a damn good go at getting through the rat nuggets too (yes I keep rats too lol)

The end result, a very bloated, very over fed dog who could hardly move. Expecting him to blow it all out again very quickly through one end or the other, I stayed up til gone 1 with him.

Nothing!
He is slowly going back to normal size after each visit outside. But has not complained about not having his 6am feed today yet. Strange that, eh!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2832.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	982  

Last edited by Snazy; 20 October 2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 20 October 2007, 08:59 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just to add.... on a serious note, I do take this seriously, and have made sure it cant happen again. A bit frustrating when you think you have all the bases covered, and this happens.
Old 20 October 2007, 09:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard a noise from upstair and given the dog is not allowed upstairs.. so up I go fists clenched to find the dog in my PC room with my Gerbils. She had managed to get a bottle of bleach from the bath room and open it and then apparently not liked the taste and decided the Gerbils looked tasty and attacked their cage. Now shes quite big for 15 weeks and managed to rip the cage apart only to free the gerbils and then not actually be able to catch them as they run under tables and such.

BUT she made a lovely mess digging through their sawdust, and for anyone who remembers the pic I posted of my gerbil setup... its fekking MASSIVE !

******* dog
Old 20 October 2007, 09:05 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Noooooooooo when was that mate.

This is ironic. There are 9 rats in the same room as the food. While Tuvaaq was digging through their food and his own. He paid NO attention to them at all. Even though he literally had a captive audiance, as they all watched on from behind the bars.

That can only be a good thing lol.
Old 20 October 2007, 09:42 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

One thing I have learned from having our puppy for the last couple of months - no matter how well hidden and stored away you think things are, the sneaky buggers will find a way of getting to them.

Each week ours gets bigger, and can reach higher up, so we keep moving things out of her way, at this rate we'll end up with the entire contents of the house gaffa taped to the ceiling !

She is a little thief though, she just loves nicking anything she can get and running off to bury it in the garden. Weird thing is there is a 30kg sack of Eukanuba in the porch, and she hasnt sussed that its there yet.
Old 20 October 2007, 09:48 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
One thing I have learned from having our puppy for the last couple of months - no matter how well hidden and stored away you think things are, the sneaky buggers will find a way of getting to them.

Each week ours gets bigger, and can reach higher up, so we keep moving things out of her way, at this rate we'll end up with the entire contents of the house gaffa taped to the ceiling !

She is a little thief though, she just loves nicking anything she can get and running off to bury it in the garden. Weird thing is there is a 30kg sack of Eukanuba in the porch, and she hasnt sussed that its there yet.

That sounds about right The bigger they get......
His run should arrive today so by tonight.... he has a new home to get used to and the food in the house should be safe.

As for the 30kg bag of food. Its when you get home and there is a 15kg sack of food and a bloated dog you have to worry lol.
Old 20 October 2007, 10:42 AM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Weird thing is there is a 30kg sack of Eukanuba in the porch, and she hasnt sussed that its there yet.
Have you had any problems with eukanuba? i only ask because my last dog was fed on that (following a suggestion from our vet because the dog was a bit old and chubby ) and died after about 2 months from kidney failure. He had nothing wrong with him prior to starting on the new food because he had had some blood tests and the like during a check up. The vet couldn't explain it but when my mum went to another vets for a second opinion and explained what had happened he said it was the food. He said it had been banned in the uk under another name but was imported through france (i think) in the eukanuba name. He said it had a very low nutritional value and wouldn't even feed it to strays.

I dont know if this is right but i do know i wont be feeding my dog with it. Worth thinking about and lookin in to in any case

Martin
Old 20 October 2007, 10:48 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

This is ironic. There are 9 rats in the same room as the food. While Tuvaaq was digging through their food and his own. He paid NO attention to them at all. Even though he literally had a captive audiance, as they all watched on from behind the bars.

a few days back... shes now refusing to eat Burns feed which as you know is good stuff. She has to have some tinned food mixed in and I know thats not the best stuff. Her tummy is bad again, got the runs.

I cant win with this bloody dog.. and dont tell me she'll eat when shes hungry, three days I left the food there and the dog didnt touch it.. I gave in after 29 hours and gave her some tinned food. She goes really skinny.
Old 20 October 2007, 11:04 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
a few days back... shes now refusing to eat Burns feed which as you know is good stuff. She has to have some tinned food mixed in and I know thats not the best stuff. Her tummy is bad again, got the runs.

I cant win with this bloody dog.. and dont tell me she'll eat when shes hungry, three days I left the food there and the dog didnt touch it.. I gave in after 29 hours and gave her some tinned food. She goes really skinny.
Not good mate. Would not dream of telling you that, you have had more than enough "advice" on here

One question though.... 3 days or 29 hours?
I used to starve my dog a day a week, let him catch up with himself, as recommended by some breeders. Not the pup mind you.

Have you tried Arden Grange yet out of interest?
Tuvaaq always seems to want more after feeding, but I monitor his weight carefully, so as that increases, so does his food allowance.
He has paid for last nights stunt with an slightly less settled tum. Or should I say I have paid for it.

Martin, a lot of vets are critical about numerous brands, cant always take their word for it. Eukanuba is a well respected name in the circles I believe. While not as balanced as things like Arden, its not illegal.
Sorry to hear about the old fella passing though, never nice, especially when you feel something like this is to blame.
Old 20 October 2007, 11:15 AM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

I agree, the vet was very critical of that particular brand but he recommended other foods from other brands that he had nothing to gain from. It could have all been coincidence but like i said, i wont be taking the chance again

Martin
Old 20 October 2007, 11:17 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came home once to find our labrador laying in the garage panting and surrounded by her own puke STILL trying to eat her way through 30kg bag of dog meal.. The doberman was too stupid to notice the food and was lapping up the vomit
Old 20 October 2007, 11:28 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Came home once to find our labrador laying in the garage panting and surrounded by her own puke STILL trying to eat her way through 30kg bag of dog meal.. The doberman was too stupid to notice the food and was lapping up the vomit
Eeew thats rank, but I guess thats dogs too.
Eat til they blow, then start again.

The breeder I bought my pup from said Sherman one of her bigger males, managed almost a whole 12-15kg bag lol.

Martin, you say he recommended another and had nothing to gain, but sadly some vets are almost in the pocket of one supplier or another. An unbiased vet will not have any displays in their practise, and usually wont be able to supply you with such things either.
As long as he recommended and didnt sell you or try to sell you anything

Do you still have a dog at all?
Old 20 October 2007, 11:44 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have a dog any more myself.. Want to get another Doberman but I wont be getting a German breed one again they are fooking loopy! lol Gonna go for an English American breed.
Old 20 October 2007, 11:50 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
I dont have a dog any more myself.. Want to get another Doberman but I wont be getting a German breed one again they are fooking loopy! lol Gonna go for an English American breed.
Get a Malamute, a challenge from day 1 til they day they die

I miss my GSD/Rotty cross though.
Old 20 October 2007, 12:12 PM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Martin, you say he recommended another and had nothing to gain, but sadly some vets are almost in the pocket of one supplier or another. An unbiased vet will not have any displays in their practise, and usually wont be able to supply you with such things either.
As long as he recommended and didnt sell you or try to sell you anything

Do you still have a dog at all?
The vet didn't try and sell us anything, he gave us a few names of foods that he knew of as being good quality. We wouldn't have been buying anything from him anyway, the dog had died before we went to see him.

Yes, i still have a dog. Long haired shepherd from one of the other threads. Picture of her sat on my couch, making a mess for me to clean up
Old 20 October 2007, 12:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martinbrown
The vet didn't try and sell us anything, he gave us a few names of foods that he knew of as being good quality. We wouldn't have been buying anything from him anyway, the dog had died before we went to see him.

Yes, i still have a dog. Long haired shepherd from one of the other threads. Picture of her sat on my couch, making a mess for me to clean up

Fair play mate, not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything
What are you feeding the GSD?

Aaah the picture, or course
Old 20 October 2007, 12:25 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

martinbrown - we havent had any problems, and the vet hasnt mentioned anything about any problems with the brand. Having a quick look on the web, there was a recall for a lot of moist food produced by the people who make Eukanuba, but it didnt effect the dried food, which is what we feed our dog.

Our vet deals with a lot of border collies as there are a lot of working dogs on farms near us, so would let us know if she thought there was a problem.

Poppy does get vegetables, tuna and other stuff as well as the dry food though.

It does sound a bit odd, perhaps it was a reaction from your dog to something in the food ? or just one of those things that happen for no apparent reason - havent heard any other reports from breeders or owners we know who use it, and they seem to have healthy good condition dogs.
Old 20 October 2007, 12:28 PM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Fair play mate, not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything
What are you feeding the GSD?

Aaah the picture, or course
Im the first to admit i don't know a great deal about dogs but if my experience can help someone else out then all the better

My current dog gets bakers complete i think. Its a long story but basically she is a picky little pooch who wouldn't eat anything but human scraps when i first got her (she was mistreated as a pup). We only found a dog food she would eat when we took her to my father-in-laws and she devoured his dogs food in seconds. She now wont eat anything else, not for lack of trying either.
Old 20 October 2007, 12:30 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell 9 rats. We find 2 hard work at times. Little buggers keep chewing the windows frames. How much free ranging time do you give yours????
Old 20 October 2007, 12:35 PM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

martinbrown - we havent had any problems, and the vet hasnt mentioned anything about any problems with the brand. Having a quick look on the web, there was a recall for a lot of moist food produced by the people who make Eukanuba, but it didnt effect the dried food, which is what we feed our dog.

Our vet deals with a lot of border collies as there are a lot of working dogs on farms near us, so would let us know if she thought there was a problem.

Poppy does get vegetables, tuna and other stuff as well as the dry food though.

It does sound a bit odd, perhaps it was a reaction from your dog to something in the food ? or just one of those things that happen for no apparent reason - havent heard any other reports from breeders or owners we know who use it, and they seem to have healthy good condition dogs.
You are right, it could have just been a bad reaction, it was just a bit weird that the dog suddenly got kidney failure and died after 2 months. It could have been any number of reasons i suppose and if nobody has heard anything similar then who knows.

Last edited by martinbrown; 20 October 2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 20 October 2007, 12:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-ian
Bloody hell 9 rats. We find 2 hard work at times. Little buggers keep chewing the windows frames. How much free ranging time do you give yours????
They usually get quite a lot of freedom in the evenings and weekend. Got to be careful though. 3 "groups"
6 browns (5 boys and their dad)
2 himi brothers
and dear Ginster. Been a miserable sod since his buddy died suddenly. So lives on his own.
So letting them out is done in groups

They have a big old cage to live in, so are not couped up. But get them out as much as poss. Only issue at the mo is, as the run for the dog has not arrived yet (as per other thread) I cant let them out much, as the dog will get the scent and trash the house lol.
Old 20 October 2007, 12:51 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Get a Jack Russell pup ours is six months. You can feed them anything, soil, snails, electrical cord, wood, dry cat food, dry dog food, at least he s eaten all this and suffered no bad stomach. I didnt feed him this by the way he finds it and eats it oh and outside tv co ax cable off the wall
Old 20 October 2007, 12:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
Get a Jack Russell pup ours is six months. You can feed them anything, soil, snails, electrical cord, wood, dry cat food, dry dog food, at least he s eaten all this and suffered no bad stomach. I didnt feed him this by the way he finds it and eats it oh and outside tv co ax cable off the wall
lol sounds like our dogs have something in common.
He goes for it with flower pots, loves trying to get snails. Can always tell when he has found one, he bolts for the house.

No ill effects but avoiding it all at the mo due to him being a pup.
Old 20 October 2007, 01:03 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised ours doesnt get ill considering the amount of crap she eats out of the garden, think she must have had bits off every plant out there, plus drinking from the fish pond, the pond filter and waterfall, eating cat crap ( which we are trying to get her out of the habit of, especially when she tries to come and lick your face afterwards ! ) a frog, various bugs, a slug, hedge clippings, grass, stones and just about anything else she can get in her mouth.

Also loves stealing toilet rolls and running round the house with them tearing them up, destroying cardboard boxes, chewing anything made of plastic, chewing the radiator pipes, eating wallpaper, shoes, clothes and any letters that come through the letterbox if we dont get to them quickly enough.

Come to think of it, I dont think we've actually found anything she wont at least have a go at eating yet.
Old 20 October 2007, 01:39 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Not good mate. Would not dream of telling you that, you have had more than enough "advice" on here

One question though.... 3 days or 29 hours?
I used to starve my dog a day a week, let him catch up with himself, as recommended by some breeders. Not the pup mind you.

Have you tried Arden Grange yet out of interest?
Tuvaaq always seems to want more after feeding, but I monitor his weight carefully, so as that increases, so does his food allowance.
He has paid for last nights stunt with an slightly less settled tum. Or should I say I have paid for it.

Martin, a lot of vets are critical about numerous brands, cant always take their word for it. Eukanuba is a well respected name in the circles I believe. While not as balanced as things like Arden, its not illegal.
Sorry to hear about the old fella passing though, never nice, especially when you feel something like this is to blame.

Food was there for 3 days.. but I fed her after 29 hours.
Old 20 October 2007, 03:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

lol sounds like our dogs have something in common.
He goes for it with flower pots, loves trying to get snails. Can always tell when he has found one, he bolts for the house.
We took ours for walks morning and evening when in the Spanish mountains, he just loved those king-size slugs (fat buggers 4 inches long) that would be out over the roads at that time, and even though he'd reluctantly get dragged away, he'd usually sneak back a minute or two later and then it was gone. Eeeuuch!
Old 20 October 2007, 05:22 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention we have two cats also, the dog loves nowt better than rooting around and eating the contents then throws up but always ok. Just not good for my guts
Old 20 October 2007, 05:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
Forgot to mention we have two cats also, the dog loves nowt better than rooting around and eating the contents then throws up but always ok. Just not good for my guts
Eats the contents of the cats ?
Old 20 October 2007, 07:04 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Eats the contents of the cats ?
whoops sorry bud i meant litter trays but think he would eat the small female cat, the ginger tom is twice his size

Quick Reply: The fat greedy basteward!